So, today was the day...

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:24 pm

So with the wiring all completed, we now had an amazing charge rate yes?

Well, yes and No.... :shock:

we had an amazing charge rate for 2 days.... then suddenly it stopped.

Yup.... Alternator failure.... :angry:

Whats more frustrating than alternator failure? Finding a replacement. You see, I spent my youth reconditioning starters and alternators. I know there's essentially 2 variants of 480 alternators - a 50 amp version for pretty much everything, and a 70amp version for the turbos.

Now, you can also argue that there's also A/C and non A/C variants, but that's just pulley size. (3 rib pulley vs 6 rib pulley) and with most alternators you'd swap the pulleys over.

HOWEVER......

we live in an age where they need your registration and VIN number to sell you a bloody air freshener for your car. :angry:

So i just needed to check that the unit I was being supplied would be a valeo, 70amp, external fan unit so off we go asking questions...

"whats the reg and VIN number mate?"

"no, I just need you to confirm it's a valeo, 70amp external fan variant"

"It brand new sir"

"no, it's reconditioned/rebuilt unit - No ones made a brand new alternator for a 480 for 15 years"

"no sir, it's brand new"

"so who's the manufacturer?"

"RNL sir"

"RNL are a dutch company who re-manufacture alternators, who's core unit are they re-manufacturing?"

"I don't know where you're getting your information from sir, they're brand new"

"from RNL's website - Look, just open the bloody box and take a picture of it and send it me"

They stopped responding after that.....

Many, many, more conversations like that and I just plumped for the cheapest one on the Bay.

I got a valeo, external fan, 70amp unit.... :nuts:

Now, ALL 400 alternators are the same damn shape, and as long as you've not got AC, you can pick and choose as you fancy. Want an up-rated one?
Later 440/460 units have an internal fan and pop out 75amp.

Anyway..... On with the fun....

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:55 pm

Now, there are many things you can be thankfull of when owning a 480.

One that you should definately be thankful of, is not owning a 480 turbo, with AC

lets just say that under the engine bay is a tad cramped.....

They put the AC compressor where the power steering pump was. they kept the alternator in the same place, just plonking the Power steering pump over the top of it..... To save you scrolling back through the thread, it looks like this:

Then, and it's the bloody french influence here I bet, they decide to use random sized fasteners on the really hard to get bolts... Alternator pivot bolt? Nice chunky 17mm you can get your ratchet on. front nut that's a mission to get a spanner on? Surely a 17mm?

Nope, 5 minutes of contorted ratcheting has got you no-where and you realise they've used a 16mm nut. :angry:

I also discovered this: (sorry, you'll need to click the link, but its worth it!)

:shock:

hopefully that's the oil leak found (always thought it was the sump gasket!)

Anyhoo, power steering pump loosened. belt off, alternator bolts swore at, removed and you can't get the damn alternator out of the space because the power steering pipe is in the way. :wall:

Crack off the top pipe, do your best to stem the flow of power steering fluid whilst you wrestle the damn thing out.

Swap pulley's over start to reassemble and remember that you should have been taking pictures... :lol: So we got this far...

Clean this up....

wrap the thread with some PTFE tape and screw back in. 10mm Allen key if anyone has to do this and yes, it's an utter pain as you've minimal access and the sensor blocks your view of the allen head!

By that point, my back had given up leaning over the engine bay, so I called it a night! Tomorrow is just belts on, adjust and tightened everything back up.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 pm

"Nope, 5 minutes of contorted ratcheting has got you no-where and you realise they've used a 16mm nut. :angry: "

wot no pictures to help us find said nut :wink:

and BTW the post from 1924 is missing it's pictures ?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 pm
"Nope, 5 minutes of contorted ratcheting has got you no-where and you realise they've used a 16mm nut. :angry: "

wot no pictures to help us find said nut :wink:

and BTW the post from 1924 is missing it's pictures ?
Oh it gets worse - the power steering pump is a 15mm

So i that confined area, you've got a 15mm, 16mm and 17mm. It's like they were playing Metric nut bingo.

Pics should be fixed.

Car is too - well, just waiting on some Dexron 2 for the powersteering as it's a little low and I daren't blow the pump!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:57 am

Just a quick update on how things are going:

So, obviously,we made it to the October meet - Was a little touch and go, as I didn't actually have an MOT until 2 days before!

One of the new calipers I fitted last year (or was it the year before?), failed, but in the strangest way. MOT tester reported no effort, So when I got home, I reset everything (which, given I'd done a massive 500 hundred miles, meant it was all like new anyway!) and checked the handbrake - Locked up nicely. Back for a re-test and he asked why I'd not done the handbrake? Once again, no effort on one side. :angry:

Back home, reset everything, AGAIN, and had handbrake. Was starting to think the tester was extracting the urine, when I checked the handbrake another time. No effort.

It seemed that the caliper work effectively work once, then never again.

So, new caliper on, and all was groovy. Both cars made the meet!

We've also had a shipment from the Netherlands.... Can anyone take a guess?

So this weekend saw the start of the strip down of the new wheels!

Yes, I've got a set of the ultra, ultra, rare Vega rims! Complete with locking caps. :eek:

So, lets lay on some paint stripper eh?

Those images may shock anyone who's tried using paint stripper recently, as it appears that it's actually working! Nitromors, that great paint stripper from days gone by, is now on the great list of "Don't bother, its crap" lists. Without the nasty chemicals, you'll literally watch paint (stripper) dry!

Instead I'm using some stuff called Synstrip - which is a little harder to get but worth it. It also means PPE has to be worn, unless you're a fan of chemical burns and respiratory problems.....

But the results speak for themselves.

One down, 3 more to go...

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:47 pm

"Back home, reset everything, AGAIN, and had handbrake. Was starting to think the tester was extracting the urine, when I checked the handbrake another time. No effort.

It seemed that the caliper work effectively work once, then never again."

so what is / was problem?

ref the paint strippers yes they removed all the 'decent' solvent from it . . . . .

should have bought a tin or four before it was banned?? :hopping:
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:47 pm

ref the paint strippers yes they removed all the 'decent' solvent from it . . . . .

Caliper was swapped out - Was running out of time to investigate fully, but have still got the old one so may get to pull it apart.

And the paint stripper - well, Synstrip has all the nasty chemicals, so it works; Hence me telling you all the name so that if you need it, you can google and find yourself a supplier!

But I'll once more stress the Personal Protective Equipment requirement; It's bloody lethal stuff! :eek:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:48 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:00 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Caliper was swapped out - Was running out of time to investigate fully, but have still got the old one so may get to pull it apart.

And the paint stripper - well, Synstrip has all the nasty chemicals, so it works; Hence me telling you all the name so that if you need it, you can google and find yourself a supplier!

But I'll once more stress the Personal Protective Equipment requirement; It's bloody lethal stuff! :eek:
aye cos its 80% methylene chloride, just a beefed up version of the old Nitromors :wink:

with some extra thrown in for good measure :hopping:
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:43 pm

So after much stripping, I'm left with this:

There's some good ones

and some not so good ones

But all shall be fixed before paint.

And rest assured, the rears were cleaned too!

Now whats better than stripping one set of wheels? well, why not do two sets!

:shock: :nuts:

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Looking good :D
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Those Borbets look superb on the 480!‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:37 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:52 pm
Those Borbets look superb on the 480!‎
Thanks, am hoping they suit, but that’s why the Taurus are getting a refurb, need to have a backup plan!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:27 pm

Just a minor update or two....

New years day round these parts mean one thing - the Stony Stratford Classic Car show! Took the 480 along, purely because it was my only means of transport! (the V70 was waiting on a tyre to be shipped from Germany).

Came home to find this on the Facebook group:

Tiny bit embarrassed! Should have really tried to make it look a little bit presentable! :nuts:

Anyhoo, the next update is due to our man James.... Who'd mentioned in passing that the early cars have a different ashtray setup. Which we then stumbled upon in Lakes...

It also tied in with needing a cigarette lighter socker (which, if you remember, I swapped for a USB charger!)

Fairly simple swap - One hole needs drilling for the spire nut and additional wiring for the ashtray illumination:

If you can't tell from the pictures, instead of pulling the flap open, you press the top and it swooshes open gracefully.... :rofl:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pm

aye but only one of the three pictures is visible, (middle one)

I also discivered that some of the pictures I've posted are also now 'missing in action'
I know Google were changing things so maybe something to do with that ? ? ?
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:09 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pm

I also discivered that some of the pictures I've posted are also now 'missing in action'
nope, was my bad - now fixed!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:15 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:09 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pm

nope, was my bad - now fixed!
yes all visible :D

I still have 'issues' even having followed your 'how to ' :-(

nine edits trying to get teh 'lack of garage space' in Nora's thread to show
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:53 pm

So one of the many, many things that's annoyed me about the car, since I got it, was the squeeky bloody heater fan.

My VEM is also on the fritz, so figured I'd get one of the 2 jobs done.

So, remove glovebox to see what we're dealing with....

Ah yes.... The joys of Airconditioning... Look at that easily accessible heater fan.

And you know what's even better? It's held in place with 7mm bolts - Yes, it's the "use every size we can get" dept again...

Including one, hidden right behind this AC Flap control device. :angry: You can just make it out at the 9 o'clock position.

Eventually I wrestled the motor free, and discovered a Plastic trim clip wedged in the blades. Ha-ha! Simple fix! Wrestled it all back in, tightened up and tested...

NOPE!

So, repeat the above, take it inside, remove the 10mm retaining nut, remove the fan, squeeze the retaining clips together and separate the body...

Apply big dollop of grease to rear bearing, re-assemble, re-wrestle et voila! no more squeeky fan!

Am positively excited to do the VEM.... :cryhard:

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:41 pm

If you have the VEM out, break out the soldering iron, as it is just like the instrument clusters some broken solder joints (usually those around the relays)
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:09 pm

So a few updates on this one....

Got the VEM out, but not got around to resoldering yet...

Discovered a coolant leak too....

Oh joy! Ordered new waterpump and timing belt kit. Looks typically FWD.... No access, child sized hands needed and fasteners probably placed in accessible places! :rofl:

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Oooo also remembered I swapped out the rear hatch seal for the 440/460 one....

Slightly longer so you have to cut it down, but here's the difference in profiles: 480 on the top