Oooops I did it again....

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Oooops I did it again....

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:55 am
My backup was to get a screen from Yorkshire Trade Windscreens who have an advert on eBay for a £150 screen. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173937579718

I spoke to them on the phone at the time and they were nice enough and said they had the screen. Maybe you could collect in your V70 and save a couple of quid? Unfortunately, they'd want £100 to deliver to MK!

Don't forget for full 480 bonus points that you can drive to the MOT in goggles, without the screen, should you want to get a pass under its belt sooner rather than later. Only absolute legends do this!‎

Its actually an independent that I'm speaking with, not one of the "big chains". £150 for the screen, £70 for fuel in the V70 and I've still got to get it fitted... £250 all in doesn't sound too bad! Semi contemplated a second hand, but again, the logistics of collecting it and then still having to get it fitted mean the £250 is still looking the most favourable.

And yes, currently contemplated Screen less MOT - Remove wiper and disable washer jets and it's a pass (with Advisory) :shock:

Obviously, Sale price with MOT is much more favourable (and is rising with every job! Want a cheap auto, jump in NOW!). Need to poke the rear arches and sills before sticking it in though.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Yes, my maths failed there! Your price is a good one
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:36 pm

So Britney got a service today;

Oil and filter, and most importantly a new copper squashy washer.

Hopefully no more drips now! Next was the airfilter

Followed by some spark plugs

and just for good measure, the fuel filter and screenwash (which I forgot to take a pictures of!)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:48 am

Oh and for anyone keeping track, we've just bust the £500 mark...

Purchase:£300
Transport: £100
Starter: £50
Service Parts:£73

Not included, Switches, Mirror Glass, Misc fluids (wd40, degreaser etc) and my labour! (currently 11 hours!)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:57 am

And the costs just keep coming.....

Yup, we've got ourselves a shiny new windscreen.

Something else I did was too add some fresh fuel, and in doing so, noticed that the spill drain was blocked (unsuprisingly!)

Not the best picture I'm afraid but...

There's a rubber seal that surround the filler, and has a small cup at the bottom to catch fuel. in the middle of this cup is a small drain that will dribble fuel down the neck and out onto the floor. Bunged up solid with 20+ years of grime, so a quick de-grease and poke was the order of the day.

Jobs left to do?

MOT prep:
Definately need to give the brakes a good clean up and lube, will change the fluid too (cos I'm fussy like that!)
Underside was a good scrub off of the surface rust, maybe a good de-greasing too. It's missing an under-tray and so has lots of grime.
Bloody good clean

Now, the last one may not seem like an MOT prep thing, but trust me, if the car is clean you'll get a much nicer test. Present a filthy shed, and the tester will be a whole lot more rigorous, as it looks like you don't care about your car. I know it shouldn't happen like that, but experience has taught me it does.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:57 pm

Few more bits on Britney today:

1) Boot struts - There's a surprising amount of weight in that glass tailgate, and getting smacked on the back of the head when you least expect it is not fun. No pics as it's straight forward and simple to do!

2) Front lights:

These are clearly passed their best

As is the DRL bulb seal that held that blackened hell burning DRL bulb

Shall hunt for replacement O-rings.... seems a common thing.

For now, I swapped the O-rings off the indicator bulbs and fitted some LED DRL's.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but they're actually encased in a clear plastic and give an ok'ish light.

Sadly a tad yellow with no power...

and as I can't stand the "fried egg" look

Have ordered these

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Coming along very nicely...fantastic looking DRL lenses :D

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:06 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:35 pm

I mean seriously people, when was the last time you bought a 480 with heater buttons like this?

The previous owner probably had removed them and stored them in a cryogenic storage 1000ft deep in a hidden room in a mountain to preserve them!
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Little update:

According to wikipedia, Scope creep (also called requirement creep, or kitchen sink syndrome) in project management refers to changes, continuous or uncontrolled growth in a project’s scope, at any point after the project begins.

So when we last left you, all that was left, was a quick bit of MOT prep.

Well, a couple things came up in my Prep. One of which was the front seat wouldn't flip forward. Whilst technically not a MOT failure, testers can get the hump if things like this don't work. Its a fairly straightforward fix, as it felt like it'd just come off its pivot.

So first job, seat out:

Right this is going to be one of those jobs....

Thankfully, the other three came out without a struggle

A quick strip down and yes, popped off the pivot.

So, before we can pop up it in, we need to drill out that snapped bolt

drilled, drilled a bit fatter, then got the tap and die out and we were good - Well, I still need to find a replacement bolt if anyone's got one kicking about.

So, next pre-mot, brake pipes looked a bit crusty. Now, my usual test for brakes is to give them some large application of right foot. Being an automatic, there's room for two feet!

The third application of double footing saw the pedal not stop..... yup, that sinking feeling....

So, next episode will see us changing out a brake pipe!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Not back until the weekend but I have spare seat bolts you can have a couple of...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:27 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:49 pm
Not back until the weekend but I have spare seat bolts you can have a couple of...

David
Awesome - Just one needed, no rush! shall PM you an address

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:06 pm

My Most tester told me a while ago that it is a fail point in a 2 door can if the front seats don't flip forward as it means passengers might find it difficult to get out if there's a crash etc.
I'm not sure if it applies to one seat though.
He also said that it's a fail if you can't open the fuel door, can't remember why but seems a bit random 😂
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:51 am

So, I've a new "worse job on a 480" that replaces a turbo starter motor.

Front to rear brake pipe.

I *think* the flipping bangers guys covered it on Oli's TT, but OMG it's horredous.

The worse part of the pipe was across the rear panhard rod bracket, and where volvo went up and over it (WHY!)

First part of the plan was to remove that so we could gain some more access.

Fairly straightfroward task - 4 bolts from underneath, 2 from above, remove the brake pipes from the flexis. Much cursing as brake unions seized into flexi's, flexible hoses exploding whilst heating said unions... Hindsight says I should have to used mr grinder from the outset!

Crossmember bit off, was looking too fresh.. So attacked with mr grinder.

Lets not forget that that's AFTER Mr grinder too... and he can't get into the box sections either. If only there was a way to get that rust out....

"'old on lads, I've 'ad an idea!"

Yup! It's the science shizzle on a slightly grander scale! :rofl:

So whilst that's fizzing away, I turned back to the brake pipes. I can potentially get away with a single one (the NSR one). It's the one that has actually failed and by the time it's halfway back up the car, the pipework is excellent. So, there's a potential joining spot.

The the fun begins. If you don't know, the pipes route under the car, tuck behind the fuel filter, the follow the OSR chassis leg. The NSR pipe is the highest pipe, then the OSR and beneath that, the fuel line. It became very, VERY quickly apparent that Volvo fit the pipes quite early on in the build, then plonk the fuel tank in.

So fuel tank out time? Well, not if I can bloody help it! :shock:

Removing the old pipe is simple enough - Some snips, some vice grips and a big hammer makes short work of it. Rerouting the new one? Well, time to dig out Jeff's big book of swear words. Brake pipe clips are supposed to be pushed through horizontally; you push the pipe into them from above. Except you can't because the fuel tank is in the way. So instead you begin the 3d puzzle of trying to get a pipe that needs to be straight, through a clip that you can't see, whilst avoid crap falling in your face.

It took about 2 hours just to get the pipe thread along the chassis leg - That's 3 clips worth. :(

We're still not even close to completion on it either. Need to wait for the science stuff to happen, then paint the crossmember and re-fit. Once it's in place, pull the pipe along the new crossmember, then add new pipe clips onto it as I'm changing the routing to be a bit more sensible.

Deep down, I know I should just remove the fuel tank and replace the other line at the same time. Maybe I'll sit myself down this week and have a little talk with myself...

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:23 pm

no photos visible, some are

yep the cross member is an awkward thing to remove, i re-attached mine with allen headed set screws as tight to get a socket on the two bolts that hold the brake pipe clips.

EVA has a bespoke rear cross section as original was so rotten on removal :-( then to rub salt into wound three months after making & fitting it I was at Glasgow Jim's grand clearance and he had spares, should have taken one!

and I know what you mean about brake pipes in first , petrol tank added later :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Knows where Volvo is from

Post by 100 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 am

jifflemon wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:57 am

There's a rubber seal that surround the filler, and has a small cup at the bottom to catch fuel. in the middle of this cup is a small drain that will dribble fuel down the neck and out onto the floor. Bunged up solid with 20+ years of grime, so a quick de-grease and poke was the order of the day.
I had no idea that there is a drain in this 'cup' - mine is definitely blocked!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Have spent the last two weeks giving myself a stern talking to....

Obviously, Jeff, we preach "do it once, do it right". Stop faffing about and taking the bloody petrol tank out so you can do both brake pipes properly!

So this morning, I started on Britney.... And removed the rear bumper and bumper bar! :shock:

Certainly not the worse I've seen....

My rationale behind this, is that... err, I work in mysterious ways! :rofl:

And to be fair, it'd need looking at sooner or later, so sooner has just happened!

But its going to go in the bin!

No, not the scrap bin - the mad scientist bin! Somewhere in here is the rear crossmember!

So let's add the bumper bar too!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:41 pm

OK all well and good so far, that bumper beam isn't too bad, but did you REALLY need to remove it for access to tank straps? on EVA the bolts were pretty bad but managed to turn them a quarter at a time and use a jiggered wire brush on the flexy drive to clean the threads, plus lots of oil/solvent stuff, slow job but only to replace a strap, I left tank in situ.

I assume you have used the garden hose to fill the wheelie bin, nice an easy,

just how do you propose getting rid of the gunge into the drain??? :wink:

whatever you do DO NOT spill it on any concrete, or if you do make sure you give it an EVEN coating as it turns it a nice shade of orange .. . . (yep been there)
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:41 pm
did you REALLY need to remove it for access to tank straps? on EVA the bolts were pretty bad but managed to turn them a quarter at a time and use a jiggered wire brush on the flexy drive to clean the threads, plus lots of oil/solvent stuff, slow job but only to replace a strap, I left tank in situ.
Absolutely not! the bumper removal was simply a distraction from starting the tank removal! :rofl:
Alan 480 wrote:

whatever you do DO NOT spill it on any concrete, or if you do make sure you give it an EVEN coating as it turns it a nice shade of orange .. . . (yep been there)
Errrrr, not even thought of that yet! Probably just keep de-rusting stuff until the whole thing is actually a solid lump of ferrous?

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:05 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
did you REALLY need to remove it for access to tank straps? on EVA the bolts were pretty bad but managed to turn them a quarter at a time and use a jiggered wire brush on the flexy drive to clean the threads, plus lots of oil/solvent stuff, slow job but only to replace a strap, I left tank in situ.
Absolutely not! the bumper removal was simply a distraction from starting the tank removal! :rofl:
Alan 480 wrote:

Errrrr, not even thought of that yet! Probably just keep de-rusting stuff until the whole thing is actually a solid lump of ferrous?
OK obvious distraction theory in play here, what are you worried about? I just left the tank in place cos I was bricking it in case I broke the filler neck fitting or spilt 3 gallons of 4* into the pit onto an incandesant lamp fitting!!!!!
had a bad trip with a petrol pipe that ran along BOTTOM chassis leg of SS1 that split ONLY after I'd brimmed the tank :-( even after I thought all petrol was drained there was another half pint or so within!!! and that was working on the flat near the door with side & up& over open, inspection lamp not even plugged in!!!

seriously your chemistry set will slowly get worse as the amount of ferrous crap builds up and will eventually cause a short circuit :(
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 am

Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 pm
OK obvious distraction theory in play here, what are you worried about?
You mean apart from Seized fasteners, unobtainum parts and an unknown amount of fuel in a tank, waiting to drop on me at any moment? :lol:

I will do it, it's just that as I have a limited amount of time when I go and play, I like to try and make it productive. I'll probably pull the upper rear arms off next, because there was a horrifying post on FB about the upper bushes seizing, so I want to reassure myself that I've tackled/prevented that problem. The whole rear suspension is basically getting a overhaul.
Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 pm
seriously your chemistry set will slowly get worse as the amount of ferrous crap builds up and will eventually cause a short circuit
Yeah, there is a nearby drain, so I'll probably syphon the worst of it out, then scrape out the solid bits.