1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns: One year on

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns: One year on

Post by MisterH » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi all, today is the first anniversary of the purchasing of my 480 for the grand sum of £650. Since then, its value has probably risen to c.£1000 due to the fact it is essentially mechanically sound. It has been the first car I have driven on the public highway, and I am very pleased with the choice I made.

I encountered my first (and currently only) 480 in the wild when on holiday to Montenegro in the summer of 2016. We were driving through Bosnia in our rented Polo from Croatia, when my father called out me about a strange blue car coming up on our six'. Myself, usually the obscure car nut, was lost for what It was. A Citroen BX perhaps? they never had pop up headlights; An eastern European thing? not something this odd looking; perhaps an AMC thing? not this far out in the Balkans. I was spared the anguish of not knowing as it promptly overtook us and we were all shocked to find it was a Volvo! at the time, although I was a few years off, I was always on the look out for a good candidate for a classic first car. My parameters were that it had to be interesting, good for everyday use, have decent performance (read that of a standard car, not one typically used by learner/first drivers), and not look out of place or be out of its comfort zone doing epic long distance trips to the South of France and the road trips I intended to do, and most importantly unmodern. The 480 seemed to tick all of the boxes.

(For those interested, the car I saw in Bosnia was a blue one, with body coloured bumpers [can't remember if it was Paris or Arctic blue] and pretty sure it had Taurus wheels, but definitely 5 spokes, I didn't see the badge, but it could have been a turbo).

So with something to aim for, I started trawling the classifieds - for 2 1/2 years. I saw many nice cars come and go, from the TT that was taken on Flippin' Bangers, to James' lovely Paris blue example. I was held back for a while due to needing to shift my current project car at the time, a 1987 Ginetta G26. In addition to this, my ideal 480 changed a few times: first it was a mid-late model with Taurus wheels and coloured bumpers, perhaps a TT or turbo. Then after viewing some of the lovely press pictures, I preferred a car with the black rubbing strips for a while. But then, after repeated viewings of Brinkie's 1986 Volvo 480 introduction video on youtube, and James' words on the B18E, I settled on a really early car, in 184 Silver Grey Met. as my ideal 480. Trust me to want the rarest spec and colour there is...

With the Ginetta sold and £1500 to find this car, I got myself into a near religious routine of checking C&C, eBay and here several times every day to check for anything on the radar. One day in September 2018, a Blue '88 car came up at auction covered in dust as a last minute entry at Charterhouse, but as it was the day before the auction and covered in dust, it was passed over quite quickly. Then in October it came up again on eBay, and all cleaned up it looked quite good, so we arranged a viewing. The day came and just as we were about to leave the house I received a message saying the Volvo had sold. Foiled again! I was most displeased, and the search went on. But in the New Year, this car came up for a third time with a new vendor and I thought 'Alright, what is this all about then?' and we arranged a viewing for January the 12th, 2019. The car was a non-runner (well a MAP sensor so you know what I mean) but was in otherwise straight condition, blue piped seats a definite plus. It had been off the road since 2006 and he had got it in a deal to get a better price on a Mercedes 190 that the previous seller was also selling. I knew that the car needed work (a few weekends I told myself...) but also that it was perhaps my only opportunity i'd get for a while, so I made the call to go for it. 650 quid and the deal was done, the vendor threw in a free MAP as part of the deal.

The car arrived about a week later and the MAP a few days after that. We installed it in the dark and turned the key - started first time. On that first test drive we found the speedo was not working, but otherwise it was alright apart from a few lights not working and the popups temperamental. The lights were fixed quite quickly, but the Speedo not so much.

The car had its first MOT in February, and our mechanic's verdict was that despite the bodywork, it was a very clean example

2019 with the Volvo was defined by various efforts to mend the speedo. We cut the plug out and soldered the connection directly, I took the dash apart and removed the instrument cluster, that was then taken apart and re-soldered, all to no avail. Then on the 30th of December 2019, my father tried something that he had read Brinkie go on about in another post: apparently when we had removed the plug in the engine bay and soldered the wires, the insulation surrounding it had been earthed to the bodywork. One cut, and the speedo and odo burst into life, after nearly a year of trying.

I had already been driving the 480 on L-plates for a few weeks before, with my father's intuition acting as a speedometer.

Recently, we took the car on a moonlit trip to Newbury to meet with dcwalker to get a new radio/cassette. It fitted perfectly, and while the radio is a bit hit and miss, the cassette works fine. Under a street light in a Newbury close, David pointed out that I had had new arches at some point, and generally I think his verdict was that it was straight.

So one year on, she still needs the bodywork done, some new tires, and I think the fuel injection is a bit off, as sometimes the engine won't start due to being flooded with fuel. New interior bulbs are also needed, behind the heater controls, as well as adjusting the angle of one of the pop-ups, how would I do this? the white knob to raise or lower them doesn't seem to do anything when they are working.

And of course, with the odo working, I no longer have to feel a bit bad driving her, and a lot more of that will be done...

Viewing

First MOT

New Numberplates from the dealer who's sticker is in the rear window:

Confirmation of the B18E engine:

Drive-it-day 2019:

New headrests courtesy of James and Jaster, whose kindness gives me some more faith in people:

The Day I Always Promised Myself:

and the battle is won:

Many thanks to everyone whose help and goodwill has made this place perhaps one of the nicest places on the internet, along with Petrolblog. David said there was talk of a meet happening down this way, if so It would be great to put some names to faces. Also, does anyone know where I can get my hands on a digital clock for the 480 that isn't 320 euros on eBay?

Thanks everyone, here's to many years to come!
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: 1988 Volvo 480 ES - A New Era Dawns: One year on

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 am

An excellent summary! :D

Trust me when I say that with use you'll find more things to add to the job list!

Tyres: There's The tyre thread for you to have a looksie through. I'd just add that rainsport 3's have been discontinued, and the replacement rainsport 5's are due to start production until march.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:11 pm

This is great news and I'm very pleased for you. Let's hope you can come along to one of the meets this year. I am itching to get to one in my own car. 

For your pop-up headlights, I suggest replacing or recharging the pop-up gas struts and replacing the adjuster bushing cups and a bit of preliminary work before doing any adjustment at an MOT garage. SGS Engineering can recharge yours if you send them in, or send back new replacements if yours won't hold pressure. 

The adjustment isn't done on the white knob-- that is just there to manually put the lights up/down should a motor fail. The adjustment is done on the frame of the light itself. If the car was new, you would just put a screwdriver through the holes and adjust the screws but it's old and crusty now so you'll need to do a bit of prep work.‎

On your car, I would suggest the following:
1. Remove the headlight pod covers‎ (item 46 or 34, 30 and maybe 32 if your car has it, age dependant)
2. Replace the ‎gas struts (item 36) https://www.sgs-engineering.com/ (maybe send your boot struts at the same time!)
3. The white adjustment cups (item 9) are likely to be either broken or will break when you start playing with then. If they are broken/gone then the light can't be fixed in position. Replace with new‎ item (3 per light) from BMW supplier here: https://www.schmiedmann.co.uk/en/produc ... 121369833‎.
4. ‎Oil the adjustment screws (item 26) and wind them in and out to help the guys adjusting the headlights later.
5.‎ Replace H4 headlight bulbs with decent ones. Be careful not to loose the screws or their retaining washers (items 4 & 5) when you take the lamp cover off.  I recommend Philips Racing Vision or Osram Nightbreakers from Autobulbsdirect.co.uk. Only legal powered bulbs are required (55W), don't be tempted by any off-road 100W madness.
6. Take car to MOT garage‎ and ask them to adjust the headlights on their machine, which you will have exquisitely prepared for them and they will be most grateful for. With the pod covers off, gas struts at full pressure, screw threads oiled, adjustment cups replaced and nice new good quality bulbs you should have great vision from a 480 and easy to adjust lamps.
7. Install pod covers after adjustment‎ has been done. 
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Also here are some pictures, with description in German,‎ that show how the bulb is changed and how the lamp comes out. Hopefully you have an owner's manual which will help. This is from an '86 manual.. the procedure changed slightly in later cars. I think your car might agree with this early manual. If it doesn't, the differences are minimal and you should be able to work it out. 

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:24 pm

For the radio having poor reception, I would suggest that you look at the two connectors inside the car for the aerial cable. If they are rusty, the best thing is to just replace them and solder new ones in. I think on my last car I actually ran a whole new cable through the car to the radio but actually ‎this was probably unnecessary. 

There is one connector right next to the aerial in the boot (remove the L/H boot trim for access). 

There is one behind the glove box (remove the glovebox for access).‎

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm

With regards to the B18 seeming to flood itself, yes they do do that some times. I presume you are starting without pressing the throttle at all? The car should provide the correct amount of air to itself by opening the idle air control valve on startup.

Things to check on the B18E for good running firstly are that:
1. The intake air sensor has a black body, not blue. This is on the pipe from the air filter. ‎
2. The engine temperature sensor that feeds the ECU‎ had a black body, not blue. This is next to spark plug no. 1, and quite hard to see.
3. Checking for the presence of the CO (carbon monoxide) potentiometer which should be a black thing with two wires on that clips to the air filter box‎

In the long term, I would also suggest that you remove the intake manifold, clean the throttle body up with carb cleaner and send the injectors away for overhaul and cleaning. I like injectortune.co.uk. Install the manifold with a new gasket. You'll probably have to make your own for the throttle body from gasket paper. This got mine running nicely at idle although it does still sometimes go a bit wrong and I don't know why!
Last edited by jamescarruthers on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:59 pm

Excellent write-up, Ben, and a pleasure meeting you the other evening at my cousin's. You reminded me of my younger self when I first had a 480 with your obvious enthusiasm and love for your car - just the sort of owner the remaining 480 stocks need!

James may well have a good point regarding the radio aerial, but since it appeared to be tuning I think the fault lies in the LCD display on the unit itself. That may well be something your friendly car audio man can help with...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:53 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm
With regards to the B18 seeming to flood itself, yes they do do that some times. I presume you are starting without pressing the throttle at all? The car should provide the correct amount of air to itself by opening the idle air control valve on startup.

Things to check on the B18E for good running firstly are that:
1. The intake air sensor has a black body, not blue. This is on the pipe from the air filter. ‎
2. The engine temperature sensor that feeds the ECU‎ had a black body, not blue. This is next to spark plug no. 1, and quite hard to see.
3. Checking for the presence of the CO (carbon monoxide) potentiometer which should be a black thing with two wires on that clips to the air filter box‎

In the long term, I would also suggest that you remove the intake manifold, clean the throttle body up with carb cleaner and send the injectors away for overhaul and cleaning. I like injectortune.co.uk. Install the manifold with a new gasket. You'll probably have to make your own for the throttle body from gasket paper. This got mine running nicely at idle although it does still sometimes go a bit wrong and I don't know why!
What is so wrong with Blue? a different part or ageing? when I start the car I tend to not pump the accelerator. The method we use to fix it at the moment is taking one of the sparkplugs out, making it a 3 cylinder engine, and then starting it, which it always seems to do. then we refit the other plug, and it usually starts after that. Not ideal but its alright.

also a quick update on the brake lights: last night we adjusted them again (as the switch is basically loose, so we fixed it with blue-tac) but after starting the car to come home from my grandmother's, the brake lights were gone completely, no matter how hard the brake was pressed. After they were adjusted the first time, they were great, highly responsive...until my father looked out of the window at night and saw that they were on constantly when the car was off. So now we've adjusted them again and instead of constant brake lights we now have none...
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

A different part: The difference between black bodied and blue bodied sensors is that one is PTC (positive temperature coefficient) and one is NTC (negative temperature coefficient). I can't remember which is which right now but basically they work in opposite ways. The earlier car's ECU expects the output of the back sensor and will not run right with the later blue. Actually, it will probably disregard the input entirely and just run with Base values. Unfortunately aftermarket parts suppliers don't understand this difference and lots of B18E end up with the sensors from later cars. 

It does sound like you have a leaky injector that is allowing line pressure through to flood the cylinder so the advice about taking them out and sending away for overhaul (not expensive compared to buying new ones) if probably done sooner then. ‎

Good luck with the brake lights, I think you should replace rather than repair. https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/brake-lig ... 1986-1988/ shows loads available for not much money. The 480 is full of surprisingly easy to find bits from French cars... mixed with infuriating unobtainium. Mister Auto finds quite a lot of good cross referenced parts. 

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:29 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

It does sound like you have a leaky injector that is allowing line pressure through to flood the cylinder so the advice about taking them out and sending away for overhaul (not expensive compared to buying new ones) if probably done sooner then. ‎
The car's MOT is in February so I think we'll get a full service done. That brake light switch - how would it be installed, as it is currently nigh-impossible to get at!
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Injectors out won’t be included on a full service but a garage will happily do it for you I’m sure. It’s more of an on condition sort of thing. They’ll probably prefer that they do the access work and you arrange the overhaul With a company like Injector Tune.

I’m afraid I have no idea how to change the brake switch as I’ve never had that pleasure. I was upside down in the footwell of Jeff’s turbo lubricating the clutch bushings and wouldn’t wish to repeat that unless I really had to! It can’t be that hard. I don’t have access to any books right now but hopefully someone could have a look in a Haynes manual for you

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:06 pm

IIRC, the brake light switch screws into the bracket - essentially as you were doing to adjust it.

It's a case of drivers seat back as far as it will go, steering wheel up as high as it will go, then slither in on your back upside down. Resting your legs up the drivers seat can help!

Take a decent inspection lamp up under the dash, too.

Switch needs unplugging and unscrewing. When new one is in work the pedal while you're down there while someone checks the lights.

When done get that same someone to drag you out by the legs!!

Good luck!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:54 pm

I am not sure If the seat is already all the way back, although I know the seat tilt definitely works
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:46 pm

regarding these bits,

Replace with new‎ item (3 per light) from BMW supplier here: https://www.schmiedmann.co.uk/en/produc ... 121369833‎.

any idea what 'pukka' BMW garage charge if Volvo don't stock them any more??
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm

No idea, sorry. I know the prices are always hilarious when I’ve bought anything for my wife’s Mini. If you’re lucky, they could be equivalent to 0.94EUR but saving you the P&P, which I presume is your thinking Alan?

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:46 pm
regarding these bits,

Replace with new‎ item (3 per light) from BMW supplier here: https://www.schmiedmann.co.uk/en/produc ... 121369833‎.

I remember phoning BMW and falling off my chair, if that helps?

I think it was shipping that killed it for the link James provided. IIRC, shipping to NL was next to nothing, so Brinkie got them and included them with my Dashboard.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 pm

But you've got to get them somewhere if you want your headlights aimed correctly to pass an MOT haven't you. 480 owners are a very captive market!

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:46 pm
regarding these bits,

I remember phoning BMW and falling off my chair, if that helps?

I think it was shipping that killed it for the link James provided. IIRC, shipping to NL was next to nothing, so Brinkie got them and included them with my Dashboard.
I assumed a UK company as dot co dot uk . .. . . (didn't scroll to bottom of the web page) :?

I know about 'captive market' I broke one when adjusting mine and had to some 'improvising' as test was following day . .. . .

MoT garage managed to undo the manual rasie/lower knob on the headlights of SS1, no idea how as they are LH thread and have a slipping clutch to save fingers when motor takes over , to be fair he was VERY apologetic when he said 'head lights alignment a wee bit out and this bit 'came off in my hands' :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:21 pm

Here's the little bugger that was causing the brake light to fail

I have now ordered the new part with the link James sent me, just hope it will put paid to the issue (it probably will)
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks