OBD box

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dagajsek
480 Newbie

OBD box

Post by dagajsek » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Hello!

I got a lot of useful info on this site, so decided to use it again, because I am a bit lost right now.

I own a B18FT engine, fitted into a renewed R5, now in the middle of resoldering all the wires to fit a smaller car.
I plan to use all the Volvo stuff, with electronic speedo.
Engine came from a beaten up 460 Turbo, made in 1994, had AC and ABS.

I bumped into a problem regarding OBD box. I can not find any good description of how components are fitted for box to work.
I could only use sockets 3 and 7 (only ones with wires fitted) and am now very much lost, because I took loom apart in intervals and now can't figure out where to wires go. Also some online manuals are totally confusing me.
So, top ones are probably ground and + from junction box, but from here on I am lost. On nr.3 the cable went into a cabin and I think goes to Jetronic, because I found a cable of the same colour. for the wire on socket 7 I've got no idea where it went before, I have a suspicion that it was directed to the speedo, but again, not certain :) What do you think, is the diag box conected to Jetronic? what could be the black wire on nr. 7?

what are those cables separated by plugs? I saw they are test points for led lights, but does someone know where are they going? On my loom I only have one, brown-gray coloured wire, that goes to Jetronic computer and one of the same colour, that goes to EZ210. The one that goes to EZ was once cut off, I can not recall when and why, not even if that was my job :)
Because i have one spare of the same colour, is it possble that Jetronic and EZ share that same cable, so are connected through it? Are those the diagnostic test points?? Are those the wires for tests with LED? Where are they soldered to on the other end?
The spare loom, that i took for taking some broken connectors off, has two of such wires, one brown and one blue brown. I think that loom is older than mine.

thank you very much for help!!!

It is much appreciated!

regards,
Damjan, Slovenia

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Re: OBD box

Post by jamesy12345 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:27 am

Hi Dagajsek,

The diagnostic unit and test point plugs are not really required for day to day use.....is the car running/working now?

Here are some wiring diagrams online:

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/volvo480/downloads.php

And a thread that contains information about the different pins for the LH-Jetronic ECU:

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... =3&t=34017

Hope this information is of some small use! Good luck with your project
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

dagajsek
480 Newbie

Post by dagajsek » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks for the links, I have tons of schemes, but all are without diagnostic box connections. It took me at least 4H of reading through everything i have, joyful :hopping:

Well, it has been running, just for 5 minutes or so, has been very lumpy but that was the first time the engine was started after complete service so am not exactly sure if anything is broken.
I know I won't use those every day, but still, the car itself will be used very rarely, I would just like to keep the functionality of the 460.

I think I now got it for the box, one wire 98 % goes to the Jetronic, the other one is in my opinion an ABS diag wire and I think that is now more or less sorted out.

I still can't figure out what's with those plug wires, what is their purpose, what can I use them for?
I will let the one that connects to Jetronic as it is, It will just get shortened, but don't know where does it go on the other end, is it connected to some sensors or what?
On a separate, spare loom, the other end was connected to a capacitor that is hidden in the insulation of the plug that connects to the ignition coil. I don't recall the same was with my loom.

Also the connection between EZ and Jetronic remains a mystery, the plug test wire, as i said, that is connected to Jetronic was cut off and one of the same colour is now available on the EZ connector, but am not sure if this thing was connected here or if there was a seperate test plug.
How much of those plug wires do you have on your cars?

Are they, in everyday car joined or separated?

480 Newbie

Post by 5781848 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:25 am

Hello, is anybody detect where this wires go from diagnostic box?
I have same problem - no this box in right place - just few cut wires....
Is any body know how to connect Volvo 480ES B18E-104 Siemens Renix 411921 40 43-06 S100803102 H (Fenix 3A) 1987 year - to PC for use some diagnostic software like XR25PC or other. There so many information on internet how to use diagnostic software and how to connect to PC old Renault with Fenix 3A, but I can't find any information about Volvo.
Thank you in advance!

Pictures and labels of my Renix/Fenix 3A(1 or 3.2) here...http://1drv.ms/1EunYVZ
Thank you for your time!
With best regards,
Dennis