1990 Turbo Auto - VOL 480T

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Re: 1990 Turbo Auto

Post by edie_fox » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:39 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:15 am
So, next question: Have you got a multi-meter?

Haha, in a way, it’s good I don’t know anything so it can’t enrage me!

I’ve spoke to the other guy who is apparently a really good auto electrician, ex- MOD of the kind. He said he can do it all. So I’m going to pop over there on a Friday afternoon so he can have a look and quote.

Yes, definitely had some post-production fiddling done hasn’t it.

I haven’t got one but I will get one, they’re not expensive are they. 🙂

Thank you!
Hopefully by the end of July I can post a nice picture of a tidy battery area!
Last edited by edie_fox on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: 1990 Turbo Auto - Fox

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:21 pm

Just to give you an idea of an unmolested connection, so you can see what you should have, and therefore whats been changed:

Battery clamp:

Right wire coming out of battery clamp and down to starter:

Left wire coming out of battery clamp, towards alternator:

mathrock
480 Newbie

Post by mathrock » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:58 am

edie_fox wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:47 pm
Yes, I need to stop popping the dog to the woods in it, Jeff! Haha. Might use it for uni a bit in September (on dry days! :wink: ), about 40-50 mile round trip. Not done nearly as many mile as I thought I would this summer. Just saw the RADwood Goodwood event on August 11th I'd love to have gone to but we're on holiday that day. Looks like it might be a nice display of 80s/90s cars.
Y'all should definitely try to go to RADwood! I took my 1993 480 Turbo to the one in NJ in the US and everyone loved it!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 am

mathrock wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:58 am

Y'all should definitely try to go to RADwood! I took my 1993 480 Turbo to the one in NJ in the US and everyone loved it!
Hey.
I did see their event and I was really interested in going but unfortunately we're away on holiday then so can't make it.
:(

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Gratuitous selfie! :D

Managed to get him going tonight with an electrical donation from the Saxo.

Battery was about 11.85 sat. Just over 12 after a little charge (wouldn’t even jump start without an afternoon of charging).
When running was 13.60. Took him out for about half an hour on faster roads and he started again when I got back! First time in aaaages. So, might try again tomorrow and give it a good overnight charge before he goes in next Monday.

Looking forward to Lincs meet....where he should be totally fixed and perhaps even have a new MOT.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:48 pm

He is back and all is well! At least for now.
Such hard work trying to take him for things when he needs to be left. There is no public transport and I only know 2 people in the universe... who don't live near me and are always ultra busy so getting to and from a garage always necessitates a master plan. All it was keeping me off the road was a terminal on the back of the starter I'm told. Funny how I needed a new Volvo battery for that isn't it. :lol:
SO, time will tell if it's all sorted now.
Booked in for MOT mid October and also trying to get quotes for some form of undersealing/protection.

Went to a small show in Minting, Lincolnshire today. Makes a nice change when people talk to me and don't give me silent side-eye for not having a Triumph, an Austin or an MG. :D

Nola: TCB.

Also....hate photobucket. :angry:
Last edited by edie_fox on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:56 pm

So..... He's immobile AGAIN.
Seems electrical...again. Not the same thing though. Totally soaking under bonnet from rain. (garage due next spring...can't come soon enough!) Everytime he has to go out on an essential trip, it's raining!

So, back to the auto electrician this week...which involves a nightmare of trying to get him off the back muddy drive out onto the road (not pushable so have to try and enlist the help of a friend to tow out but only know 2 people in the universe so...difficult). Breakdown always send huge trucks that cannot do our rural, tiny drive. Then working around work and uni and not being able to get to the garage to collect him....and he's due at Volvo for MOT next Saturday too. :wall:
Also.....poor Jeff. I probably text 4 days out of 7 with "How do I.....?", "what's this....?", "Should this be here?" or "Where can I buy....?" :lol: Sorry/Thank you!

I wanted to get him undersealed before MOT and in time for the meet in October as he'll go to bed after that until April. I got a quote of £570 from rustbuster (www.rust.co.uk). Which, for all the work they do, seemed reasonable. You can go back each year for £60 and have it topped up and checked. But they couldn't fit me in until mid December. No good for me. So I asked a well established classics company in my uni town to do it. I understand that I wouldn't be getting the full shebang the other company would be doing but thought it was best to get something done for now.

I dropped the car off last Tuesday and collected on Saturday (3 buses and 3 hours). They called to say they couldn't find the locking nut key. They said it's ok though, they can still do it. No "would you like us to go ahead, there may be risk of XYZ".

It was raining when I got home so I ran in and popped out on the Sunday to clean and dry it to re-cover.....Then I found all the overspray. :sick:

I know it's cleanable but I was a tad disappointed (understatement). I have had to wait a week for the cleaner to arrive and got on it today. God knows what else is covered in it that isn't supposed to be. :(

....I've purchased a couple of standard wheel nuts off eBay and intend to swap them at the meeting (guessing someone will have a locking key suitable?).

I know the obvious thing that you want to scream at me is 'take it back!' but I wouldn't dare let them try to clean it in their half-wit manner...especially knowing I was not happy. I'd be even more worried. I've done what I can without taking the doors off but it was so awfull to see the mess after him usually being so clean and tidy. I've just made this video and I will forward to them but don't expect much of a reply.....if any.

https://youtu.be/I4vkt74sRpw

Anyway...I'm sure I'll see you in October, those attending!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:58 am

Firstly, no need to apologise for texting. “The only silly question is the one the you never ask” was taught to me a long time ago.

Locking wheel nuts - take a picture of the sort you have. Shall bring dougie along (the battery impact wrench - named because when you use it, it goes “dougie dougie dougie!!”). Most keys have a specific key, but depending on type, there are “other” ways to remove....

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:30 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:58 am
Locking wheel nuts - take a picture of the sort you have. Shall bring dougie along (the battery impact wrench - named because when you use it, it goes “dougie dougie dougie!!”). Most keys have a specific key, but depending on type, there are “other” ways to remove....
Thank you! As soon as I get it back I'll get a pic. It's with them again now and having MOT there instead. I officially HATE rain.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Under the bonnet, are your drain pipes near the front bulkhead clear?‎ There should be one each side near the triangular apertures for the fan and fuse/relay box (between the windscreen wipers). Very easy to remove and clean and prevent the fuse/relay box getting full of water which might have disabled your unlucky 480. 
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:23 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:48 pm
Under the bonnet, are your drain pipes near the front bulkhead clear?‎ There should be one each side near the triangular apertures for the fan and fuse/relay box (between the windscreen wipers). Very easy to remove and clean and prevent the fuse/relay box getting full of water which might have disabled your unlucky 480. 
Hi James :)

I took them out yesterday, they were totally blocked. Must have been like that for years! That area was in inches of water but, very luckily, there was no footwell or fusebox water or condensation at all. It's with the garage again now....having got it started yet broken down about 4 miles from home this morning! Still, easiest way to get it recovered and to the garage for me!

The engine looked like it had had two buckets of water thrown all over it. I just don't know how to stop it getting like this (pre-garage)?! I avoid going out in the rain but it had been at the undersealing garage so I had to drive it home. Perhaps bad rain and standing water are enough to do all the soaking? Urgh, anyway, he's going to bed after the Lincs meet!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:16 pm

Hopefully clearing those tubes will help future floods. It is weird that the engine should look wet. Are the seals present from this picture?‎

I think the grey ones were not on earlier cars, but you should definitely have the black ones at the back of the engine bay at the top of the pictures‎

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 pm

As for keeping rubbish out of the engine bay while driving, there should be an under tray and also side covers for the engine bay. To see if the side covers are there, turn the wheels and look at the big gap at the front of the road wheel. There should be a black rectangular cover like this:

The under tray is pretty obvious as to whether it is missing or not. 

I don't think these will have cause the engine to get covered in water (more likely the missing seals in the post above). However, they'd still be nice to have. ‎

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:19 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:16 pm
Hopefully clearing those tubes will help future floods. It is weird that the engine should look wet. Are the seals present from this picture?‎

I think the grey ones were not on earlier cars, but you should definitely have the black ones at the back of the engine bay at the top of the pictures‎
james

will you please remove such 'engine-p**n' from tinternet, you will start making people a tad jealous . .. . . .

but note ONLY a side shield on teh engine side? none fitted to gearbox side? although the item fitted on engine side CAN be fitted to gearbox side (well on mine never had a gearbox one, but happy to be corrected)

PS
Jeff yur images have gone again :-( big 'no entry sign'

Eddie
your photos have been hijacked/held to ransom by Photo-Bucket?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Hey Alan! Sorry if I wasn't clear. There is a side shield on each side‎ of the engine bay. One one the engine side, one on the gearbox side. They are different parts, which are basically mirror images of one another. 

Interestingly, the plastic captive nut and metal bolt to hold these shields on were both easily ordered from the Volvo dealer last year. I presume they were used on other cars.

The shields I got from https://www.volvo340onderdelen.nl/en/

My engine bay is pretty clean but it's no where as shiny as the car in the picture which I just found using image search! 

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 pm
As for keeping rubbish out of the engine bay while driving, there should be an under tray and also side covers for the engine bay.

The under tray is pretty obvious as to whether it is missing or not. 

I don't think these will have cause the engine to get covered in water (more likely the missing seals in the post above). However, they'd still be nice to have. ‎
Thanks, James. I'll take a good look for the tray when I get it back! I think I'll need a Carruthers diagnostic test drive too. :lol:
I've just had a look at my video on t'tube and it looks like the seals are all there.
https://youtu.be/MoWnpjsrNyY?t=333

It always got soaked in any heavy rain. Seems stupid that it gets quite so wet because, well, cars are supposed to be outside! Never known anything like this.
https://i.ibb.co/GRCtWfp/IMG-6689.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/zVwjRsc/IMG-6691.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Z6LjPV8/IMG-6696.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/dGysXGt/IMG-6694.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/DDTQsbX/IMG-6693.jpg
P.S. I've just tried this ImgBB site for pics.....Photobucket is awful!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:05 am

Just thinking....
When I bought the car there was no padded insulation under the bonnet with the cut outs etc.... think this could be an issue?

I’ve added thin soundproofing (still some to be done!) but put off the thicker one until I had a better idea of thickness and weather or not get cut outs sorted.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 am

I'm really not sure. I must be honest, I can't remember opening the bonnet after heavy driving in the rain but I would expect it to be pretty dry. I'd also expect the heat of the engine to make the water evaporate pretty quickly too should any get in the engine bay.

My car is off the road and I'm far far away where there is no rain. Could any other members comment on whether or not their engine bays get wet when driving?‎

Regarding the sound proofing, I was going to mention something about open- and closed-cell foam maybe having an effect. It would make sense to me to use closed-cell foam so that it doesn't absorb water. However, I see in your pictures that you have some sort of metal backed stuff, so that won't be soaking up the water only to maybe release it later. 

Again, I'm just guessing here but maybe Volvo used open cell stuff that, probably unintentionally, absorbed water and that's why it hasn't lasted so long... that and thousands of heat cycles by now!

As a side note, I would suggest though that you cover the battery terminals if you have metal heat shielding above them. Maybe you could stick some thick rubber on top of that small section where the terminals are? Or change the battery terminals to ones that completely cover the tops with insulating plastic? Should the battery become loose or you have a crash the battery could be shorted out which could start a fire.‎

Cross your fingers that by clearing the drain holes you have fixed the problem. If there was a huge pool in the scuttle, there could have been some weird aerodynamic effect when driving where it was sucking water droplets from here and depositing them in the engine bay. Although with the seals in place it seems unlikely. That just leaves the side panels and undertray to consider. ‎

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 am

Earlier models had a side shield both sides; later ones (at least, 2.0 l) only had one on driver's side.

If yours is missing I have a spare driver's side one...

Is the bonnet sitting properly closed along its side seals? I can't understand why the engine is getting so wet - cleaning those drain holes will have helped though!

Don't think the under bonnet insulation will make any difference to water ingress...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:40 am

dcwalker wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 am
Earlier models had a side shield both sides; later ones (at least, 2.0 l) only had one on driver's side.

If yours is missing I have a spare driver's side one...
another VOLVO 'bean counter' cost cutting measure? :wink:

I'll maybe use a section of plastic bucket :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1