Turbo on eBay

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Post Reply
jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Turbo on eBay

Post by jifflemon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:47 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Volvo-4 ... SwDnld5jYc

Deffo needs some brave pills to be taken!

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by dcwalker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 am

Very much so!

That's a lot of money for a car that doesn't even run...you could be taking on anything there...

I think even you might resist that one, Jeff :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 2010 V50 SE)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
Jaster
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by Jaster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 am

That's annoying, two turbos come up for sale on my doorstep in about as many months and they're both knackered. Will keep an eye on it out of interest though as I drive past that yard fairly regularly, and it's just round the corner from where I do most of my maintenance.

The Oxford main dealer in the 90's was a Motorworld and all the cars they sold had that sticker in the back window, so it's quite possible that it's been in the area for some time, although clearly not on the roads.

Tempted to drop in and have a look, but worried I might leave with a very expensive lump of non-running metal!
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 pm

I'm starting to talk myself in to getting this just to save and sell on. It can't be that hard to get running, registered and MOT'd hopefully. This would just be to increase its chances of survival, not to keep. But then, we've seen what happened to Jifflemon with this benevolent attitude and now he's drowning in 480's.

I did notice that the number plate F52 RPV s registered to a different car now so I guess the DVLA would issue a new plate or its original. I wonder‎ what happened there? Someone transferred the plate off because it matched their initials maybe? It seems a bit odd. 

1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2003 Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 (Big Ren)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 pm
But then, we've seen what happened to Jifflemon with this benevolent attitude and now he's drowning in 480's.
You say drowning, I say paddling merrily... :rofl:

Multiple 480's are great... Until they ALL need fixing...

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm

If I didn't have the shonky C70 I would be diving in with both feet!‎ It is taking up space, time, money and is rewarding to drive *sometimes* in return. 
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2003 Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 (Big Ren)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by dcwalker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:53 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm
jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 pm
But then, we've seen what happened to Jifflemon with this benevolent attitude and now he's drowning in 480's.
You say drowning, I say paddling merrily... :rofl:
Ah yes - paddling along and waving frantically at the same time... ;)

Of everything in the photos, I think it's that flat tyre that gives this car its sad, unwanted air...it would be great to save it, certainly, but only after initial investigation as to what exactly might be wrong with it (and I don't mean the cosmetic bits).

D
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 2010 V50 SE)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Martin Mc
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 am

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by Martin Mc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:31 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm
If I didn't have the shonky C70 I would be diving in with both feet!‎ It is taking up space, time, money and is rewarding to drive *sometimes* in return. 
'Shonky' - technical term?? :rofl:
Volvo 480 - There's NOTHING like it!
Previous 480 pedigree: 1992 ES (1.7 White) 1993 ES (2.0 Red) 1994 S (1.7 White) 1994 ES 2.0 (metallic red) 1995 S (1.7 Black) #467 / 480 Celebration (flame red metallic) 1993 ES (2.0 Paris Blue)
Every decent bloke deserves an extra-marital car (so my wife tells me)(apparently it keeps me out of mischief.... really..)

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by dcwalker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm

Martin Mc wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:31 pm
jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm
If I didn't have the shonky C70 I would be diving in with both feet!‎ It is taking up space, time, money and is rewarding to drive *sometimes* in return. 
'Shonky' - technical term?? :rofl:
Not sure what it means - shaky and wonky? - but I have no doubt my C70 is shonky as well... :lol:
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 2010 V50 SE)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 pm
I'm starting to talk myself in to getting this just to save and sell on. It can't be that hard to get running, registered and MOT'd hopefully. This would just be to increase its chances of survival, not to keep. But then, we've seen what happened to Jifflemon with this benevolent attitude and now he's drowning in 480's.

I did notice that the number plate F52 RPV s registered to a different car now so I guess the DVLA would issue a new plate or its original. I wonder‎ what happened there? Someone transferred the plate off because it matched their initials maybe? It seems a bit odd. 

lack of a V5 can cause 'untold misery'

Given it's a breakers yard and they are selling as 'spares' then I doubt if you'd get a V5 . .. . . .
they'd sell as 'complete' with V5 as more profit in that? although £650 gets you a pair of rear lights . . . . :wink:

PS ..... RPV seems to ring a bell as a car I've seen on here previously???
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1810
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm

Getting V5 for my car was very easy, however I hadn’t figured in breaker’s yard possibly being a little dishonest. Hopefully it isn’t registered as scrap or that would be a pointless purchase unless it is a reversible situation. To be honest I probably need some good reasons not to do this.

If mine is in the body shop much longer it would be nice to work on this in the garage then sell it on for mega profit when mine comes back. Hahaha like that’s ever going to happen! I don’t think I’ve ever made money on a 480, even the one that went to Germany for top money last year.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2003 Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 (Big Ren)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm
it would be nice to work on this in the garage then sell it on for mega profit
Yeah, look how thats worked out for me so far! :rofl:

User avatar
MisterH
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 398
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by MisterH » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 pm

PS ..... RPV seems to ring a bell as a car I've seen on here previously???
Here it is in previous life:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128691640 ... st-2g9rE1p

Arctic Blue does look really good with the full colour bumpers...
Current Jobs to do (30/12/19):
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:42 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm
Getting V5 for my car was very easy, however I hadn’t figured in breaker’s yard possibly being a little dishonest. Hopefully it isn’t registered as scrap or that would be a pointless purchase unless it is a reversible situation. To be honest I probably need some good reasons not to do this.

If mine is in the body shop much longer it would be nice to work on this in the garage then sell it on for mega profit when mine comes back. Hahaha like that’s ever going to happen! I don’t think I’ve ever made money on a 480, even the one that went to Germany for top money last year.
James

not suggesting any 'dishonesty' at breakers yard, and yes I've bought a car without a V5 and manged to get it registered etc but that was many moons ago.

I guess if you bought (cos we all know you want to) you'd have to present it at a local DVLA office (whatever they call themselves this week) to make sure it is what you say it is .. . .

I think you an check it's not stolen/written off etc?
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

User avatar
Jay-Kay-Em
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Huntingdon
Contact:

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:17 pm

DVLA closed all local offices about 8 years ago. You’re right, vehicles had to be presented for an ID check but amazingly that is done via photo nowadays. You forward your pics of the VIN plate to Swansea - only if they ask.

Essentially claiming a V5 is easy with form V62. I say easy...

I’ve just done a job where a gentleman bought three “barn find” Honda motorcycles without V5s. He applied for a registration document (x3) using a V62. Turns out, the bikes lived in some council garages that got knocked down and the bikes were “cleared”. The true owner didn’t even know about the demolition (so were not reported stolen) as he lived remotely from the garages, despite the council making best efforts to contact. When the V62 process contacted the registered keeper saying someone is after a V5 for your bikes, naturally he wanted his bikes back. New purchaser loses them all and it becomes a painful civil dispute.

So my advice is never buy without a V5 as the term “ownership” can be a grey one. Or buy knowing the risk, either or.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:17 pm
DVLA closed all local offices about 8 years ago. You’re right, vehicles had to be presented for an ID check but amazingly that is done via photo nowadays. You forward your pics of the VIN plate to Swansea - only if they ask.

Essentially claiming a V5 is easy with form V62. I say easy...

So my advice is never buy without a V5 as the term “ownership” can be a grey one. Or buy knowing the risk, either or.
ref photos, have the DVLA not heard of photo-shop, or just take random photos of another car!!!!!

yes lack of V5 should push price quite low down, unless the breakers yard have a 'good' reason.

If they are legit which they seem to be then they can advise if stolen/recovered, CAT A, B, C etc???

so James, what are you waiting for? ;)
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Turbo on eBay

Post by jifflemon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 am

looks like they're now breaking it - rear lights already gone.

Post Reply