I am considering buying a C30/V40

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

phil480
Knows where Volvo is from

I am considering buying a C30/V40

Post by phil480 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:32 am

Sadly my 480 failed it's MOT yesterday and needs a fair bit doing to get it roadworthy again. I have been considering selling it over the past few months as my living situation has drastically changed. I'm now divorced with my own mortgage and bills to pay. So a 480 money pit is less sensible now.
Whilst I consider what to do about my 480, I will need another car to use.

Of course, I would like to stick with Volvo if I can. I do like the C30's and the newer V40 range (the hatchback type, not the estate), they would be a good fit for my needs. Question is, what are they like to live with? Anyone on here own or have previously owned one and can say if they are a good idea or not? I've not had a "modern" car since my Rover 25 back in the mid 2000's, and that was pretty basic compared to the 480.

I will post when I've decided on what I'm doing with my 480. My initial thought is let it go to a fellow enthusiast on here who can justify spending the time and money on restoring it. I'd rather it go to someone who will rescue it than see it stripped for parts.

Many thanks!
Current: 480 GT 2.0 '94 in Red
Previous: 480 ES 2.0 '93 in White K464SWP -Sold in 2009. Presumed dead

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: I am considering buying a C30/V40

Post by jifflemon » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:49 pm

One of my Daily's is a P2 V70 (about 2004). Its about as modern as I dare go and annoys me constantly because of the dreaded "computer needed."

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely thing to drive but....

Front end rattles like skeletons fornicating in a biscuit tin. It's got new everything, and still does it.
Remote central locking doesn't work - even WITH the bloody computer it's a Volvo only job that's £400+
Its an auto which means it WILL explode one day, despite me changing the oil every year and flushing it when I first got it.
Its got overcomplex electronics, which are coded to the ecu. So, for example, the electronically controlled throttle body, which always goes faulty, but you can't just swap it for another, as the ecu won't talk it - We can thank Ford for this wonderful idea.

Whatever you choose, research it first.

And obviously, I'd recommend keeping the 480 - Even as a weekend tinkerer! However, if it has to go, let us try and find it a home first!

phil480

Post by phil480 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:07 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:49 pm
One of my Daily's is a P2 V70 (about 2004). Its about as modern as I dare go and annoys me constantly because of the dreaded "computer needed."

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely thing to drive but....

Front end rattles like skeletons fornicating in a biscuit tin. It's got new everything, and still does it.
Remote central locking doesn't work - even WITH the bloody computer it's a Volvo only job that's £400+
Its an auto which means it WILL explode one day, despite me changing the oil every year and flushing it when I first got it.
Its got overcomplex electronics, which are coded to the ecu. So, for example, the electronically controlled throttle body, which always goes faulty, but you can't just swap it for another, as the ecu won't talk it - We can thank Ford for this wonderful idea.

Whatever you choose, research it first.

And obviously, I'd recommend keeping the 480 - Even as a weekend tinkerer! However, if it has to go, let us try and find it a home first!
Thanks Jeff, that's the main thing that worries me about modern ones, too many things that only Volvo can fix. From what I've read about the C30 so far, they sound pretty reliable and there are a few about fairly cheap it seems.
Regarding my 480, if it does have to go, I will post here first and foremost before anything else.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:23 pm

I have a 1800 C30 57 plate, seems OK and done 80000 miles, still comfy enough,

but allow wheels are laquer free and have been since 10000 miles :-(
seat is shredded (twice) at 15000 & 30000, I'm only 11 stone so not excessive weight?!?!?

it seems to eat front wishbones due to the void rubbers becoming 'totally void', but maybe could avoid changing them.

electrically the ABS went phut within 30,000 or just after but they did it on warranty as so many had failed, and i played the 'VOLVO safety card'

engines are ford, i was getting an Exhaust gas recirc fault code, but cured, it I think with £12 solenoids, i got fed up switching off the warning light . .. . .

Fraser has a diesel c30 so can add comments
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:49 pm

I've had a couple of older V40s (S reg and 02 plate). Useful, probably reliable and decent lifespan. Cheap. My last one (I think diesel) was quite expensive to insure though. Could be due to changing to it part-way through a policy and not being able to shop around though.

I've had a 2.0L R-Design C30, 2013 purchased from Volvo Selekt. Had an issue with excessive oil use, I was advised it probably needed a new engine by one garage! I had it between 58 and 88K. It failed MOT for excessive black smoke last year so not sure what the person had to do to remedy that....or how much it cost. It's a simple drive, nothing exciting but of course, unlike a lot of other modern cars, it certainly is easy on the eye.

The earlier ones you can get for under £2k now but the later (2012/13) you're looking around £5500-£8500 for a reasonable mileage one. If you need to use the back seats a lot you might get fed up with the lack of space there. The front seats are not exactly smooth movers either. I am someone who is fetching and carrying a lot so that port-hole hatch was a hindrance at times. Rear seats fold flat as the 480 ones do.

I know mine had a timing chain, fuel filter was not something that could be changed as it was 'part of the engine', I'm told. All crammed in under the bonnet like all new cars; you won't be able to do much yourself if you like to.

Really boring to clean if detailing is your thing; very plastic and curvy. Nice to have the bluetooth connectivity, parking sensors and other gadgets but I kind of expected to feel like I was really splashing out on something swanky (I also only usually only have older 90s cars - this was the newest thing I've ever had!) but it was a bit underwhelming and got a bit boring...but still looked nice. Pros and cons. :D

I would have another as I do love their style and shape but I would definitely go diesel next time. Some are in a heavier tax bracket than others too if that's important. Can't really remember if fuel consumption was an issue, don't think so. About average. I do drive like a nanna most of the time though.

I was leaning towards getting another but now I'm considering scratching the old single-cab pick-up itch when the other two cars have run their course.

phil480

Post by phil480 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:11 pm

UPDATE
After giving it some good thought, I decided to go down the newer car route. So my 480 will be for sale on here first. I will make a post with all the details in the appropriate section soon. I'm sure it can be saved by somebody who can justify the time and expense, it would be a shame to see another GT be stripped for parts.

In the mean time, I found myself a very clean and tidy C30, almost immaculate and very well looked after and serviced. Took it for a test drive and was pleased with how it drives. That will be ready for me on Monday.

The 480 will be SORN and hopefully will fit in my garage along with my 2 motorbikes until it finds a new home.

I am sure I will regret selling (I sure did on my last one). I was tempted by a 480 ES in Peacock Green in much better condition and half the mileage that has been up for sale near me for a while now. It's £5k though.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful :)

David
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by David » Mon May 01, 2023 5:02 pm

I'm driving a 2008 2.0d C30 R Design at the moment. I like it. They are cheap to buy and so far mine has been relatively cheap to maintain, despite it having over 200,000 miles. I still miss my 480, but they are not practicle to live with every day unfortunately.

GCooper
Started learning about 480

Post by GCooper » Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm

I'm driving an S40 1.6 d at the moment, very similar to the C30 I believe not sure about the wheelbase though. Good car but nowhere near as exciting at my 480
'94 Volvo 480 GT (project)
'98 BMW Z3 (daily)