Post-92 Relay Layout

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post-92 Relay Layout

Post by WRDendy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:11 am

Does anybody have any information? I've found several for pre-92 cars but none for the newer ones. My pop-up motors are doing nothing and one of the DRLs is only working in 21w mode, so I have my suspicions about it. The pop-up relay is pretty obvious and it along with the fuses seem to be fine, but I'm not sure which relay switches the DRLs.

Pop-ups are currently raised manually with the motor fuse removed until further notice! :lol:
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Re: Post-92 Relay Layout

Post by brinkie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:42 am

I did some research a while ago, unfortunately my comments are in Dutch and the original file has been lost, so I only have the screenshot.

Translated (I am assuming post-1992 cars so I will skip the info about previous model years)
A. Headlight relay (the one that switches the bulb, not the motors)
B. Ignition key switch relay 75
C. Ignition key switch relay 15
D. Auxiliary water pump relay (B18FT only)
E. None (moved to the blower)
F. Headlight pop-up motor double relay
G. Rear fog lights change over relay
H. Front fog lights relay
J. ABS pump relay
K. ABS system relay
L. (deleted in 1992 cars I guess) Lamp defect unit

Some relays, especially those switching the fog lights, differ in GB. But as far as I know, the DRL's are not switched through a dedicated relay, they are powered with one of the ignition relays. I think you have either a problem in the DRL socket (do you have three-pin sockets, and do you have proper BAZ15d 21/4W bulbs fitted?) or an earthing problem. Good luck :)
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks - I'll save that diagram in my 480 folder for future reference.

I think I can rule out an earthing problem since they both work in bright mode (headlights down and off), but only one works in dim mode with the headlights on, so if there was no earth I wouldn't expect it to work at all. If I switch the bulb holder it works fine in both modes on the other side of the car, so the problem may be the socket behind that, which I will be poking with a multimeter shortly. The funny thing is it is only the passenger side that has problems.

Both sides are brand new 21/4W bulbs, and both work correctly in the working side of the car.

Next thing will be to try my spare CEM and see if that makes a difference.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:22 am

CEM doesn't do anything with the popups nor the DRLs. There is only a signal to the CEM that the light switch is on, the logic is
IF lights = on AND ignition = off AND door = open THEN "Beep! Beep! Beep!" :lol:
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum