Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

User avatar
edie_fox
Started learning about 480
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Lissington, Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by edie_fox » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:48 pm

All of the little finishing touches make such a difference. The rear lights came up great too. Love seeing the photos! :D
2019 - 1990 FOX 480B White Auto Turbo.
2016 -1990 G866 XPO 1.7 Light Blue ES
2008 - 1994 M314 NJA 2.0 Red ES
2005 - 1991 J795 AWU 1.7 Paris Blue ES

100
480 Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by 100 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:17 pm

I can’t take much of the credit for its condition, aside from keeping it clean and doing a few bits like the above I haven’t done much. I bought on condition, ‘Jaster’ found the car for me and it was in great condition then.

It’s also a very photogenic colour, there is no doubt that the wheels need doing and the paint and bodywork is far from perfect.

So don’t let the pictures mislead you into thinking this car is out the factory fresh! But it isn’t bad.

That being said when any car is properly clean it makes such a difference.

I’m unsure about getting to a meet this year as they are usually quite a distance away...! My fault for being in London.
1992 Volvo 480 ES Limited Edition
2005 Renault Clio V6 255
1962 Land Rover Series II

100
480 Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by 100 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Will, Katie and I spent a couple of days on the 480s last weekend, I had a go at Will's rear lights, we both did our DRL lenses and fitted an oil sender on my car.

Results are as follows:

Before:
Image

After:

Image

Image

Man fitting part:

Image

Image

Replacing the DRL lenses:

Before:
Image

During:

Image

Image

Image

Image

After:

Image

Image

Image

After a thorough clean of both:

Image

Image

Image

Image
1992 Volvo 480 ES Limited Edition
2005 Renault Clio V6 255
1962 Land Rover Series II

jifflemon
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Superb work all round!

Drl replacement - top notch
Polishing skills - top notch
Photography skills - superb.

Alan 480
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 pm

looks VERY well done, especially the rear lights!!

which polishing kit did you use,?? I really do need to do the rear lenses, so I'd rather go with a type that does work!!
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

100
480 Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by 100 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am

I didn't use a conventional light restoration kit, my process was as follows:

> Tape around lights and cover reflector
> Thoroughly dry sand vertically with 800 grit until the surface is dull and matte in appearance
> Sand horizontally with 1000 grit using some water in a spray bottle to stop the paper getting clogged and to provide some lubrication
> Sand vertically with 1500 grit with water as above
> Clean and dry
> Use a cutting compound, I used Meguiars 105 which quite 'heavy' on a microfibre pas (DAS 6-PRO DA Polisher with 15mm plate and pad)
> Polished using Meguiars can't-remember-the-name, on a buffing pad - again (DAS 6-PRO DA Polisher with 15mm plate and pad)
> Sealed using Poorboys sealant which includes UV protection - 2 coats applied by hand

That being said, I don't see any reason you might be able to achieve the same results using a kit as it's the same principle.
1992 Volvo 480 ES Limited Edition
2005 Renault Clio V6 255
1962 Land Rover Series II

Alan 480
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am

100 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am
I didn't use a conventional light restoration kit, my process was as follows:

> Tape around lights and cover reflector
> Thoroughly dry sand vertically with 800 grit until the surface is dull and matte in appearance
> Sand horizontally with 1000 grit using some water in a spray bottle to stop the paper getting clogged and to provide some lubrication
> Sand vertically with 1500 grit with water as above
> Clean and dry
> Use a cutting compound, I used Meguiars 105 which quite 'heavy' on a microfibre pas (DAS 6-PRO DA Polisher with 15mm plate and pad)
> Polished using Meguiars can't-remember-the-name, on a buffing pad - again (DAS 6-PRO DA Polisher with 15mm plate and pad)
> Sealed using Poorboys sealant which includes UV protection - 2 coats applied by hand

That being said, I don't see any reason you might be able to achieve the same results using a kit as it's the same principle.
thanks, i'd started with old used 'wet -n dry' can't recall grade, then moved onto an old tub of cutting compound, as mine were already 'matte' :wink:

more time and effort required i think :(
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

I bet that pint of custard came in handy.

Oli and Will, your cars are looking great, well done!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by jifflemon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am
thanks, i'd started with old used 'wet -n dry' can't recall grade, then moved onto an old tub of cutting compound, as mine were already 'matte' :wink:

more time and effort required i think :(
It’s time, not effort. Do use a sanding block to hold the paper, and do take your time, because whilst getting results quickly is pleasing, rushing them can end in disaster.

I actually go much higher on the grit too (2000, 3000) which are actually more like polishing grits, bits that’s because if I didn’t, I’d end up reaching for a power tool and end up meting the damn things.

Patience is the absolute key; i’d Honestly set aside 3-4 hours per light; headphones and a good audiobook/album tracks can help keep you sane, because it’s the most tedious, and back aching job!

Alan 480
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am
thanks, i'd started with old used 'wet -n dry' can't recall grade, then moved onto an old tub of cutting compound, as mine were already 'matte' :wink:

more time and effort required i think :(
It’s time, not effort. Do use a sanding block to hold the paper, and do take your time, because whilst getting results quickly is pleasing, rushing them can end in disaster.

I actually go much higher on the grit too (2000, 3000) which are actually more like polishing grits, bits that’s because if I didn’t, I’d end up reaching for a power tool and end up meting the damn things.

Patience is the absolute key; i’d Honestly set aside 3-4 hours per light; headphones and a good audiobook/album tracks can help keep you sane, because it’s the most tedious, and back aching job!
4 hours, :shock:
maybe I'll live with them being 'matte' , it's not even like you can take them inside and watch telly :(
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

100
480 Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by 100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm

I think my process was probably an hour and a half to two hours, excluding a lot of procrastinating but taking my time.

You need to make sure that you sand off all the burnt up UV coating, any scratches and nail polish and other weird stuff people seem to put onto these lights. The first session of sanding, with the 800 grit, is to get rid of the old UV coating and put new uniform 'scratches' into the plastic (hence the uni-directional sanding).

Increasing the grit to a finer paper and then sanding in a different direction cuts the peaks off the uniform scratches you've already put into the plastic. The final stage of sanding then cuts the peaks off of these.

This is the process I'd recommend and it didn't take an awful amount of time although my back was sore by the end of it; it really isn't a process to be rushed or a 5 minute job but so worth doing.

Having done two sets of lights I'm quite confident with my process now. Seeing for sale adverts like the white turbo with nearly as white rear lights, I'm confident I could get those lights back to standard with no major issues!
1992 Volvo 480 ES Limited Edition
2005 Renault Clio V6 255
1962 Land Rover Series II

jifflemon
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am
maybe I'll live with them being 'matte' , it's not even like you can take them inside and watch telly :(
well, you could take them off and take them inside (assuming you've not silicone sealed the buggers in place)

Alan 480
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:51 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:19 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am
maybe I'll live with them being 'matte' , it's not even like you can take them inside and watch telly :(
well, you could take them off and take them inside (assuming you've not silicone sealed the buggers in place)
Oli, Ok see what your plan of attack is, see how i get on

although not 'sealed in' I'm not taking any chances . . . . .

anyways I have things to do :?
get the SS1 sorted for MoT, only dragged it out from garage at week-end, O/S handbrake lever stuck, so thatis much easier to roll now. drum is clean now (hope performance will improve :wink: usually the drums just clean up by time get out of drive, not this time !! )

ironing board leg snapped off, so two mins with MiG but probably twenty mins to get everything looked out / tidied up after wards etc
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Good lord, don’t tell me you store it with the handbrake applied????

100
480 Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by 100 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 am

Sounds like you have more pressing matters than a couple of lights! Good luck.
1992 Volvo 480 ES Limited Edition
2005 Renault Clio V6 255
1962 Land Rover Series II

Alan 480
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 pm
Good lord, don’t tell me you store it with the handbrake applied????
no!!!!


usually it is up on wooden blocks as well, but the 'auto adjuster' system decide to 'not auto adjust', stayed in 'just on position'

I thought I was lucky as the clutch had not stuck this year, maybe a drier year or was a decent dry spell before went into store? or the fact that I moved the car forward with clutch pedal down and in gear to move the plate to a new location.
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

Post Reply