480 GT breaking for parts!

Cleaned up the garage and found some parts you want to sell? Or are you looking for that one part? You can advertise or request just about anything that has to do with the Volvo 480 in here: brochures, towing-hooks, antenna's, etc etc...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

cranna21
Can tell where the 480 was built

480 GT breaking for parts!

Post by cranna21 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 am

Whole host of bits available however the below are NOT AVAILABLE:

Engine and gearbox + ECU and loom
Air conditioning set up and radiator
Lights of any kind

Nearly all other components are available!

-The car has ABS and all ABS components are still available and believed to be functioning (with the exclusion of wheel speed sensors)
-Interior is a 7/10 condition, rear seats nigh on immaculate, front passenger OK and Driver as ever is the worst with wear to the outside bolster, the leather would require 'feeding and conditioning' to the front seats and possibly some colouring, they do not have subframes attached to them as I used them to fit Recaro's to my own 480 - door trim panels are also available however they have been removed from the wooden backing panels again as I used them to retrim my own interior!
-Set of Vesa's in really nice original condition (tyres are so-so, seem to hold air and all have some tread but they've been sitting a while so I would throw a new pair of boots on them just to be safe)
-Nice solid phase 2 subframe for the oil filled rear mount type

As mentioned lots of other bits and bobs available, I'm keeping a large quantity of stuff for myself for my private hoard but willing to sell some parts! and I am willing to offer some small cuts of the chassis to send as repair sections however note that the car is rotten in ALL the usual places... But I'm going to 'flat pack' the shell and keep the majority of it for repair panels for my own in-case of an accident!

any questions - just ask!
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 212bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'08 XC90 D5 SE Premium

j8nmb
480 Newbie

Re: 480 GT breaking for parts!

Post by j8nmb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi,
Just joined and saw your post. A while ago I lost the rear window sprayer off my 1994 480 GT. If you have that small part available I would love to do a deal ?

Hoping you can assist,

Neil Bodman
Last edited by j8nmb on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 pm

For all your dashboard woes, you need to send a message to Robert Brink (Brinkie).
Dashboard are like salmon and all want to return to their homes at some point! :rofl:
He’ll probably be along shortly and he can sense a faulty dashboard even from the Netherlands.

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Slightly off topic but I had a non functioning speedo in my GT. I traced the fault to speedo cable connection plug under the airbox, just on top of the gearbox.
It had deteriorated inside the loom and I only found the snapped cable when I removed some insulation.

I'll try and host a pic...
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Murf

Post by Murf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Cancel that, just re-read that the speedo works but the odometer doesn't. Sorry, ignore me!
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:06 pm

j8nmb wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:19 pm
Just joined and saw your post. A while ago I lost the rear window sprayer off my 1994 480 GT. If you have that small part available I would love to do a deal ?

I have had the vehicle from new and the only other problem I have concerns the odometer which stopped recording about two years ago at approx. 65,000 miles; the speedometer is o.k. My garage tells me I need to replace the head because some cogs are probably worn or broken. I am told that there are two different types and to note the number engraved on the instrument panel glass; which is K10753. I am not at all mechanically minded so hope I have described the problem adequately.
Losing the rear window sprayer is a very common problem for the 480, I have seen it the other day with a friend's 480, we were testing the window washer pump and the cap of the sprayer just blew off! Lucky we found it on the parking lot and stuck it back on. I don't have the part at hand but there are people breaking cars and sometimes they have one.

Odometers that stop recording is an even more common problem. The cog wheel of the odometer mechanism falls apart due to the aging and needs to be replaced. This is an intermediate level DIY job, it has been described in a forum post here how to do that. But if you are not confident to fix it yourself, I can do it for you. The cost will be the postage across the North Sea and back (unfortunately, weather forecast will bring me to southern France this year for a holiday and not the UK, so there will be no personal delivery this time as I did a couple of years ago :lol: ), a cog wheel, new light bulbs and a bit extra to cover the cost of my equipment and some beer money. It is by no means a commercial service, I am only doing this because it will keep people enthusiast for the Volvo 480, the more the merrier. :)
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

j8nmb
480 Newbie

Post by j8nmb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi Robert, Thanks for your info. I would like the odometer fixed to give it a new lease of life. Will it show a realistic mileage again ? You'll appreciate that the problem does not stop me driving the car and if I were to ever sell it my youngest son would disown me. (I understand that the practice of engraving a leather interior with different coloured geometric shapes was confined to very few 480 GT's). I would like to accept your kind offer but because there is no particular urgency could I enquire if you plan to visit the U.K. next year ? We do live in a very pleasant region here. I only ask because it would be simpler than relying on the mail; although postage would not be a problem. I assume that my local garage will be able to remove the odometer; while still leaving a functioning speedometer until it can be replaced ?

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Well, I have the same problem here, my 14-year-old great Volvo friend is almost counting the days until he turns 17 and will be able to get his drivers' license, to drive away with my 480. :lol:

You cannot separate odometer from speedometer, it is one assembly. (Well technically you can, but you wouldn't want to do that)
Better to take the whole instrument cluster out and have it sent for repair.

There is however no problem using the postal service. I have to knock it off to unpainted wood, but by using registered / tracked parcels it always arrived here and it always returned to its owner in the UK in one piece. I wouldn't wait for the chance of us visiting exactly your part of the world. ;) My kid is on a bi-lingual school (English and Dutch), he already visited Brighton and York with school, so if we go to the UK, it will probably be Wales or Scotland. Or you must be living near Wincanton, because we still want to visit the Discworld Emporium (the main reason I am trying to be proficient in English: to be able to read Terry Pratchett without things getting lost in translation :) )
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

Norm57

Post by Norm57 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:27 am

j8nmb wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 pm
Hi Robert, Thanks for your info. I would like the odometer fixed to give it a new lease of life. Will it show a realistic mileage again ? You'll appreciate that the problem does not stop me driving the car and if I were to ever sell it my youngest son would disown me. (I understand that the practice of engraving a leather interior with different coloured geometric shapes was confined to very few 480 GT's). I would like to accept your kind offer but because there is no particular urgency could I enquire if you plan to visit the U.K. next year ? We do live in a very pleasant region here. I only ask because it would be simpler than relying on the mail; although postage would not be a problem. I assume that my local garage will be able to remove the odometer; while still leaving a functioning speedometer until it can be replaced ?
I have posted the whole unit to Robert twice with no problems. Can highly recommend.

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm

brinkie wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 pm
It will probably be Wales or Scotland.
I'm in the Highlands of Scotland, let me know if you need any info or plan to visit 😁👍
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:02 am

Sounds like a brilliant idea to go to the Highlands instead of southern France this year, the aircon condenser of the V70 is on its last legs and repair is pretty expensive, a new pair of windscreen wipers is much cheaper! :rofl: But this will be the first year we'll be towing a tent trailer, and we have not planned to churn out €1600 for the ferry to Newcastle (including meals, I checked a minute ago). Maybe next year :)
Robert.

cranna21

Post by cranna21 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm

j8nmb wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:19 pm
Hi,

Hoping you can assist,

Neil Bodman
Hi Neil!

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner! I do indeed have one on this car and it is available! i will PM you :)
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 212bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'08 XC90 D5 SE Premium