Strange vibration from wheels... i think

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Sirius
480 Newbie

Strange vibration from wheels... i think

Post by Sirius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi, on my 480 T i have non standard wheels, in stead i have a set of bbs on 15.
on those are not fitted center rings. the center hole is bigger than the hub ring. adn the rim is centered only in the bolts.

when i am cruising at around 50- 60 kph i feel a strange vibration on the hole front of the car, the steering wheel does not vibrate. could this be the problem with the wheels?

thank you

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Strange vibration from wheels... i think

Post by Ade » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi,
I trust that the wheels have been balanced properly and are not damaged? Assuming that the balance is good and there are no deformations in the rim then being bolted on off centre will undoubtedly cause some sort of vibration. Do you have bolts with a tapered shank or are they the flat type. If they are tapered then they should pull the wheel concentric with the bolt hole P.C.D. when tightened therefore negating the requirement for spigot rings, if they are the flat type with a washer then spigot rings are a must to ensure concentricity between hub and wheel. To be honest i'd fit the rings in either case just to be on the safe side. You may be able to check whether the wheel is running true to the hub (roughly, unless you have access to a plunger clock, in which case you can check it accurately) by jacking the car up until the wheel **JUST** clears the ground (i'm talking a nat's bollock) and spin it by hand keeping an eye on the gap between the tyre and the ground, given a very small clearance the human eye can be quite acute and you may well detect some runout visually. The gap should remain constant with probably no more than 0.5mm deviation, any more than this and it's probably safe to assume that the source of your vibration is a lack of concentricity between wheel and hub, in other words, go buy some spigot rings! ;)

If you are in the UK and send me dimensions I could machine some up for you in a material of your choice and send them out to you for a reasonable price ;)

Have you tried the car on it's standard wheels just to make sure it's nothing else (though i wouldn't have thought it would be)??

If runout is not the cause of the issue then post back and i'll have another think.

Best regards and good luck!!

Ade
O.C. 480 D.

Sirius
480 Newbie

Re: Strange vibration from wheels... i think

Post by Sirius » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:51 pm

I`m not from uk, im from roumania.
i will try rebalancing the wheels. i jacked the car up, and turned the wheel, and the tyre is "straight", if you understand.
a noticed that there is a little play on the bushes at the right side swing arm.

at the moment im busy with another car that i have, i wiil keep you posted with this problem.
thanks