1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dcwalker
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by dcwalker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Well spotted James - I hadn't noticed that! Must be great for people following Mister H who get a free windscreen wash each time he wants to clean his back window! :D

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1995 Celebration masquerading as 346/480
Previous: Celebration 269 (sadly abandoned project), Celebration 73, 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:29 pm
Well spotted James - I hadn't noticed that! Must be great for people following Mister H who get a free windscreen wash each time he wants to clean his back window! :D

David
I might try and fashion a substitute out of plasticard for scale modelling, but will have to see. I don't suppose replacements are easy to come by?
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1485
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:07 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:29 pm
Well spotted James - I hadn't noticed that! Must be great for people following Mister H who get a free windscreen wash each time he wants to clean his back window! :D

David
I might try and fashion a substitute out of plasticard for scale modelling, but will have to see. I don't suppose replacements are easy to come by?
Tricky to get hold of, but they do come up if you keep asking people who are breaking cars, etc.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red
1992 Renault Master Mk. 1. Machzone Chateau camper. 2.0 LPG

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:07 pm
MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:29 pm
Well spotted James - I hadn't noticed that! Must be great for people following Mister H who get a free windscreen wash each time he wants to clean his back window! :D

David
I might try and fashion a substitute out of plasticard for scale modelling, but will have to see. I don't suppose replacements are easy to come by?
Tricky to get hold of, but they do come up if you keep asking people who are breaking cars, etc.
I'll have a go at making a replacement at some point this week. Speaking of breakers, what became of the 87 lakes car?
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1485
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm
I'll have a go at making a replacement at some point this week. Speaking of breakers, what became of the 87 lakes car?
Good point! I'll call them tomorrow!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red
1992 Renault Master Mk. 1. Machzone Chateau camper. 2.0 LPG

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm
MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm
I'll have a go at making a replacement at some point this week. Speaking of breakers, what became of the 87 lakes car?
Good point! I'll call them tomorrow!
Let me know how it goes!
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:22 pm
I see you are missing the rear wash wipe jet. I don't know if that is an MOT fail. Jifflemon used to do MOT's, maybe he can confirm/deny this?
Absolutely will not fail an mot. Neither would headlamp wipers if we had them!

Alan 480
480 Veteran
Posts: 753
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:52 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:35 pm
Today's progress:
Pop-Ups now both work (relay needed a bit of a contact clean and some WD40
Brake lights now work
rear drivers side brake is sticking less but not perfect
the car is ready for an MOT, however, when trying to fix the Speedometer issue, a discovery was made:
Image

it would seem that there is nothing where the sensor should be, unless I am looking in the wrong place, but the Haynes Manual stated that it is on the right side of the transmission, which is that point of view. should there be anything there, or am I looking in the wrong place?
cable looks a bit 'twisted/contorted in it's route, I don't think that ours follows that way ????

it just sneaks up into the gap without the rubber cover????

the connector is down below the air intake, sits almost on top of the gear box and the connections might be worth a wiggle, or at least clean both ends with a pointy thing then re-assemble, a bit easier than trying to solder them in place, fixed my speedo issue :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre, C30 1.8ES, SS1 + more

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Dropped the car off at my local garage for an MOT yesterday following a snowy, icy introduction to the 2010's for the car. once the engine had warmed up, the car drove very smoothly and happily, and didn't have any issues on the road. at the garage, It was met with praise by our friend who runs the garage, he said that it was a straight car for what it is, to which I agreed. Under the car in the inspection pit, I smothered it in WD40 in all the drains and under the arches (It hasn't got any serious rust and the rear arches are near perfect, so I am not going to let that change now!) and had the first proper look underneath. It would appear that the front offside anti-roll bar could do with a change. I left the car at the garage for a cam-belt change and the completion of the MOT, and shall fill you all in on how that goes!

Image
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Image
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

arthuy
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by arthuy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:33 pm

I would check the speedo plug which is on top of the diff

Image

Image

Image

You can check the resistance towards the sensor and the speedo head. If you pull the grey speedo wiring plug you can test for continuity between the cable ends.

The cable is bad for the outer wire breaking.

Image

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37 pm

arthuy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:33 pm
I would check the speedo plug which is on top of the diff

Image

Image

Image

You can check the resistance towards the sensor and the speedo head. If you pull the grey speedo wiring plug you can test for continuity between the cable ends.

The cable is bad for the outer wire breaking.

Image
ahh, thank you, that is exactly what I have been looking for, when I get the car back Ill take a look, Thanks so much!
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

arthuy
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by arthuy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:20 pm

I made up a test lead which I then used to replace the original cable.

Image

Although it looks like there as two wires (green and black) it is a coaxial type cable which you can just make out from my photos. The Black cable becomes a braid wrapped around the insulation of the green. The braided wire on mine had broken in several places so I replaced with the two core cable as per my photo.

Image

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2ps-Auto-Car ... :rk:1:pf:1 2 pin connectors.

Once you get your head around it is easy to see why it breaks.

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1485
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 am

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm
MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm
I'll have a go at making a replacement at some point this week. Speaking of breakers, what became of the 87 lakes car?
Good point! I'll call them tomorrow!
Called in very late on Tuesday and the car owner has gone very quiet apparently. He wasn't well.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red
1992 Renault Master Mk. 1. Machzone Chateau camper. 2.0 LPG

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 am

jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 am
jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm
MisterH wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm
I'll have a go at making a replacement at some point this week. Speaking of breakers, what became of the 87 lakes car?
Good point! I'll call them tomorrow!
Called in very late on Tuesday and the car owner has gone very quiet apparently. He wasn't well.
Sounds about right from what I heard over the phone, thanks for enquiring though.
My car should be ready to pickup by the weekend, at which point I will go about trying to mend the Speedo
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1485
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am

Good luck! Just in time for the May meet!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red
1992 Renault Master Mk. 1. Machzone Chateau camper. 2.0 LPG

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am
Good luck! Just in time for the May meet!
when and where is that?
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1485
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:34 pm

MisterH wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 pm
jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am
Good luck! Just in time for the May meet!
when and where is that?
Keep your eyes peeled on here. It should be announced soon by Sylvia (dragonflyjewels).
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red
1992 Renault Master Mk. 1. Machzone Chateau camper. 2.0 LPG

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:22 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:34 pm
MisterH wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 pm
jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am
Good luck! Just in time for the May meet!
when and where is that?
Keep your eyes peeled on here. It should be announced soon by Sylvia (dragonflyjewels).
Thanks! shall watch out
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

User avatar
MisterH
Started learning about 480
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns

Post by MisterH » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 am

Got back from the MOT yesterday, the long way around. Tested its practicality with a small supermarket shop with went well in the boot. The car drove very well, fast and chirpy, but could do with some new tires. Jobs for today are glass cleaning and investigating the speedo
Current Jobs to do (31/03/19):
Fix Speedometer
New Tires
Fix Radio/Cassette
Gearbox difficulties

Post Reply