Rear axle restoration

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Queen Mary
480 Newbie

Rear axle restoration

Post by Queen Mary » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 am

Does anybody have advice or thoughts on whether I should have my rear axle sand blasted & powder coated or primed and painted with under seal. I have no concerns about costs but would just like the best method for preserving my dearly loved 480. I am going to replace all the bushes but am going to need a couple of lower bump stops does anyone know where I can get them from? Many thanks

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear axle restoration

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:49 pm

Huge fan of a blast and powder coat - have a look at my thread and you'll see I've already done the rear bumper bar.

I didn't think the rear axles suffered too badly from corrosion (but happy to be corrected). You could always look at getting a spare one and restoring that, transferring it across to your main car once done.

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eye of ra » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm

There were 2 different designs of bump stop one had a large lower stop and no top rubber the other had a large top rubber and a smaller lower rubber.

As jifrflemon has said the axle doesn’t have a corrosion issue however the thinner metal that holds the stops in place may not have survived as well there is a tread somewhere that explains how to repair them if you are unlucky.

This is the large bottom style.

Last edited by eye of ra on Sun May 27, 2018 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

Queen Mary
480 Newbie

Post by Queen Mary » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for that guys. Thats decided it I will have it sand blasted and powder coated. I have already bought one from eBay last summer and my project for this summer is to restore it.
Thanks for the photo, but my lower bump stops are not like this they are the smaller ones. I have one good one on the 2nd hand axle, and one good one that's still on the car. So could possible make a pair, but just thought it would be nice to replace with new if possible