Any tips for insurance?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

travelman
Started learning about 480

Re: Any tips for insurance?

Post by travelman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Try going through Post Office.They have various companies and can be quite reasonable.
I have been with O2,but they have just transferred the car insurance to Budget Insurance.Again,I got a very competitive price.
However,I do not know what the policy of any of these companies is,but maybe worth trying for a quote.
I had my XC90 insured with Elephant and after 2 years they tried to rip me off.Even though they dropped over £200 when I said I was leaving I still got the same cover cheaper.So my advice is keep away from them!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Y, Al and I racked our brains trying to remember it, and wondering why. We came to the conclusion it must have been your dad.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 am

I think it IS OK to get added onto your folks policy as long as it is made clear that you will be main driver. ?

I'll ask a guy at work as his daughter has not passed her test (17) and they got insurance for a Fiesta for about £600? (but still expensive :( )

at £5000 you can see why some would NOT bother with insurance, the fines 'used' to be about £150, if you got caught, more likely to get snared now with ANPR :-( and they now impound the car :shock:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Thats the pain with learners, whilst learning they are always under supervision whilst driving so cheaper to add to parents policy. But when they pass just a driver with no experience.

It does get better when you have been driving a while and get older, I pay between £100 and 200 for my cars.

Can you still so a pass plus test? some companies give a discount for it.

My first car in 1999 was a Renault 19, £2700 from the dealer and £200 for their fully comp insurance. Loads of the folk I went to school with went for it as the insurance quotes were the same price as the cars. Lot of these people also bumped or wrote them the cars off so it wasnt around for long. :D

There will be cars tied in with an insurance deal if you look around but the numbers have to work for you.

Unfortunately young and new drivers do crash to often which is why the premiums are ridiculous. If you are doing quotes look at the highest excess, it might bring the quote down to something reasonable. If you were to bump a 480 and even just break a light the repair bull would out weigh the value of the car so you wouldn't claim against it and any third party damage would be covered without you paying an excess so really it is insignificant.

Have you had a look at quidco or any cash back sites?

Not as common as they used to be but look up the local insurance brokers and see what they can do for you. Also NFU and smaller companies.

Maybe look at the modified and performance insurers. The 480 will be around a group 12 compared to a fiesta which is group 2. It will make a big difference. I remember looking at a corrado or old sirocco and they were in the same group as Porsches which seemed crazy as it is a golf in different clothes.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Ben,

Congrats on passing your test! Pulling up at the test station in a 480... fair play!

I passed in 1997 in a brand new R reg Fiesta. I remember trying to insure a modified Mk2 Astra and was over the moon when it sneaked under £1000 with Adrian Flux. Become old like me and insurance will be cheaper than road tax, so hang on in there!

With a limited mileage policy and an intermittent 480 odo cog like mine was, it will be cheap as chips :wink:
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:34 pm
Hi Ben,

Congrats on passing your test! Pulling up at the test station in a 480... fair play!

I passed in 1997 in a brand new R reg Fiesta. I remember trying to insure a modified Mk2 Astra and was over the moon when it sneaked under £1000 with Adrian Flux. Become old like me and insurance will be cheaper than road tax, so hang on in there!

With a limited mileage policy and an intermittent 480 odo cog like mine was, it will be cheap as chips :wink:
Amazing story! yes I think I definitely gave the instructor something to remember!
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 pm

arthuy wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 pm
Thats the pain with learners, whilst learning they are always under supervision whilst driving so cheaper to add to parents policy. But when they pass just a driver with no experience.

It does get better when you have been driving a while and get older, I pay between £100 and 200 for my cars.

yes that is always an issue (learners are under supervision)

you might already have been offered a 'black box' option to keep prices down?

Father-in-law could ONLY get insurane with said box, due to his age (at other end of the age spectrum) :-)

aye at my age insurance for the 'fleet' is < £600, fully comp, although only the SS1 on 'agreed value' as my better half uses the 480 as here 'commuter transport' to various locations, so cannot get the 'agreed value' .. .... :?
Alan

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 pm
arthuy wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 pm

yes that is always an issue (learners are under supervision)

you might already have been offered a 'black box' option to keep prices down?

Father-in-law could ONLY get insurane with said box, due to his age (at other end of the age spectrum) :-)

aye at my age insurance for the 'fleet' is < £600, fully comp, although only the SS1 on 'agreed value' as my better half uses the 480 as here 'commuter transport' to various locations, so cannot get the 'agreed value' .. .... :?
I specifically didn't want a black box as I was uncomfortable with the idea of being watched, but in any case I hear it has to be plugged into the ECU and I don't think it will interface, one of my friends had it fitted the other day
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 pm

I'd but money on it being OBD2 port plug and play
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:27 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 pm
I'd but money on it being OBD2 port plug and play
I'll take your money as that would be too 'obvious' as thebox was well secured and 'hard wired' .. . .

so you say to them you will take a black box, then up to them to figure out how to connect it :-)

you might have no choice if want insurance at 'sensible' level :-(
Alan