GEAR CHANGE LINKAGES

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dxi310
480 Newbie

GEAR CHANGE LINKAGES

Post by dxi310 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:02 pm

I have recently been having major problems with gear selection in my 1995 celebration

symptoms :

When trying to engage a gear with engine running and from a standstill and after being parked all gears grind and will not engage at all with the gear stick that feels jammed

With engine off the gear stick will move around the gate and engage the appropriate gear, however if you then attempt to start the engine in gear with the clutch depressed the clutch then appears to be engaged and the car will lurch forward

Then, say after a days standing one can operate the gears as normal and the car drives as all ways so the clutch is in OK condition, however park up and return say after a short time and you are back to symptom 1 above

Sometimes if you move the gear stick around the gate with some wiggling the problem will just go away and the car is again drive able

I think its got to do with the gear linkages but i have been unable to source replacement bushes etc. from anywhere so any advice on alternative repairs / parts etc.would be appreciated

Dennis

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Re: GEAR CHANGE LINKAGES

Post by Martin Mc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Hello Dennis,

It sounds like the friction plates are not disengaging properly - possibly due to wear, or issues around the hydraulic fluid in the clutch.I I'd have a look at the reservoir and check the colour / condition of the clutch fluid as a first step, and perhaps consider draining and refilling this as a first step. The fluid is hygroscopic (i.e. it absorbs water over time) which can lead it to deteriorate.

Next thing would be to top up your gearbox oil (a bit fiddly) or, ideally, drain, flush and refill this - I think there is a 'How To' guide in one of the threads below.

If it is any consolation, I'm having exactly the same issues with my new acquisition, and will be taking my own advice above once the car is back from the garage with her shiny new brakes and MOT :)

Let us know how you get on!

All the best!

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi Dennis

Sorry to contradict Martin, but all 480 clutches are cable operated, not hydraulic.

Cable adjustment is quite easy, and assuming you have a Haynes manual it tells you in there how to do it.

There are work-arounds with the various plastic bits in the gearchange linkage I think - try searching on here - and there are similar kits for Renault gearboxes (including that fitted to the original S/V40 1.6 models) available.

Definitely worth checking the oil - just be aware that if what you find causes you to decide to do an oil change you must use EXACTLY the specified oil. If it is still available from Volvo then I would strongly recommend going there. It used to be sold in a bottle that held the correct amount...

Good luck

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm

We've had problems with the plastic bits in the selection linkage in both our 2 litres as well, our garageman did some research and found correct ones from Renault. If we were in the UK I could give you part nos., but we are sunning ourselves in Spain until the end of Feb. Hopefully you will have it sorted by then.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm
Hi Dennis

Sorry to contradict Martin, but all 480 clutches are cable operated, not hydraulic.

Cable adjustment is quite easy, and assuming you have a Haynes manual it tells you in there how to do it.

There are work-arounds with the various plastic bits in the gearchange linkage I think - try searching on here - and there are similar kits for Renault gearboxes (including that fitted to the original S/V40 1.6 models) available.

Definitely worth checking the oil - just be aware that if what you find causes you to decide to do an oil change you must use EXACTLY the specified oil. If it is still available from Volvo then I would strongly recommend going there. It used to be sold in a bottle that held the correct amount...

Good luck

David
Aaahh!! That will be why I've had so much trouble over the years then!! :rofl:

Back to my books I guess :) Sorry for any confusion Dennis - David is definitely someone to listen to for all things 480, and I am happy to be ill-informed in this case!! I'm just a bit excited about being back on the 480 scene after a too long absence.

All the best!

Martin
Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:43 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm

As David says cable is easy to adjust , pair of 10mm spanners at gear-box end, it sounds similar to our's which is 'dour' into first/second,

I started with the clutch adjustment (easy)
Checked oil level, not so easy if plug butchered , so make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain/replace oil
swapped out clutch plate possible with engine AND gear-box both in place, no loss of oil etc

and after all of above I reckon that synchro on first/second are 'iffy :-(

I'm hoping that the spare gear-box /engine I purchased 'unseen' and 'in storage' are OK .. . . .
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:48 pm

There some gear linkage parts available at www.volvo340onderdellen.nl but I'm not sure if they are everything that you need to overhaul the lot. ‎

A member on here did find that everything was still available for Clio/Meganne cars from Renault but did not elaborate with part numbers. It would be great if they could. ‎

I've ordered one bush from the ‎NL site above as I was getting something else. If we can work out what to get from renault it will be a lot cheaper I'm sure. 

In the Volvo Green Book I have, it tells you how to adjust the rod. I don't have access right now but will endeavour to photograph it for you at some point. Do send me a reminder PM if I forget and you need it. ‎

All I remember is that early cars need a special tool (a plate, made to a certain size, with a notch I believe) and that later cars have a better design that just needs some measuring. ‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dxi310
480 Newbie

Post by dxi310 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:30 pm

At last i am able to update you all and many thanks for all your replies

I managed to purchase a set of linkage bushes via EBAY foe £10.99 and these were for the Volvo S40 and V40 models which it seems used the same set up as the 480.

These were fitted and indeed greatly improved the gear change feel, ( great cheap fix) however after again parking and trying to get going the next day once again the gears would not engage with engine running

Back to the garage who in the end felt it must be a clutch problem ( something inside broken) despite the clutch working OK now and again

So a new clutch set has now been fitted and all is OK

On inspection of the clutch plate one could clearly see a broken section of the plate and it seems this 30 mm long metal part of the plate was floating around and occasionally getting jammed between the plate and the flywheel preventing disengagement and then i assume dislodging and allowing the plate to again operate as intended and then again becoming jammed and so on

Car has now done 83000 miles so not bad for my first major repair

Regards

Dennis

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Always a great feeling when you find a fault, even if not an easy fix, there are worse clutches to change though!!!
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1