The Wolf roams

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: The Wolf roams

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:09 pm

After the excitement of getting the info centre working I assumed the fuel gauge was wrong as it said 'fuel and I had filled the tank last year albeit some had leaked out..
Well, on my way home tonight the car started struggling to accelerate, great I thought what now then it died on me so I coasted to a safe space.. Tried to start it again and it just ran at 500rpm, head in hands moment..
First thing to check was the fuel even though I was SURE there was enough in the tank, at least half..
I asked the missus to come and rescue me and she brought a can of petrol, bung it in and she roared back into life, the car not the missus 😎
Oh well could of been worse
To be continued
Whitewolf
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Nice easy fix, makes a change for a 480 ! :lol:
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:29 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:09 pm
After the excitement of getting the info centre working I assumed the fuel gauge was wrong as it said 'fuel and I had filled the tank last year albeit some had leaked out..
Well, on my way home tonight the car started struggling to accelerate, great I thought what now then it died on me so I coasted to a safe space.. Tried to start it again and it just ran at 500rpm, head in hands moment..
First thing to check was the fuel even though I was SURE there was enough in the tank, at least half..
I asked the missus to come and rescue me and she brought a can of petrol, bung it in and she roared back into life, the car not the missus 😎
Oh well could of been worse
To be continued
Whitewolf
How could you possibly doubt the computing integrity of the Volvo Information Centre? :rofl:

Glad it’s all sorted and you found a suitable refuge area. I wouldn’t fancy that on one of these “smart” motorways.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:19 am

:lol: glad you got it safely sorted and quickly.

A rare case of "Volvo Info Centre 1, human 0" - look on the bright side of your misfortune; such a moment should be cherished :rofl:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:15 pm

I was smiling when I got home that's for sure, I had visions of tow trucks and tears 😥
Luckily for me it was a nice quiet road with speedbumps and streetlights, that would have been a nightmare on a smartmotorway or twisting country lane...
I shall have to get a plaque installed on the dash for this rare occurrence of the info centre being correct, I did whisper into the cluster "I'm sorry I doubted you" when I was driving home..
I shall buy 'Regan' an air freshener as a so sorry gift 😅
I have named her Regan after the girl out of the Excorcist film, a lot of people's heads spin like hers when I drive past 🤣
Anyway I don't need the bible YET so all is well 😎

To be continued....
Whitewolf
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:02 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:15 pm
I shall have to get a plaque installed on the dash for this rare occurrence of the info centre being correct, I did whisper into the cluster "I'm sorry I doubted you" when I was driving home..
:lol: I can imagine doing just that! Always a light tap of praise on the steering wheel when you get to and from a place without the need of a recovery truck!

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:38 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:02 pm
WhiteWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:15 pm
:lol: I can imagine doing just that! Always a light tap of praise on the steering wheel when you get to and from a place without the need of a recovery truck!
🤣🤣🤣 I am glad I'm not the only one, even pulling upto a junction I praise her for not stopping...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm

Glad to hear we arent the only ones that talk to ours. A friendly pat on the top of the dash and a 'well done' after every journey does wonders :lol:
I shall never forget Al criticising Snazzy as he got out only to have the door swing shut and bite his fingers!
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm
Glad to hear we arent the only ones that talk to ours. A friendly pat on the top of the dash and a 'well done' after every journey does wonders :lol:
I shall never forget Al criticising Snazzy as he got out only to have the door swing shut and bite his fingers!
😂 Good to hear I'm in good company then, I hope Snazzys bodywork wasn't damaged 😎
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:48 pm

:lol: I talk to mind too - praise them and encourage them, apologise if the fault is mine (eg staying in too high a gear for the hill I'm asking her to climb).

Mind you, I have also found that threatening a car with either being replaced or - even more dire - the scrapyard can sometimes shake them out of a longer term grumpy session...

I think we're all mad on here!! :rofl:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:55 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:09 pm

been there , I spent ages trying to get an old Robin van going after some tinkering, it's amazing how much fuel you burn just pottering about the garden!! I'd poured in a gallon. and it is only 850cc ;-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pm

We are all bonkers one way or another 😂
Onto the fuel issue, I went to fill Regan up today and the info centre stopped working 🤣 It froze the other day, refused to move off of the fuel gauge today did a bit of break dancing then just stopped... Fuse is fine as the radio was still on.. The clusters will be going on holiday soon..
I like how quiet this car is as well, my last turbo the wolf didn't have a cat or any silencers 😎 At one time I was running just a side pipe with no back box 🤣 Coming home from work in the morning with foot down all the birds used to scatter from the trees... I eventually put a Cherry bomb out of the side of the car to quieten it down... I much prefer the set up for now, stops my teeth rattling 🤤
To be continued
Whitewolf....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Greetings all....
It's been long few months for one reason or the other, I've had a bit work done on the car in the recent months, it was desperately needed...
I replaced the subframe bushings along with the near side wishbone as the old wishbone was bent, the subframe was basically hanging on 3 bushings, a few months ago the off side wishbone was replaced as the old one snapped on full lock..
I've had the brakes and discs done along with all 3 handbrake cables..
All 4 shock absorbers and all of the drop links..
The track rod ends have been done, new Pirelli P1 tyres are going on tommorow at a cost of £70 each the tracking will also be done....

As we speak new ignition leads are going on, they are Formula power I believe and are a bigger size at 10mm, new plugs, oil and filter will also be done..

I've purchased a new recirculating dump valve, this one is made fully of aluminium I believe...

I'm sure I've missed a few bits, I have to get a quote for the rear end as it needs a bit of loving especially the rear arches, they are not too bad as they've been done before and just need touching up...

All in all it's going ok, the next major thing is I need doing mechanically is the front anti roll bar off side attachment point, the one inside the engine bay, it sadly needs welding and I believe the twisting of the subframe and associated parts have ripped it from the mounting...

A dream for the future is to get the engine done, I have a few options...
Just get it fully restored as standard or go for my favourite option of fully forging the engine and running a standalone ECU with associated upgrades...
It will cost a bomb but it will be funny keeping up with these new Audi's 😆

Anyway, I hope everyone is ok and doing well....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:59 pm

The info centre is still nonfunctional.....
Maybe a trip is due soon....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:31 pm

I had the tyres fitted and the alingment sorted out and I must say it drives like new... The roll bar needs attention but the engine mounts seem fine, even changing gear there is no feeling of movement from the engine...
I purchased a multimeter as I wanted to check the MAF as I hadn't read the value since buying the car, I checked the figure on the MAF and it was 63ohm and it was suggested by Robou in the manual to set it at 530ohm, it needed 15 turns to get to the recommended figure 😆
I'm suprised the car drove....
I must highly recommend the Pirelli P1 tyres as well as it makes the car soooo quiet also the grip is unreal...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:33 pm

I also need to buy 4 bolts for the wheels..
I had the car inspected underneath and it's solid, it's just the arches that need sorting and the edges around the windowscreen.. Off side front wing as well will need taking off along when the engine comes out..
Fun, fun, fun

To be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 am

WhiteWolf wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:33 pm
Standard bolts? I'm guessing your replacing locking wheel bolts? Drop me a PM, should be able to help

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:00 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 am
WhiteWolf wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:33 pm
Standard bolts? I'm guessing your replacing locking wheel bolts? Drop me a PM, should be able to help
Yeah, it was for the locking nuts that had to be removed by force, I managed to order some the other day for around £5 and they should be here by Wednesday...
Thanks for the reply though..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:48 pm

Greetings all.....
I've had a fiddle with the car today and found a few interesting things...
I tried the code reader, and amazingly it worked, it only has socket 3 & 5
A few codes were found on socket 3, code 4-4-4 seemed to pop up, no power to the hydraulic valves on the abs unit?? I've just remembered I meant to check the plug to the unit, I'll do that tommorow... It bought a few other codes relating to the right rear wheel sensor, I'll get that checked out as I've had the breaks done and during the process found the right rear brake pad was down to metal were as the left rear pad was only half worn, we believe the handbrake cable was effecting the caliper..

Also in socket 5 code 4-5-2 was found, misfire on cylinder 3, I read it's a false code caused by a new starter motor Volvo fitted which interferes with the ECU.. I checked the leads anyway and number 3 wasn't on properly, coincidence maybe...

The most joyous find was the throttle body switch which wasn't set correctly, there was no click when turning the head, a few turns of the screw and the click reappeared.. This allowed me to set the bypass screw on the throttle body which was basically closed, even 2 turns and the revs were too high... With the throttle switch set you could give it 5 turns and the idle stayed the same.. Progress!
I took it out and the boost wasn't there, at all, it was limiting itself to around 4psi, I took her back and reset the ECU, took her out again and she's fine..
I took her out again and it's full power all the time which is great, it was retarding something before, I have to say though under full load in second gear it stuttered slightly, though in third gear the boost was crazy and it's a real shame it doesn't happen in second because that would be a fast car to 60..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:46 am

Greetings all....
The wolf has been SORN for a few months for various reasons but will be back on the road next month.. I need to purchase a new heater controller as mine works on and off and I believe it needs soldering, that what I'm no good at... It's the Aircon one with the buttons, if I push it up into the dash it works!
The instrument cluster still needs sending off, it's been a slow year... Maybe get on the welding this year if things work out...
Anyway, just a quick update on the turbo..
To be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver