MOT Failure: The Sequel

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

shaughnessy10
480 Newbie

MOT Failure: The Sequel

Post by shaughnessy10 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:45 pm

Took my beloved 480 for its retest today, new seatbelt working superbly, handbrake adjusted etc. But again it failed due to 'no reserve travel on handbrake'. This caliper was replaced last year and he reckons it is applying pressure, but not enough and not soon enough.

I'm going to take it back to the place that replaced the caliper last year (I've only done 6k miles this year and there aren't even any hills in Hull) and see what they say, but what is reserve travel? The handbrake works fine!

A frustrated Rob and off the road 480.
1989 Black ES

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Re: MOT Failure: The Sequel

Post by Agwa Moose » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:18 pm

shaughnessy10 wrote:he reckons it is applying pressure, but not enough and not soon enough.
From that I'd guess he means it's not reacting fast enough when you pull the lever, probably a slack cable, tighten it up and see if that sorts it out, might be an idea to check adjustment at the calipers as well

Could be an idea to ask whoever did the mot exactly what he means

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

shaughnessy10
480 Newbie

Post by shaughnessy10 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:26 pm

This is what's frustrating. The cable is tight and won't adjust any further. I thought that the caliper would be fine after only a year's use.
1989 Black ES

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:07 pm

take up the space in the caliper with the adjusters?
i think for the mot, your allowed 3 locks (ie...the wheels lock the rollers)
but for overall, theres some equation to work out overall performace....you have to hit a minimum of 50%.....
if youre loose on one side, it could drop the whole down below this?
not sure exactly what reverse travel is?
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]