Lily's transformation

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: Lily's transformation

Post by zapcity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Looking forward to the report on your new exhaust. Mine is booked in for a full system at Demand just before she goes into her winter hibernation.
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:43 am

I was lucky on the exhaust front; Lily came with a genuine full Volvo exhaust, fitted brand new in about 2010 - after that she entered her living in a barn days until I "rescued" her. Must have been one of the last available.

The exhaust and boxed still had their lovely clean Volvo part stickers on them and the exhaust gave off that rather odd "new" smell when I drove her at first. My concern about corrosion due to damp due to lack of use proved unfounded.

So hopefully not something that will be a problem any time soon!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Wow ! Zero drone, zero tinniness. In fact, from inside the car it doesn't sound any different, but outside there is now just a discreet rumble, so exactly what I asked for. And the performance really is a transformation so we are more convinced than ever that her dodgy backbox had bits of cat inside and was strangling the turbo. The guy who road tested her said she's faster than his own car - a 2 ltr turbo Audi. How disappointing for him ! They have the tailpipe perfectly positioned as well, previously it was lower and cocked over to the right by the aftermarket box.

So a big thank you to Viccy and the team, it was worth every penny.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Good to know they are a good company. I shall be going for stainless when I finally need an exhaust. Looks good!‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:38 am

Don’t suppose they made a jig? Would be nice to have an “off the shelf” system available!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 am

No jig, every exhaust and back box is built to fit the car it's going on and designed to produce the noise required by the owner. Mine had the angles on the up and over smoothed out a bit and also replaced the cat with pipe as she's old enough not to need it. The design is also dependant on the bhp - lots of science in the calculations so the richmod made a difference. I also had the option of having the tailpipe wherever I wanted it, but stuck with Volvo's design. On the ramp when we collected was a new f type having the whole exhaust replaced because the owner wanted twin tailpipes both sides. They'd had to put a new cutout in the bumper panel - money no object there, he changes his car every year and usually wants the exhaust changed as soon as he gets it.
Somewhere like Powerflow might be amenable to doing a jig for a more standard one, and they are several hundred pounds cheaper as well.
Sylvia

hubby has

cranna21
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by cranna21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:27 am

Looks great!

What Motor is my system destined for Sylvia? :)
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 212bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'08 XC90 D5 SE Premium

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Sorry Fraser, only just seen this. The stainless exhaust I bought from you is now on Snazzy so I'll pop a bit on her thread about it.
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Pleased to say Lily the turbo has just sailed through her MoT again. Given that our garage man takes cars straight to the test station without checking them first, she has a remarkably clean history with not even a single advisory since I've had her. Wish I could say the same about Snazzy, but then the grand old lady has done 235k miles and lived under a carport since 2001, compared to Lily's 70k and pampered life in a dry garage from day 1.
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:34 pm

This is rather a looong story, hope I don't bore anyone.

Lily was on the road in September, with no problems at all until the last week. I noticed it was taking several extra turns of the key to start her when were out shopping in Norwich. We parked in various places and luckily she started every time but when we got home and I parked outside to unload I turned her off and then she wouldn't re-start to go in the garage so Al had to push her. We chatted to Jeff and Andrew Vanham so Al got advice on what to check including the ignition switch. Junk's was swapped in and still just a cough from the starter motor so we booked her in to our pedantic garage man for October 23rd. We have an off-site garage just 100 yards away from him, so we arranged to bump start Lily and put her in the garage in place of Paris who was due on the road in October for the Scotland meet. He was happy to bump start her when he was ready to do the job. He likes this arrangement as he's always short of parking and sometimes needs to push work on our non-essential cars back a day or two so he can finish off jobs on other people's daily drivers. Our Saab was in the bodyshop, so Al had to use GT Sven to tow her. His rear towhook is missing so he had to reverse on his smart new towrope which turned out to be alarmingly short. I had visions of Lily kissing Sven, but it went well and she started at the first attempt. So Lily went to Attleborough and Paris came home.

We went off to Glasgow for 10 days to visit my son and then go on to the Scotland meet, taking Eva (Al's turbo) and Paris. We got home Monday night, had Tuesday to sort ourselves out then went off to London on Wednesday for 3 days. Home again late on Friday 20th and found to our relief we'd had no damage or flooding from storm Babet. Paris had to go to pedantic on Monday 23rd for her mot (passed with minimal advisories) and we had to drop Lily's keys off, having put her in the garage on a Sunday when he was closed. Imagine my horror to be told that the whole area had flooded badly on the Friday. It wasn't deep enough to get into any of the cars pedantic had in, and all the flood water had drained away over the weekend. We went to check on Lily and found her driver's seat absolutely saturated. The passenger seat just felt a bit clammy. The driver's window was fully open so we thought at first it had come through the roof. However, there was enough water on the floor to cover the pile of the carpet so presumably it had come over the drivers side cill and the garage floor isn't quite level. Back to pedantic to postpone her booking and ask him to put Paris in the garage when she was done, then back to cover the seat with a large piece of plastic so I didn't drown when Al towed her out of the garage (Saab this time). We were both very relieved when she started. While Al was taking the tow rope off and locking the garage I looked back and she'd left a trail of water from the exhaust, plus water was running out from here there and everywhere. Hopefully she shed most of what was underneath on the 30 mile drive home. The only electrical problem I noticed was the handbrake light stayed on so I guessed the water was up to the mechanism / wiring under it.

Here's the telltale silt on the front lip

and inside

drivers cill also coated with silt

Al took the interior out, which wasn't too difficult as he'd put the half leather seats in so the bolts weren't rusted solid and he'd slit the carpet over the central tunnel where it's hidden. That piece of Volvo deadening mat was securely glued onto the tunnel, so it stayed in and was the last thing to dry properly.

After using towels to remove the water on the floor, 2 dehumidifiers and a small fan heater went in - dreading the electric bill!

Ah, yes, we can see where the water came up to under the handbrake

I noticed that the door card cover was peeling away along the top so worried the card was soggy so that came off as well.

It was actually bone dry but while it was off I taped plastic over the openings where there was no moisture barrier left. I'm glad I looked at this photo - I hadn't noticed the line of rust just under the window when I looked at the actual door.

While the interior was out, it made sense to use up the half pack of sound deadening sitting in the garage.

Now she's booked back in for her starter and check of the lower engine bay for trapped water later this month. Over the last 5 years we have had one car a year done by a top class bodyshop, respray everywhere necessary and everywhere underneath cleaned and waxed. We started with the worst one (Snazzy of the 200k plus miles) and then in turn accoding to degree of rust. Paris jumped the queue last year, I wasn't going to let such a rare car get any worse so she went in almost as soon as I bought her and virtually rust-free Lily got pushed back to this year. She has no visible rust at all apart from a small patch in the rear hatch reveal, so when the Saab started to rust at both ends of the rear arches and on the rear hatch, he jumped the queue as well and Lily got pushed back again. Now of course, I don't want to leave Lily with water trapped in anywhere it shouldn't be, so it's back to plan B to have her done this year and it'll have to be asap. I daren't think of the pain of a second big bodyshop bill in one year....
Sylvia

hubby has

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:15 pm

Ah, the joys of fleet management eh?

I think a dehumidifier is also as essential to 480 ownership as 7mm hex bit (for handbrake adjustment, in case anyone is wondering!).

Although I'd have paid good money to watch the reverse tow start.... :shock:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:39 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:15 pm
Ah, the joys of fleet management eh?

I think a 7mm hex bit (for handbrake adjustment, in case anyone is wondering!).

Although I'd have paid good money to watch the reverse tow start.... :shock:
I'd edit and suggest a 7mm 'Allen Key' to remove rear calipers
A 5mm/4mm 'combo' to do the adjustment , the latter home made by gradually filing down a 5mm one :rofl:

I've done a reverse bump start down the drive towards the garage door, just to add to the stress level

Nae good tho about the flooding :cryhard:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:46 pm

:shock:

Oh my goodness Sylvia. I'd be mortified if some of my cars got a handbrake high bath.

As if 480's need any more help taking on water, let alone acts of God!

Best wishes sorting it out.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars