Rescue car: R6 - our first GT

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Rescue car: R6 - our first GT

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue May 25, 2021 6:16 pm

Time to come clean - when 2 480s (one GT, one ES Auto) came up for sale on the dreaded facebook page last week, Jeff alerted me and I tried hard to ignore them. The seller was a Tyre Dealer in Kent who said straight away he knows nothing about 480s, just bought them cheap after the owner died and if he didn't get a better offer he was going to scrap them both for £220 each plus £220 for the cats. Someone offered £1000 for the two almost straight away, so I heaved a sigh of relief but still worried about it being breaker money. The MoT history looked remarkably good, both been mot'd relatively recently, few fails and no mention of corrosion. The pics showed wheel arches that looked like they might be ok. So, I hoped they would be saved and tried to forget about them. Then a frantic message from Jeff, the sale had fallen through and the seller had to get rid of them pronto (we know now that one had no tax and was threatened with clamping and crushing)

Luckily I have a 480 friend in Kent called Andrew, who has been known to save the odd 480 himself in the past but being almost as decrepit as me there wasn't much chance he'd use facebook. I got in touch on Sunday and he very kindly offered to go yesterday to have a look and report back. A long phone call ensued, there is some rust on the arches but not a lot on either car. The GT needs paint, it has various small dents on the driver's side, tatty front bumper and circular marks like coffee cup rings on the roof, slightly more rust on the arches than the other one but still savable and a bit of welding needed just on the ends of the sills. The interior leather is cracked but no holes or splits. One window doesn't open/close properly, usual break on the dash and odo not working, one seat belt arm broken, front lenses need replacing, splitter broken - nothing surprising there. More surprising, all washer jets present and correct, there is a roller blind in the boot (not standard on a GT) and full set of Volvo mats, Vesa wheels in pretty good condition. Boot looked pretty much rust free although the spare wheel wasn't taken out (it was tipping down with rain). Both cars start and run, and the GT still has tax although the Mot ran out in January. Apart from the lights, it MIGHT just pass an mot as it is.

Andrew's opinion was that both cars were far too good to scrap so we um'd and ah'd over storage. Andrew's wife had forbidden him to buy any more 480s (he had 4 Celebrations at one time) but softened and offered to foster one for a short time (how short ? half an hour caused laughter, we will have to wait and see)

The best price Andrew could negotiate was £900 for both and the seller agreed to deliver the GT to Andrew, 20 miles away, free of charge. So, the deal was done, the GT is now on Andrew's front drive, cash changed hands and promptly got re-imbursed by bank transfer. My plant selling season is off to a good start, fingers crossed it carries on.

Here are pics of the GT, now R6: -

Jeff has decided we are both insane, but I have told him I dont want to know what else comes up for sale for about 6 months !
Last edited by dragonflyjewels on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rescue car: R6 - our first GT

Post by MisterH » Tue May 25, 2021 6:25 pm

Well chalk up another one, we really need to start calculating what percentage of the surviving 480 population is owned by members, or associates, of the club :rofl:

In all seriousness I have never known another club more committed to saving a model, you get the occasional story like the 400k mile Rover SD3 saved from scrappage, but to have 6 cars pinched and at least secured, is something I have never seen before.

Next week, knowing how irony tends to work, there will probably be a 1987 car in Silver Grey Metallic come out of a barn that needs saving :crazy:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Rob88h
Started learning about 480

Post by Rob88h » Tue May 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Great job - this kind of thing makes me very happy!
Is there a way I can support outside of physical storage? Is there a charity fund scheme, like adopting a Koala, but for 480s?

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 pm

There certainly is a fund, I have trouble finding the link for it myself so I'll start a thread that just announces it and gives the link. Needless to say, all donations gratefully accepted whether cash or parts or any other help anyone can give us.

Now, where is that link ?
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:54 pm

With the possibility of R3 leaving the snactuary in the next week or two, Jeff is already scouring the photos of R6 looking for faults. Any donations of parts needed gratefully received - anyone got any bits of broken splitter ? :lol: The two turbos have enough bits to make one complete splitter between them - we'll see how Jeff gets on with that, but meanwhile if anyone removes broken bits please don't chuck them !
Sylvia

hubby has

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:52 pm

If you haven't already worked out from the photos....

DRL's: I think I've a saveable lamp unit, but I suspect we're going to have to get some Joep lenses.
OSF driving lamp.
NS window regulator.
Electric aerial
OS seat belt popper
Front Splitter - Again, I suspect we're going to be begging Wayne for a deal...

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:44 pm

They say that nature abhors a vacuum......

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:48 am

I have an O/S driving lamp which will be shipped to the UK.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

cranna21
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by cranna21 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:39 am

if it helps on the splitter front, put my name down for one :)
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 212bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'08 XC90 D5 SE Premium

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:02 pm

Thank you Robert !! Ace as usual.

Re splitters, thank you Fraser, the more I can order the better. Anyone else want one ? I'm hoping to get the price down to around £75 plus post. Happy to bring them along to a meeting if it helps.
Sylvia

hubby has

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Fantastic! Lots to get on with but it is in the best hands. Well done to all involved in it’s journey to Jeff’s place and parts supply.

By seat belt popper do you mean the arm or just the little button that stops the buckle sliding too far down the belt when not being used?
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:48 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm
Fantastic! Lots to get on with but it is in the best hands. Well done to all involved in it’s journey to Jeff’s place and parts supply.

By seat belt popper do you mean the arm or just the little button that stops the buckle sliding too far down the belt when not being used?
The pin has snapped off in the arm

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:49 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:02 pm
Thank you Robert !! Ace as usual.
In fact it was another person with the same first name who should be thanked. :)

Last Sunday I've got a phone call by an elderly man, who told me he has sold his house, will be moving to France in 3 weeks and needed 3 boxes of Volvo 480 parts to go, so he decided to donate it to the club. What you will usually get is mostly junk but I went to pick it up anyway, and indeed many parts were (broken plastic interior bits, rear wiper with stripped bolt, used light bulbs, that kind of stuff), but there were many gems and most important, it was all for free.
Most parts I've already distributed to the needy (what's not going to be picked up, has just been posted), but there was one drving lamp that remained. I've already got a almost-like-new set in my spares loft, so was wondering where this should go... and there you are. :D
Needless to say I'm going to pay him a visit again with tools, to make sure the instrument cluster in his 480 won't ever fail.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:37 pm

In fact it was another person with the same first name who should be thanked.
OK, it was nice of him to think of the club, but someone had to collect it all and sort through it, and is now going to send the much-needed lamp on, so you are still the ace as far as I'm concerned ! :rofl:

Anyway, this thread has got a bit scrambled due to me having a horrendous list of stuff to catch up on - I will now concentrate on photos to post re the transfer.
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:12 pm

Right, photos sorted, here is R6 loaded up at Andrew's, number plate taped to keep the ANPR in check, and showing off perfect gas struts. No banged heads with this one !

A recent visitor took one look at the front of R6 and said OMG, Andrew, what's happened to your car ?!! Of course, his flame red Celebration was safely tucked up in the garage. :lol:

Usual pitstop in with the HGVs

Details of the paint needed - both front arches dented, both rears starting to rust.

Lord only knows what happened to the front bumper

Note the LED's in the drls - maybe the owner was a club member on here ? Or maybe just had the same idea.

For those who have been following the threads on R6 & R7, you will recall my theory that since both cars came from the same owner, and both had incorrect rear badges, it was going to be for the same reason. I started off with de-badging, but then found broken glass in the spare wheel well on R7, pointing to little tykes and a replacement hatch. I now realise, R6 didn't get the same treatment as the correct registration is etched in the hatch. Maybe the GT part of the badge came adrift and got pulled off - certainly Svens' GT is starting to droop and Junk's badge had GT dangling. Not any more though, it's now with Jeff to replace the tiny GT which Andrew thinks came from a Ford. Good effort on the part of the owner though.

As usual, by the time we were back in Norfolk, the interior had been gutted for a thorough clean and my phone was red hot from updates

Now, back to Jeff for details of his sterling work.
Sylvia

hubby has

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:33 pm

So, it arrived at the sanctuary, and unlike many of the recent guests, started and drove off the trailer!

So lets see what we're dealing with....

Pair of corner units, OS Driving Lamp (now donated by Brinkie!), front Splitter, Number plate mount. Bumper needs paint, lower grill at jaunty angle, needing some investigation. Number plate itself is bloody awful and wants replacing!

Oh joy - Leaves piled up. Living under trees is not good for them... Battery is way too big, explaining why the bonnet wasn't sitting correctly (and thank the lord it's fibreglass!)

Well..... Who would have predicted a pair of blocked drain holes eh?

Add a keying to the list of paint work.....

And I've no idea what's happened here? Perhaps its a little too cold? :rofl:

no idea.... Super hot cups of tea?

Quel surprise! It needs rear lights! :rofl:

Step inside and you get the first look at the marmite interior. Unique to the UK GT's, you either love it or hate it.

It's been well baked, so is going to need some love....

And some dubious repairs need undoing....

As well as some of the usual suspects!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:45 pm

Jeff tells me we need an offside front fog light - the brackets are broken off R6's and the Celebration he's breaking had 2 broken ones. Can anyone help with that ?
Sylvia

hubby has

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:10 am

So, as I'm sure many of you already know, the first thing I like to do on a rescue car is clean it.... and so

A rather solid looking boot floor! lets get the rear seats out!

A not unusual amount of filth.... Front seats next! Lets check where the SRS is....

Ah, get that to the 'Locked' position, and remove the seats

Then lets get the pre-wash on....

remove the upper trim dirt traps....

Give it all a good blasting.....

Removing, of course, the classically blocked scuttle drains

And if we've got the interior out for cleaning, we'll need the door trims out too.

and we even found genuine volvo mats in there!

Quick startup (to dry the engine bay) and a check over of potential issues revealed this....

a popup that doesn't....

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:35 am

Loving the picture storyboard - a car coming back to life and receiving TLC is a wonderful thing :)

More!

M
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:53 am

Who thinks we're done with cleaning? :nuts:

the interior still needs sorting, so after a bloody good vacuum, its time to attack the carpets with a drill brush

before extracting the filthy water...

and doing the mats

and boot carpets

So, now we're done cleaning right?

Nope! :lol: A dig around the engine bay revealed there's LOADS more to do! Leaves are a nightmare, they're collect everywhere and then their only way out is to rot through the metalwork.

Remove the air box, see what I mean?

On the wonderfully tight side, I discovered the rear washer pipe was off.

So, we did what needed to be done, and got the lot out....

Power steering pump and bottle removed

then the bottles themselves. Now marvel at the horror....

Remove the worse of it by hand

then send in the chemicals and pressure wash the lot.

Obviously, it'd be rude not to clean the washer bottle...

so with the engine bay a little healthier, mechanical work can now commence.