26th October Mini Meet Lincolnshire Wolds

Discussions about meetings, both organised by us and by others, can take place here. If you want to organise a meeting yourself, this is the place to start! If you want to inform everyone of a meeting no one might know, feel free to post it here too.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: 26th October Mini Meet Lincolnshire Wolds

Post by dcwalker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Ha - I too have Sunday earmarked for cleaning... :lol:

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:11 am

Imagephoto upload website

Jeff and I are about to set off
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:19 am

1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:29 am

Morning all :)

Hope everyone has/had issueless drives home. Great day despite the driving rain!
Thank you so much to Sylvia, again, for organising. Thank you to those who can't resist a niggle to fix on figuring out my bulb issue in the dark!

Lovely to meet new (to me) faces too. :)

I guess we're all on a cleaning mission today.

I didn't get many pics but here are mine.
(hopefully this link works to take you to an album....)

https://ibb.co/album/fhqRtv

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Just got back in and Hats off to Sylvia and Al for organising yet another stonking event. :D

Really good to catch up with everyone, and had a fault free weekend - well, apart from squeaking fan and rattling trim; But as DC walker and Discussed during dinner, these are less "faults" and more character/quirks/traits :rofl:

And after the torrential rain on Saturday, we drive back in glorious sunshine.

We (James, Myself and Jaster) also swung in a Lakes - Surprisingly, there was no-one in - and so we had to contend ourselves with making shopping lists!

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks to Sylvia and Al, yet again. Was great to see you all and meet new faces, just a shame the weather was so poor. was great to take my 480 out for a good run, its surprisingly clean thanks to the good waxing it had earlier on! Was amazing to see so many 480 warriors - the great survivors - all together. We own the lucky ones, the ones who survived against all the odds.......treasure them and enjoy them ;)
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:16 pm

What a wonderful day we had - we welcomed some new faces, if only briefly in one case, and were pleased that the 'regulars' all joined us as well. Dc brought Nilani the Celebration for her first meet, and James was in one of Jiff's 'spare' turbos again. We very briefly had 11 cars at Northampton, but one new couple who had planned to do the whole day had a family emergency and had to just say hello and goodbye. We managed to lose Ashley for the two tone inspection as he'd come out without satnav and phone, but he knows the area so he rejoined at Empingham before heading off home before he got into unknown territory. I was delighted that Andrew and Lola were able to come all the way from Kent to Empingham, I think quite a few of us have bought parts from Andrew in the past, and he sold one of his 4 Celebrations to Nigel Poustie. Lola has now managed to get him down to one 480 by the last resort in a wife's toolbox - the threat of divorce if he didn't get the collection down to one ! She did however confide that she's sure he's got one hidden away somewhere but he managed to look very innocent. Also new to the meets was Marc, who did a great thread detailing his journey into green GT ownership so we still had 3 despite dc leaving his at home. Sharon came in convoy with Marc, bringing her red baby who has featured in 'spotted' more than once - Al was one of the 'spotters' when he went shooting at Thetford Ranges and saw her at a roundabout. No point waving or giving chase, he was in the 850 and didn't want her to worry about being stalked by a strange (very stange!) man.
So, we had 14 cars at Empingham :D , and 9 at Cadwell Park. Sadly closed, although the lights were on in one of the ticket boxes and a coat on a chair but there was no-one around and it was needless to say raining, so we lined up rather messily under the flags and captured the glorious sunset in some of the photos (well done, Edie !) Then it was on to the pub to dry out and get warm, with more lively conversation over dinner, after which Jiff and Jaster disappeared to the carpark to help edie with some of her to-do list. All in all, a great day despite the terrible weather - Al and I were relieved to get back to Norfolk, the driest county in England. The first thing I noticed was the droopy plants in the tubs on our garage forecourt so after greeting our rapturous feline Willow, Al was watering plants whilst I was soaking up water from Lily's rear offside footwell. DC very kindly loaned me his precious file of brochures for a spot of research which I had put in the same footwell (eek!) thankfully, all in plastic wallets and the water wasn't deep enough to get inside anyway so its all dried off now, no damage done :? phew ! It's the first time Lily has been out in heavy rain, so I was completely unaware she had a problem.
The repro lenses were sitting in our delivery box when we got back, such a shame they didn't get to me just one day earlier.

I'll get some photo editing done and gets pics online.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

480 Newbie

Post by 2675 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Many thanks to Sylvia and Al for arranging the event, we were very happy to take part and see so many 480's. It was also nice to see everyone there, what a friendly and helpful bunch you all are. Torrential rain all the way back to Kent but only took just over two hours.
Andrew

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 pm

My turn to say "thank you" to everyone for another great outing yesterday. Good to catch up with the regulars as always, and great meeting new people and putting faces to names (especially Andrew and Marc - I must admit I felt I already knew Marc and his GT pretty well anyway ;) ).

Thanks Sylvia and Al for arranging everything brilliantly yet again :D

Here are a couple of my photos from Cadwell, including a gratuitous shot of Nilan alongside Evie's Turbo - actually, special thanks should got to Evie for giving some of us so many things to scratch our heads over: at least your headlamp washers work again now!!

Looking forward to May already...

All the best

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Haha, I'm sure I'll compile another questions list by May! I got back to my car and realised I'd left the interior light on for an hour or so after we'd been searching for bits and bobs.... it didn't start quite as swiftly as it had been doing but no harm done, thank God! I've removed the other DRL bulb now and they can sit and wait until I swap all the lenses onto the new light units...then the original bulbs will fit through the holes again! One more trip to Volvo heritage day in early November, then to bed for winter.

I forgot to mention, Fox did actually enjoy the day even though it was a bit hard work at times in the rain, not as nice when you can't just mill about and chat outdoors is it. He only had one whiny moment when he asked if he could go back to the car. Apart from that, he enjoyed it. He has only known my love for the 480 so we must nurture this seed for the next generation. :lol:

He has clearly stated that he's only coming to future meetings if Jeff is there! No pressure then. :rofl:

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 pm

and here are some of mine:
We made the mistake of parking under a tree, but at least we were well away from anyone else. I even didn't really feel the need to park badly, just left my wheel out ready to go in the morning. (in case you are wondering, my theory goes as follows: first thing a bloke thinks when he sees a badly parked car - must be a woman driver. second thing he thinks - I'm not parking next to that !! Perfect, just what I wanted. Works a treat. :lol: Just don't get me started on women drivers who don't even know where reverse is)

sigh - there's always one isn't there

that's better !

Rutland Water

waiting for us at Empingham
Sylvia

hubby has

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:12 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 pm

sigh - there's always one isn't there
One glance at the photo and you think "yes, and it's usually the same one, isn't it?" ;) :rofl:

But what would a meet be like without Jeff?? I mean, we've missed him at a couple now, and it was great when he came running out at Rutland Water, waving his arms like a madman, to stop me parking up... :D

David

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by zapcity » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:11 am

"Al was watering plants whilst I was soaking up water from Lily's rear offside footwell. DC very kindly loaned me his precious file of brochures for a spot of research which I had put in the same footwell (eek!) thankfully, all in plastic wallets and the water wasn't deep enough to get inside anyway so its all dried off now, no damage done :? phew ! It's the first time Lily has been out in heavy rain, so I was completely unaware she had a problem."

SNAP!

Yesterday morning I started cleaning, and I too had a rear driver's side footwell full of water.

I've always had a minor leak from the rear hatch area (only noticeable when cleaning), but as with Sylvia's Lily, I've never been out in that much extended rain, so never noticed it before.

I'm guessing the rear footwell is the lowest point on the car, so if water is likely to collect anywhere, it will be here.

Anyway, it's sitting in the garage with a box of cat ltter inside to get rid of any moisture!

I guess leak tracing will require the removal of various parts of trim? Any advice most welcome.

Big thanks to Al and Sylvia, your orgainisation and enthusiasm really are incredible. :wave:

It was great to meet everyone and I look forward to more meetings next year.

Jobs over the winter now include: -
Water leak tracing/fixing,
Dash surround replacement,
Replace dead/dim dash bulbs (of which there only seemed to be about 2 working on Saturday night!),
Info. centre refurb.,
Refurb radio cassette,
Refurb front light clusters,
Install & connect oil pressure sender,
Remove rear bumper, repaint and see what state the support is in (and take remedial actions),
Repaint nose cone,
Demand Engineering stainless exhaust (finances permitting),

480 ownership really is all consuming of both time and money!!
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 am

Hi all, hope you all had a fun time despite the rain and the 'en-suites'. Very sad to have missed out this time but will try and make the May meet. The feedback on the two tone was informative, did anyone make a cheeky offer?.D C I must try and get over to you and view your recent purchase though I will be in the Rover 75 as my celeb is hibernating for the winter. Sylvia some pics of the rear lenses would be much appreciated as would your verdict on them. Cheers.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:50 am

Be good to see you again Norm😊

I won't hold the Rover 75 against you!!

David

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:55 am

Marc

Water in a rear foot well will almost certainly have come in via the boot and run forwards (unless you had your window well open in the rain?).

First off check the boot carpet because chances are it's saturated underneath...if it is, then I would also recommend taking that back seat out because the dip it sits in is probably wet and the sponge seat base may well have soaked up water as well.

Leak tracing otherwise is trial and error, but getting all the boot and side trim out is pretty easy!!

David

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:23 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:55 am
Marc

Water in a rear foot well will almost certainly have come in via the boot and run forwards (unless you had your window well open in the rain?).

First off check the boot carpet because chances are it's saturated underneath...if it is, then I would also recommend taking that back seat out because the dip it sits in is probably wet and the sponge seat base may well have soaked up water as well.

Leak tracing otherwise is trial and error, but getting all the boot and side trim out is pretty easy!!

David
Thanks David. Sounds like a job for a sunny weekend!
1994 480GT - arrived!!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm certainly hoping Lily's was from the window, I did leave it open in the rain a couple of times. Her boot is still totally dry - after all the rear end leaks I had with Snazzy years ago, all our 480's now have 460 rear hatch seals which work so much better. The only thing is that her rear lights have been glued in, hence the lack of polishing, but all seems dry under them. I'm still debating whether to risk breaking them out so that they can go on the polishing wheel if they survive. edit - sorry, it's the 440 seal, not sure if a 460 one is long enough
I will add photos and thoughts to the thread for the repro rear lenses.
Last edited by dragonflyjewels on Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia

hubby has

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks Sylvia for the hint on the rear hatch seal.

460 being broken near me, so will go and grab what I need.

Guessing its the seal in the picture?

Anything else worth grabbing if avaiable? Not sure on compatibility between models.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:27 pm

Sorry, my mistake, it's the 440 seal - it'll be too long and quite tricky to cut neatly, but it has an extra lip which is not present on ours. Well worth changing. Not sure if a 460 one will be long enough.
Sylvia

hubby has