My 480 life is just beginning!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: My 480 life is just beginning!

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:22 am

Some excellent work going on there.

I struggled for AGES to find a set of door plastics, every 480 being broken had them missing. Am tempted to get them re-done in GRP, BTW, you don't have cover the entire panel with silent coat - 50% coverage would be fine.

I did spot that someone was redoing the bumper mounting plates (3d print job) - I suspect that yours may have been replaced in the past by a less than efficient repairer who simply forgot the first rivet and then couldn't be bothered to rectify it (probably as he only had one rivet and now needed a second!).

Final tip - lubricate the widow runners; Some people would say use silcone, but I'd go for some PTFE/teflon style lubricant (because I can get my hands on it for nothing, and silcone is the work of the devil as fair as paintwork is concerned!).

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by zapcity » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Really do appreciate it.

I'm trying hard to get her on the road for Derbyshire as I want some face to face feedback good or bad!

Everything I do on her is a first time job for me, but I'm slowly building a knowledge base, however being pointed in the right direction saves time and money!

Thankfully I'd lubed the window runners already. Having an XC70 which suffers from sticky electric windows I knew what to do. The windows were jammed in tight!

I took the old lip spoiler into a local plastic workshop today (that backs onto my garage but I didn't know it). He's going to repair using abs welding and a large patch panel. Will much prefer the original back on.
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 am

Pleased to hear you are making progress, even if more slowly than you would like! :D

Fingers crossed for meeting you in May...

All the best

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:04 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 am
Pleased to hear you are making progress, even if more slowly than you would like! :D

All the best

David
Thanks David.

MOT booked for 8th May. My local mech. is ex-Volvo and worked on the 480 at release (he's not a fan!!), so MOT should be OK unless I missed something glaringly obvious. The only time I'll get to drive her is the evening before and on the way to the meeting.

This might not end well!! :lol:
1994 480GT - arrived!!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:29 pm

zapcity wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:04 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 am

All the best

David
Thanks David.

MOT booked for 8th May. My local mech. is ex-Volvo and worked on the 480 at release (he's not a fan!!), so MOT should be OK unless I missed something glaringly obvious. The only time I'll get to drive her is the evening before and on the way to the meeting.

This might not end well!! :lol:
Nooo...look on the bright side! She WILL pass her MOT...she WILL pass her MOT...

If you can find a Volvo mech/tech who knows 480s from their start and likes them you will be finding a rare beast indeed. One of my such contacts loves any chance to play with a 480 now (ie when he has mine in his hands) and sees them very much in two stages: prior to 1991, an absolute pain, in the workshop all the time for various faults and issues; but after 1991, a model he got used to seeing just once a year for annual services barring any leak problems. Having myself owned a 1988 which was the work of the devil, a 1992 that was much better but not brilliant, a 1995 that was good, and now a 1993 and 1995 both of which seem to be fine as such, I am inclined to agree - certainly I draw comfort from his outlook! :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:03 pm

So a really successful day today. I nearly didn't start as it was blowing a hooley, but my plan of booking the MOT worked a treat as motivation.

I started with repairing the door card inserts indoors. A previous removal had broken them at the weak points, and some of the clip mounting holes were very loose. I used superglue to stabilise and strengthen the mounting holes, and araldite with wire mesh strengthening (a bit like fibre glass really) for the breaks.

Araldite the affected area, add a mesh strengthener, add more araldite, cover the araldite with greaseproof paper and add a weight. Once cured, remove the greaseproof. Just need to let the araldite fully cure overnight.

Other canned foods are available!

Onto the door cards. The vinyl had started to delaminate from the backing on the door cards. Altough not seen, I decided to tidy these as it seems sensible to do them when accessible.

Used loads of spring clamps and contact adhesive. Not a difficult job.

Neatens them up nicely.

Also did the superglue treatment around the clip holes. Had to build up a couple up with araldite as a bit too big/damaged.

Eventually I dragged my backside out into the showers and wind to try and get the doors assembled. I have spent about 4 days working on them, mainly trying to repair the butchery of the previous owner. I won't say the door cards are a good design, actually I think they are very poor, but they can be easily disassembled without damaging if you want to.

I finished fitting the sound insulation to the doors and added the clear plastic speaker liners. One was not in great condition but managed to fashion a repair with tape etc.

So door cards on using the new clips from Marianne.

I don't understand why these are used. Surely the white push in style like the one fitted in the bottom centre of the card, could have been used in all positions.

No drama with the cards, all fitted ok.

Finally door card insert on with a full complement of clips.

A hell of a lot of work for something that doesnt look much different to when I started.

Loving the look now though, especially with a working window!'

I also fitted the rear speakers and the sound insulation through the apertures. Only about a 1/2 hour job.

So fire up the stereo!!

Big nod here to Jaster :wink:. For £100 the sound quality is superb especially as I've retained the trusty VC802 for originality.

Just need to fit the 2nd. door card insert tomorrow, and this task is crossed off.

Also have a new seat belt arm to fit.

Good day :D
1994 480GT - arrived!!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Am sat here reading and nodding....

Door cards are certainly a very poor design; standard trim clips would make life so much easier...

But, it’s good to tick items off the list. Have you contemplated sound deadening the roof panel? Given how simple the headlining comes out, it’s something I’m currently pondering as it’s possibly the largest flattest panel on the car.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 pm

OK, Jiff, dish the info on removing the headlining please ! I have a replacement waiting to be fitted in Lily and Al is reluctant to tackle it. He thinks he's going to break the pillar linings.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Taking the roof lining out isn't hard - just take your time and be methodical.

Remove c pillar trims - 2 clips on each so a firm pull - and the grey strip across the top of the boot.

Remove b pillar trims - one screw in coat hanger then some careful manipulation - fold the seatbelt arm down and be careful with it!

Remove strips along the sides - they just clip up.

Remove centre light fitting - 2 screws, keep a note of the wiring arrangements!

Remove sun visors

Remove sunroof switch and surround trim (if you have one).

By now you want someone sitting in the front to hold roof lining up as you gently pull it down at the back. Start to pull it backwards out if the boot - a little push will clear the tops of the a pillar trims. Support from inside as you pull it backwards - you can turn rest it on headrests and you go.

Refitting, as they say, is reversal of removal!

Good luck - tell Al to be brave!!

David

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 am

I've half a box of sound deadening left so I think it might be a winter project.

Given how much it weighs I might need some engine tuning to compensate!
1994 480GT - arrived!!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 pm
OK, Jiff, dish the info on removing the headlining please ! I have a replacement waiting to be fitted in Lily and Al is reluctant to tackle it. He thinks he's going to break the pillar linings.
There’s actually a how to in the how to section (and it still has pictures!)

It’s a half an hour job, the pillar trims are scary, but a whole lot tougher than the rest of the interior!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks for the advice on the headlining, but we've ground to a halt on the sunroof switch - the wires soldered onto it are very stiff and short as well No amount of jiggling it about at different angles produces any chance of getting it up through the hole. Even my legendary patience with fiddly jobs ran out !
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:53 pm

zapcity wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:03 pm
...Used loads of spring clamps and contact adhesive. Not a difficult job.

Good job! Alternatively if you don't have a dozen of clamps, to vacuum them in a large vacuum sealed bag is a possibility.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Mon May 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Another short weekend due to weather, but managed to make lots of progress.

Jobs done: -

Old locking wheel nuts removed and new set fitted,
Driver seat belt arm fitted,
Door jams degreased and cleaned,
Interior cleaned: carpets, leather etc.
Full wash and 2 coats of Dodo Juice wax (Found 2 small leaks - top of passenger window and top of rear hatch)
Gyeon trim on all black.

Full bulb check pre-mot. NS DRL not working traced to slightly correded connector - easy fix.
NS side indicator repeater not working. Bulb OK so measured signal. Nothing. Need to trace where the wires come from. Anyone know? Thanks. :nuts:

Fitted all the missing fixings on the front bumper.
I had some spire nuts but they were too thin to fit the grille to the bumper. As I had the old ones I reused them but was 2 short. Ended up using 2 M4 chimney nuts and these fitted a treat with M4 bolts on the outside fittings. Secured the fogs to the grille and fitted the screws to the underside of the front bumper. Just need my spoiler now to complete.

Bad points other than the non-working repeater: -

Fuel pump (I assume as it is coming from under rear seat) just started whining like a teenager who has had his mobile taken away.
Tickover sitting at 1200ish and doesn't drop.
Creaky suspension (OS rear).
Rear mudflap loose, just a corroded screw.

Given the car hasn't done anything for at least 3 years its not surprising to have a few issues. I've run out of time, so it's going for MOT Wednesday. MY ex-Volvo mech will let me know the score, so we'll see where we are.

Meantime a few pics to break up the monotony of my ramblings.

1994 480GT - arrived!!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue May 07, 2019 7:03 am

She's looking really good! Fingers crossed for tomorrow... :D

The side repeater wiring runs from the rear of the light inside the wing towards the front, then through the rubber grommet into the engine compartment alongside the battery - you should be able to see the pair of think wires there. From there it joins the wiring coming from the front DRL/indicator unit and disappears into the loom.

Silly point, but was this before or after you played with the DRL contacts/connections? If after, I'd check all connections and also check the bulb again.

David

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks David.

Repeater wasn't working at my MOT bulb check. Pre-DRL fiddling!

Given how they are closely linked could be related, so I'll try and have a check tonight. Cheers for the pointers.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Side repeater fixed. Thanks David.

Had a logical think about what I'd done recently. Fitted a battery saver on the negative terminal, and it is certainly a snug fit.

After a dig around I found the repeater connector loose under the battery saver. Quick wiggle and reconnect and all ok.

Spoke to my mech. when dropping off. He said fuel pump could be noisy due to blocked fuel filter. Makes sense so hopefully this will be an easy fix also.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 am

luckily for you, we've got a How-to for that! ;)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 am

Glad side repeater was an easy fix :)

Yes, fuel filter is quite simple...

David

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Wed May 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks for the how to link.

I asked the mech to sort the fuel filter while he had it for the MOT.

Seemed sensible as its an easy job in a workshop. How a nice 4 post lift would make life so much easier!

Anyway, MOT passed with no advisories. Very happy. :hopping:
1994 480GT - arrived!!