1990 Turbo Auto - VOL 480T

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Re: 1990 Turbo Auto - Fox

Post by edie_fox » Sat May 04, 2019 10:20 am

jifflemon wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Did they say why the coolant isn’t doing what it should? Seems a vague diagnosis. Is it leaking? Lacking in coolant? In need of a flush?
I can’t remember exactly now but sticking their traffic light tester in it, I think it wasn’t able to keep cool enough.... Which makes sense as it does get too warm very easily when just stood for a minute amount of time in traffic.

I can’t wait for the garage! I’m estimating he’d spend three days out in the rain a year uncovered on the road. That’s three heartbreaking days too many! :lol:

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:27 pm

So, where to start.....?

The good:

Displayed at a couple of little shows: Brayford, Lincoln and Louth Classic Car Show. Hopefully doing Cadwell VSCC day in July and Kirklees Light Railway in September.

He's been in to the Volvo dealership in Grimsby a few times for bits and bobs of maintenance.

I invested for my son, Fox B...... :wink:

The bad:

Info centre has been intermittent recently. It'll be fine for a few weeks, then go off/on every ten minutes, then go off for an entire journey then be fine again for a few weeks. It then had a big old reset and displayed everything:

The rain.... :cryhard: So, I have a cover but it's that Halfords one that is 'breathable' on the sides.... I went to start it and I feel that over the past four weeks, it has struggled a little. I put this down to only using it about once a week and the battery not getting charged/dying. So I bought a trickle charger (charges normally then switches to trickle when full). I tried to start after this and it struggled again after about three tries, then kind of buzzed and lost everything. Zero electrics. I have had a previous 480 get wet but that was a hardcore leaker and it was the water coming from drivers/front/screen area that killed a relay. This....this looks like the water has somehow got into the engine bay. The interior is dry, the engine bay was not. So, looks like it'll need recovering to Volvo and hopefully they'll let it sit there until payday.....if it's not crazy unaffordable to repair this month of course. So currently, it's going nowhere. We were moving to lovely detached house with a garage last week....then had to stop the process as couldn't get transport for Fox to his new school in September. We were majorly gutted to say the least!

The ugly:

A guy came to collect a rabbit cage I sold and he reversed straight into the corner of the 480....
I thought it had just damaged the wrap (black line around car is a wrap, not paint) but looking a few days later, I saw it's actually cracked the bumper between the two layers. This needs fixing but I don't want to do it (painting wise - I know I won't get the right laquer look!). Then the wrap will need replacing. Everyone tells me I can't ask him to pay as it was on private land and it's weeks ago now.
What did he say? "Oh, did I hit it? I wasn't looking that side." :kill:

He also crept over the 40,000 mark last week. Awful experience! :shock:

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Let’s start with the good: if it’s investment, now is the time for young mr fox to learn how to protect his investment. Start with the two bucket wash method before moving to spanner’s :lol:

The bad and the ugly; well, sadly they’re inevitable. Take comfort from the fact they’re fixable. You’ve got the garage coming soon, and I’m sure we can find a good white bumper, plus it’s an excuse to check your rear bumper mounting.

You could of course, lock the car away and never use it again, this preventing potential further damage but I think most of us on here agree they should be driven, not hidden.

Onwards and upwards!

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 am

Funny, the info centre going haywire, that is what happens sometimes in my car, too. Either it displays everything, or it freezes (display stuck), or it remains blank. And it always comes back to life. Can't seem to find out why, because it never happens when I am testing the instrument cluster in my lab.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 am

brinkie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 am
Funny, the info centre going haywire, that is what happens sometimes in my car, too. Either it displays everything, or it freezes (display stuck), or it remains blank. And it always comes back to life. Can't seem to find out why, because it never happens when I am testing the instrument cluster in my lab.
that makes me feel better, intermittent electrics are a nightmare, if you can't suss it then nobody is going to have a hope . .. .
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Yes! Good to know it's not just me too, haha. It doesn't cause any issues for me and more pressing things to deal with so won't be stripping anything out to check just yet.

I did finally get my rear badges sorted. I was gutted to go and collect it and find them 'missing', so really happy to get them back on. The 480 Turbo one was £25 and the Catalyser one was £15, both from eBay. The catalyser one had barely any paint left on it so I had to do something with it. I left the other one with it's defects as I could not find any paint that didn't stand out but I ordered a couple of cheap silver paint/pens off eBay to give it go and I found a Chinese large felt pen, which I think was less that £2, was perfect. Went on nicely and looks fine.

It's been sat under two covers now (one of which is now a fully waterproof, no breathable sides type!) since not starting last week and is going to the garage on Wednesday. My home breakdown states it will only take me 10 miles so, I will use the man who was previously a Renault mechanic in the town nearby. He's a one-man show so fingers crossed he'll be a decent guy. Seems very nice (but they all bloody do at the start, it seems!) I'll update with diagnosis. If you could cross all your fingers and toes for me....hoping it's nothing major but I do think it was down to the rain in engine bay. I'm praying I'm just stupid enough to not work a charger properly and that the battery is just dead. :lol:

As I detest my neighbours, therefore, I may move, I'm holding off on building the garage this winter and have found a company in Sleaford http://www.bsjholdings.co.uk/storage.htm where I think I'm going to store it November 'til April. They keep it charged, start it and move it about so that would take a huge pressure off of it being out in the elements this year. It's due MOT November 1st so I'll get that done in the latter half of October and store from 31 October so I can SORN til 1 April. It ain't free but I'm willing to pay to take that stress off!

Does anyone else put theirs away over winter? Is it best to get it serviced when it comes out or when it goes in?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Because I do servicing myself, I’d say both....

However, I’d do after if I was in your position. Short runs will let condensation build up in the engine (as it never gets hot enough to turn to steam), so don’t be surprised to find a little mayo in the oil in spring time.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:25 pm

When everything is up to standard (battery, alternator, etc.) you should e able to leave the car for a month and it should start fine. Maybe your battery is just at the end of its life? 
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:47 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:25 pm
When everything is up to standard (battery, alternator, etc.) you should e able to leave the car for a month and it should start fine. Maybe your battery is just at the end of its life? 
Hmmmm. I was using it once or twice a week. You did just ring a bell though... When I bought it, he said he couldn't figure what killed the new battery and then realised the inoperative horn/alarm had been going off. Horn was replaced. Worth a mention when it gets seen (as I can't now test the horn!). It was a new battery earlier this year, I'd say March time, I believe.

Yes, I need to stop popping the dog to the woods in it, Jeff! Haha. Might use it for uni a bit in September (on dry days! :wink: ), about 40-50 mile round trip. Not done nearly as many mile as I thought I would this summer. Just saw the RADwood Goodwood event on August 11th I'd love to have gone to but we're on holiday that day. Looks like it might be a nice display of 80s/90s cars.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Well, the battery has power. He did discover the ignition is sparking when he turns the key though. Fuses are all good too apparently. It felt like something did ‘burn out’ with a but of a buzz when I last got anything from the ignition.

Zero everything, completely dead so awaiting recovery to either Volvo or closer garage if they can’t take me that far.

Doesn’t feel like this is going to be a good outcome! Something electrical has obviously had a major damping in this rain. Spares at the ready, lads! :lol:

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:33 pm

I understand tis is probably going to be solved by the garage but If I had complete power loss‎ I'd be starting with a look at mega fuse (search on here, it used to come up a lot years ago but now is never mentioned!) and also the few connections just after the battery positive terminal which could be suspect (try unplugging the replugging them and see if things improve). Also I'd look down the side of the battery negative terminal to the car body and see if the earth strap looks like isn't just made of corrosion.

1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks, James. It's actually just gone (three trucks later!....I did tell them it won't fit a giant vehicle down the drive).

He checked all over in terms of grounding - earth would that be? So we didn't blow up? (you know my knowledge is limited, haha). He disconnected the battery just in case. All is good around it though. If they call and say they need more than an hour to diagnose, I will mention the mega fuse (just had a look on here). I do think it's got wet and that's caused something in there to give up.....we'll soon see what..... :(

It went to Volvo in Grimsby in the end. At least they do pay monthly repairs if you need it. :lol:

They will get to it Monday if not before. I'll let you know how many months wages it'll be when I know! It's strange how you never even question what it needs, you just accept it....aaaaaah, lovely 480 life. :D

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:13 am

Sad to read these latest posts - it's a lovely looking car and you paid a handsome price for it; you don't deserve these sorts of problems!

I would echo what James has said. Damp gets into the connectors in the battery leads running across the front of the engine compartment very easily, and there are a few of them.

Likewise, the megafuse sitting between the alternator and battery was put there originally following a recall of early models over a fire risk. I was given to understand that although Volvo then just continued to fit them as standard, actually a redesign in later models meant they weren't strictly needed.

But if it has blown (maybe just because of a short circuit caused by water) then by design it leaves everything on the starting side dead as a dodo...

Keep us posted and I hope the garage is merciful on your bank balance!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:28 am

So, despite recovery saying battery was fine, it wasn’t. New battery has started it. But now I need to source a grounding cable and possible the positive cable/connection too as these are well worn and not holding as they should.

He’s given me to part numbers:
3465595 and 3456918

Only had a quick call with him so until I go and get it on Friday, I can’t physically see the lengths/sizes to know if I can just buy aftermarket or if there are any OE parts still floating about. Having a quick look on eBay, it seems I can get a grounding cable for £10.... any better quality options known or is that as good as it gets?
Of course, if anyone has decent parts to sell.... :P do let me know! Basically, anything cable to battery related.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:50 pm

ooooo you're into my arena now!

Earth cables - You simply cannot have enough of them! see my post here. Don't bother trying to buy new original ones, or second hand ones. They'll all be unobtainable or crap.

Same applies to the battery terminals. Any auto electrician worth their salt would be able to replace both terminals, solder on some new ends and add a bucket load of earths; and it shouldn't cost a lot, it's probably a couple of hours work if you're doing it leisurely.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:10 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:50 pm
ooooo you're into my arena now!

Earth cables - You simply cannot have enough of them! see my post here. Don't bother trying to buy new original ones, or second hand ones. They'll all be unobtainable or crap.

Same applies to the battery terminals. Any auto electrician worth their salt would be able to replace both terminals, solder on some new ends and add a bucket load of earths; and it shouldn't cost a lot, it's probably a couple of hours work if you're doing it leisurely.
Haha, thanks, Jeff. It’s still at Volvo in Grimsby. I’ll get a better idea of everything when I see it. Also, forgot to mention, it never went for the recall of the mega fuse it seems. Is that a bad thing?
Good luck with the new, new.....new 480! :D

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Start looking now for local Auto-Electricians; Check local Facebook groups for recommendations.Ideally, You want someone who ONLY does auto-electrics.

Scope of works:
Replace and re-terminate battery leads and clamps.
Additional Engine/body, body to battery grounds.
Fuse install on the main positive (I'm about to do - at some point - so can happily document)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:58 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm
Start looking now for local Auto-Electricians; Check local Facebook groups for recommendations.Ideally, You want someone who ONLY does auto-electrics.

Scope of works:
Replace and re-terminate battery leads and clamps.
Additional Engine/body, body to battery grounds.
Fuse install on the main positive (I'm about to do - at some point - so can happily document)
Thanks. :D I don't do Facehell but I can find some in my hometown. I have a decent garage/guy there who will probably have good recommendations too if I get stuck. The ones I've used previously there are all probably gone now!

So, I'm £174 down with the diagnosis and a new battery. I wish the breakdown guy had suggested/noticed it was just that though. He got all panicky when he said the ignition was sparking and seemed to back off. Apparently there is no problem there. Oh well. I do wonder if the guy who sold me it just charged and didn't replace the battery now (after figuring out the horn was broken and the alarm had been going off) as he said it had been replaced earlier this year. I only use it once or twice a week at best but I have felt it getting less likely to start each time. I'm not sure if that would be the case or if that's totally wrong. This is my first 'second' car.

It'll cost me £50 (including the £30 admin fee :x ) to put commuting on my insurance so maybe I'll do that too. Just so it gets out more.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 pm

After calling and visiting around ten auto electricians in about a 20 mile radius, I find no hope.

One guy said he can happily make/fit the earth strap/negative side but was a bit perplexed with the junctions on the positive side. Older guy, said he'd never seen those before. He also said, if it was his car, he wouldn't be worried about them in the slightest as they still function and the earth strap is in good condition. The white box.....any idea? Apparently there is one further down that cable too. It has a black cover on, he took it off to have a look so I snapped a quick pic. I have also got another recommendation from my neighbour, so going to check them out too.

Car started and ran fine, has a shiny new Volvo battery with a 3 year guarantee (roughly £75). When I started it tonight though, it just seems like it's not as good as it could/should be. Takes a little longer than I'd expect to kick in. Would replacing anything (such as starter/alternator) help clean up the start a bit?

Yes, I could probably rent out a little apartment by the sea for this monthly outgoing but, oh well....480 love. :P

Oooh, I also finally got my 'new' badges back on. Not the prettiest close up and, despite using an old pic for reference, I think I got the catalyser one too high so that will have to come off again at some point! Good to get it back to how it should be though.

P.S. Thanks for putting up with my uselessness. It does infuriate me that I know so little about all the components under the bonnet!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:15 am

edie_fox wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 pm
After calling and visiting around ten auto electricians in about a 20 mile radius, I find no hope.

One guy said he can happily make/fit the earth strap/negative side but was a bit perplexed with the junctions on the positive side. Older guy, said he'd never seen those before. He also said, if it was his car, he wouldn't be worried about them in the slightest as they still function and the earth strap is in good condition. The white box.....any idea? Apparently there is one further down that cable too. It has a black cover on, he took it off to have a look so I snapped a quick pic. I have also got another recommendation from my neighbour, so going to check them out too.

Car started and ran fine, has a shiny new Volvo battery with a 3 year guarantee (roughly £75). When I started it tonight though, it just seems like it's not as good as it could/should be. Takes a little longer than I'd expect to kick in. Would replacing anything (such as starter/alternator) help clean up the start a bit?
So the first thing that tells me, is that you haven't got any Auto-electricians near you. :angry: This is the sort of stuff we'd do all the time as apprentices! however, I digress...

So, the cables at A are the first that don't look right - Particularly the big black one - Any chance of following that and seeing where it heads? The two smaller red ones are (from memory) Volvo wires. my gut feel is that it goes off to the alternator, but it doesn't look like standard Volvo stuff, so I'm wondering if its been "altered"

The connector at B: Standard bloody Volvo - Normally has a plastic cover over it. Older guy has never seen one? Where's he been living? The moon? It's simply a power take off. The thick red wire goes off to the starter motor.

And finally, I can see verdigris on those battery terminals at C, so why the heck can't they? I can also see the terminal has been over tightened and the wires aren't exactly connected in the most efficient manner! :angry:

So, next question: Have you got a multi-meter?