SRS system fault(?) Plus a couple of dead bulbs...

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

89of480
Knows where Volvo is from

SRS system fault(?) Plus a couple of dead bulbs...

Post by 89of480 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi there,

I've had a read through the threads before on this, but one of the main problems with my celebration is the SRS dash light is up. I know the car was standing for 6 years before I bought it and drove it home :shock: and the guy did take off the battery and charge it up and put it back on, so I am assuming one possible cause for the light to be on is the fact that the battery went completely flat on the car? I think that's the gist I got reading the threads before, should I try disconnecting the negative on the battery and leaving it for a while to see if this clears the fault?

Also, the bulb inside the ignition barrel is dead. Is it just a case of removing the cowling, or does the barrel have to come out too?

And lastly, does the gear indicator on the auto 'box have some kind of bulb or illumination? There isn't in mine (or it's dead if there's supposed to be one), and I was just wondering if there is a bulb in the centre console somewhere for it?

And as a bonus; neither of the heated seats work at all. Both of the switches light up when activated but neither seat gets any warmer whatsoever. Could it be a fuse? Or is it more likely to be one of those broken wires in the seat I've read about in other posts? :wink:

Many thanks for your help and patience in advance! :D it is greatly appreciated :D
‘95 Celebration Auto - №89 of 480 - Flame Red Metaillic
‘17 BMW M140i Shadow Edition - Black Sapphire Metallic

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: SRS system fault(?) Plus a couple of dead bulbs...

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:56 pm

bulb on ignition is only a remove the cowling job. :D

read this it will help http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=18370 :D

your heated seats wont come on until the temperature drops below a certainvalue. its too warm just now. :D

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 pm

I 'think' there was a wee battery in the SRS gubbins buried below the centre glove box.

however you can easily remove the SRS bulb , top left corner with dash board in place , only MoT 'fail' if it lights up :wink:

(at your car's vintage I don't think that there isn't a 'bulb-test' on ignition on)

for heated seats maybe the heater elements are goosed :-)

passenger one works but drivers side one is open circuit
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 pm

there is no battery in srs circuitry , just remove the bulb in the dash. the car is so old very few mechanics /mot testers know about the 480 anyway.

If you are still worried then the first thing I would check is the connector (small green one in steering column) but before that disconnect battery for 30 mins just to be safe.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 am

JIm

I only meant that there is NO requirement within the MoT for the light to be 'on' and then 'off', only that it does not illuminate :eek:
(for the ABS then it MUST come on, then go off . . . . . not sure why they are not treated in the same way? )

view section 5.4 of this link:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hicles.pdf
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

89of480

Post by 89of480 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:34 pm

glasgowjim wrote:bulb on ignition is only a remove the cowling job. :D

read this it will help http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=18370 :D

your heated seats wont come on until the temperature drops below a certainvalue. its too warm just now. :D
Thanks for the help, Jim! The guide was excellent and worked a treat. :D I had just enough juice in the battery to confirm that the ignition now lights up nicely, but sadly there wasn't any more juice in it.

Taking the steering wheel off for the bulb was also a 2 bird one stone job as having played with the aforementioned airbag connector, hopefully the fault will be gone but we shall see. I did try to locate the CEM module behind the trim by the bonnet pull, but to no avail :(

I will test out the passenger heated seat once it gets colder (was it 14°C it said in the manual?), but I'm a little less optimistic about the drivers seat after finding one of 2 white wires causally hanging down with a knot tied in it. I will post some pictures soon.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning her out inside and out, she looks so much better! I can't wait to get her back on the road again! :hopping:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 pm

cem is above and in front of bonnet pull.

89of480

Post by 89of480 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:55 am

glasgowjim wrote:cem is above and in front of bonnet pull.
Thanks Jim :D

I think someone has had it away though as its sadly not there :(

And after putting a charged battery on, the SRS light is still on, I shall have a final look under the centre console, if not then
I shall take the dash bulb out :wink: