First 480, first real project car

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Re: First 480, first real project car

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:44 pm

So I got the foglights and grill put back in. Started her up to go for a trot around the block and realised the wipers are useless, so new wipers as well, thankfully came the next day.
But I've got two new issues right as I should be ready. Fuse blew sometime for the windows/mirrors, don't know why, not tested it yet but I've got a new fuse ready.
And the washer system is not washing. Not sure what the easiest way to diagnose it is, seems like the level had gone down but didn't notice any leaks. Still I'll try and follow the hose tomorrow and look for anything suspect.

Also I did solve the DRLs not lighting up properly, was just dirty contacts. However I've still got the bulb out dash light, so obviously needs a resistor or just replace the LEDs.
-Will
1991 480 ES, 1.7, Arctic Blue
Current status: No MOT, 99% ready I swear

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Washers: front or rear?
Can you hear the pump whirring? The pumps are interchangeable, so if the front isn't working but the rear is, swap them over! (or just swap to test if your front wiring will work the rear pump and vice versa)

May also be worth giving the lines themselves a good blow out if you've got access to something with a bit of air pressure (cycle pump would do nicely!)

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:11 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:50 pm
Washers: front or rear?
Can you hear the pump whirring? The pumps are interchangeable, so if the front isn't working but the rear is, swap them over! (or just swap to test if your front wiring will work the rear pump and vice versa)

May also be worth giving the lines themselves a good blow out if you've got access to something with a bit of air pressure (cycle pump would do nicely!)
All of the above! Didn't hear the pumps with the engine off, so not sure if they only work with the engine on.
I did actually investigate the wiring earlier and accidentally pulled a pump out, found some lovely goo. So I vacuumed (wet vac) all the water back out, gave it a scrub as best I could, left some soapy water in overnight.

Tomorrow I will do as you say and try and clear the lines to be safe. I've got a bike pump and an air compressor so I'm sure I'll have some progress.
-Will

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Lines cleared! Headlight washer and windscreen washer finally works. I think the pump for the rear window might be bad because the line sprayed just fine but still couldn't get it working. Not too important though because the nozzle is off so it just shoots backward, don't really want to do that to people...

One thing I would like to try and fix, otherwise I think I'm ready to go, my drivers mirror doesn't work. Left does, right doesn't, and the opposite for the windows. So obviously fuse is fine. Another part of the equation is the drivers door was replaced due to an attempted break in, so I believe the mirror is the original and everything else is off the donor. So perhaps the wiring in the mirror wasn't connected back properly?

I saw the suggestion of cleaning the physical switches, but I don't really like just sticking a screwdriver in and tugging on the panel unless that's all you can do. Any thoughts?
-Will

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:19 pm

remove the liner for the middle arm rest the you can release the WHOLE assembly with both mirror and window switches.

from mmeeory the clips are at front and rear of the liner

it is a bit of a fiddle as the handbrake cover needs slid off as well .. .

the window switches can be taken apart and cleaned, watch for the wee springs to pop out!!

you could try and swap the connctors on the back of the switches once you have the cubby liner out, saves removing teh plastic assembly?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:19 pm
remove the liner for the middle arm rest the you can release the WHOLE assembly with both mirror and window switches.

from mmeeory the clips are at front and rear of the liner
Cheers Alan I got the cubby liner out, thankfully or not the switches weren't the issue.

Made some very interesting discoveries this morning about the origin of my issues. So starting with the drivers mirror we checked the voltages for the switches on both sides to discover there was a short between the door block and the connector to the mirror. I thought they might have just been snagged but for some reason it looks like two of the cables were cut. I'm going to order some heat shrink solder as it's far too tight an area to attempt anything else.

Much more curious on the passenger window, as when we took the trim off we found a total lack of window mechanism...
Just nothing there. No idea why. I have a spare working window mechanism but it seems they are sided and I have a driver side.

Those are the two actual issues, but I'll renew the trim clips and sort the peeling trim while the cards are out.
Does anyone have any of these or can print some? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3140762
Also any recommendations for adhesive to use on the trim where it sits below the window and peels off?
-Will

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:40 pm

best to check WHY it was cut, if you re-connevt I suspect the fuse will pop again, or worse . . . .

lack of motor would restrict movement!!! :cry:

not even a block of wood to keep it up in place?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Will, re passenger side window maybe the regulator packed up and instead of replacing it they removed everything. The regulators are known to be an issue, though you can get replacements.

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Sun May 03, 2020 11:27 am

Well I got the driver mirror reconnected and it seems to work just fine, so no clue why it was cut especially as that is more effort than unplugging it.
New (old) passenger window regulator acquired, quite tatty but does work.
Was just in the process of refitting it, only one day since I tested both, and the battery is dead at about 6V. It's done this before where it drained to a ridiculously low level, bear in mind this battery is only a few months old so I must think it is a goosed battery rather than the car?
Only been maybe two weeks since I started the car so it just doesn't seem right.
I will probably do what I did last time and jump start it with a portable battery then leave it on charge. My wall charger is just a cheap Aldi one so considering getting a nice maintainer charger but unsure whether that is solving the symptom rather than the problem.
-Will

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun May 03, 2020 1:15 pm

The do tend to drain a bit, I have my battery disconnected when laid up. Worth testing the battery though, fully charge it and leave disconnected for a few days and recheck the voltage.

With your cut wires, I was looking at wiring diagrams and Grey/White is used (at the dashboard) for the door open warning. I wonder if someone tried to disable this? strange things happen when people don't understand the wiring diagrams. (me included)

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Fri May 08, 2020 8:17 pm

arthuy wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:15 pm
The do tend to drain a bit, I have my battery disconnected when laid up. Worth testing the battery though, fully charge it and leave disconnected for a few days and recheck the voltage.

With your cut wires, I was looking at wiring diagrams and Grey/White is used (at the dashboard) for the door open warning. I wonder if someone tried to disable this? strange things happen when people don't understand the wiring diagrams. (me included)
Thanks Arthuy, good to know it's not just me. I got my new charger and charged it up, seems to be holding fine so I'll just be more cautious about disconnecting it in the future.

Yeah still not sure what's up with the cut wires, but one of the mirror switches is faulty, causes a short and blows the fuse. So while I still doubt that would make you cut the wires, it is now another thing that needs replacing. 🙄
Both windows work with one switch so at least it is confirmed they both function. And new window regulator works on passenger side though not quite as nice as the drivers, but get what you pay for.
-Will

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Thu May 21, 2020 1:00 pm

Well I finally put enough things back together that I decided to take it for an MOT!
Went with the same place Norm took his, hopefully for a bit of mechanical sympathy.
And sadly it failed, but ironically it was on one of the things I was told it needed when I bought the car, the handbrake.
I did try and adjust it previously but wasn't super happy, think I didn't quite get it right but might as well just buy a new cable and try it again.

Strangely when I started the car to take it there the speedo decided to stop working. For months of trips up and down my road never had any issue with it and the moment I decide to take it out it stops working. So I've had a look at a few of the guides and suppose I'll just have to get on with it.
-Will

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 pm

If it's the same as mine, there are 4 handbrake cables, 2 each side.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any