New MOT regulations

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

New MOT regulations

Post by eye of ra » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Not sure if general would be a better place for this but as my problem is steering based and not new general MOT regs thought here might be better.

Just been looking up the new MOT regs as heard a warning light on dash is going to be a failure, bit of scare mongering going on from some ads I've heard as it’s not all warning lights, washer bottle low is not one of them so OK there.

My 1989 model doesn't have a lot of the later gismos that are included so future looks OK in that area but found steering lock not working is a new failure.

And yes mine doesn't work. Anyone know what it’s likely to be? Is it an easy fix? Any advice would be great.

Edit - there is the chance at that age it never had one, but can't see it.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: New MOT regulations

Post by doingitsideways » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 pm

No, it would have had one.

Chances are that the locking pin is just stuck, try spraying a bit of wd40 into the ignition and work the lock a bit, the barrel should move slightly outward when withdrawing the key, this is the mechanism moving into place.

This is presuming the car's never been nicked and had it's lock snapped, but that would be apparent by a crunching noise when turning the wheel.

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:19 am

Remove your steering column plastic shrouding and remove your ignition lock barrel and spray wd and described by the previous post and try again. If worst comes to it you can easily replace a steering column if necessary.

If you want to know how to remove ignition barrel go to the how to section as the procedure is all there including pictures.

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks for the advice, I will have a look today if I get time.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Got time today after having to get a new socket for the steering wheel nut. Amazing what gets lost after 10 years of a company car and a divorce. :)

Got a great bargain at Halfords in the clearance bucket on sockets, picked up most sizes from 21mm to 30mm and a T50 for when it comes to removing seats for 50p each, normally around £5 each (had other sizes but didn't need them).

Great how to manual only took a few minutes to get off what I needed to get the key barrel out. Didn't need to remove indicator/wiper stalks.

The steering lock itself works but no amount of WD40 in the key barrel has got it working smoothly, either steering lock doesn't come on or if it does it’s a bitch to get the key to turn. Need to get a new one a bit sharpish before it seizes completely, don’t want to have to drill it off.

On an upside the steering wheel is now straight, which is something that has been bugging me since I bought her. :hopping:

Thanks again for the advice.

EoR
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm

New key barrel ordered, coming tomorrow.

That should be that sorted, then on to the next.

Thanks for help.

EoR
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Got new lock but not had time to swop it over till today.
glasgowjim wrote:
As a matter of interest...

Each lock barrel has 6 tumblers/latches , 3 on each side and each one has a number engraved on it 1/2/3/4 it is just a matter of swopping latches to get the correct combination if you have to rebuild one.
glasgowjim wrote: The ignition lock barrel can not be altered to take another key but it is easy to change over the complete barrel.

all other locks can be set to different combinations.
At some point I would like to make all the other locks match the new key so before I fit the new lock how can I find out what the new combination is? There are no markings on the new barrel. Do you have to take it apart or can you work it out from the key?

EoR
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 pm

eye of ra wrote:Got new lock but not had time to swop it over till today.

There are no markings on the new barrel. Do you have to take it apart or can you work it out from the key?
You could probably work it out from the key, but would have to take the barrel apart to sort things out. There are a series of ''shims'' (for want of a better word) I believe.

The chap from Glasgow will be able to give a better description, if you search his posts I believe he answered something similar some time ago! (1.5 to 2years??)
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:35 am

I did find a couple of post from a few years ago, that’s where I found out that you can change the other locks combination to match the ignition lock and where I got the quotes from.

However it doesn’t say how you can tell what the ignition lock combination is in the first place, just that you can’t change that lock.

I could have missed a post though, will have another look.
Lock now in, works a treat, no more fiddling to turn the key and the steering lock works. :hopping:

EoR
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 am

Someone called ? :lol:

I have not posted up that piece of info and even if I knew its not something you put up on an open forum ;)

Contact the dealer you got the lock barrell from they should be able to give you the combination .

If not this is what you have to do .

1 remove the plastic cover from the back of the lock thats the one with the red slider at the top of the door card.

2 put old key in lock then remove the spring clip and push pul the lock barrell out .

3 slowly and carefully remove the old key .

4 Critical note draw the outline of lock and note down the numbers and position of each little brass lug. To remove these gently pull the lug out be careful as there is a tiny brass spring underneath each one.
I strongly suggest that you put all the lugs back in position then...

put your new key into the door lock barrelland note what lugs fully retract then by a process of elimination starting from the outermost non retracted lug replace with another number (they are numbered 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 ) . repeat for all the remaining lugs . Now write down the combination as its same across all the locks.

5 Chamge the other lock lugs over to the new combination.

Be aware that through time some lugs / springs wear out and it may be that to get a lock to work you have to put a different numbered lug in one of the barrels . It really is a suck it and see process but doesnt take too long to do if you are organised and methodical. oh and dont drop / lose any little bits.

I can supply a spare everything for this , can send down a packet of lugs and springs (no great weight) you use what need and then post the unused back up provided that you can do this within a 2 week timeframe as other members at a later date may need the same sort of support.

estimated cost : post down £2.50 retrun postage £2.50 cost of parts used £5 (regardless of how many lugs used) this is really the only way to do . And if you post up the lugs you removed as well as the used parts then forget the £5 cost for parts :wink:

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for the info, now know what to do when I get time, and the offer which I will take up at some point but as mentioned not something I need to deal with immediately, can deal with 2 keys at the moment, other things need dealing with first.

EoR
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015