mini subwoofers - underseat type

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

mini subwoofers - underseat type

Post by timrosser » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi there,

I'm thinking about a mini 'powered' subwoofer (no separate amp) to stick under a front seat- my Sony head unit has a 'sub out' socet. Is it really as simple as plugging a cable from one to the other or do I need to do some clever things with the electrics!

Tim

yopman
480 Newbie

Re: mini subwoofers - underseat type

Post by yopman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 am

Tim,

Last year I got my 480's sound system upgraded, Infinity spears to replace the stock door speakers & a pioneer sub that fits nicely under the drivers seat (TS-WX11A). A definite improvement.

If you want advice on installation of the sub, then send me a message & I'll give you the name & number of the sparky who installed it all for me.

Cheers,

Richard M Wade Esq.

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Yep sure that would be great, Ive put pioneers in my doors & I love them so it would be nice to have all the bits from the same family ;-)

I would love to know a trusty sparky - I'm in Blackpool tho, where are you?

Best

Tim

yopman
480 Newbie

Post by yopman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 pm

London, although I go to Cambridge to get the trusty Volvo 480 looked after !

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Hmm, well I dont have any plans to head that way until 2013- but a good contact is always worth having- how much did it cost to install by the way?

yopman
480 Newbie

Post by yopman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:29 am

Hi,

When I got the car 10 years ago, it came with a Pioneer DEH-2030R CD/Radio which has always worked perfectly & I still use to this day, unfortunately the speakers grew to sound terrible, so at the recomendation of a friend I contacted Steve on 07787407521 (he has his own proper business for car installation of stereo's, hand's free phone kit, sat nav, alarms, etc) Who promtly checked out my set-up & advised the cones on the speakers had completely worn through!, So I advised him I wanted him to sort it out & upgrade where appropriate, but to ensure none of the stereo was "on show" (to ensure the car did not warrant excess attention from the potential car thief pool of central London). I think it was about £380 all in, 4 door speakers, sub, wiring, fuse, earthing, installation etc. Furthermore he had to extensively enlarge the car body speaker cavities to allow for the speakers, along with using acoustic cloth to hide the speakers behind the stock grilles. Then once installed he had to carry out some extensive acoustic dampening to stop the car extensively creaking whenever you turned it up! He's a top dude who comes with my recomendation.

Cheers. Richard M Wade Esq.

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm

Ohh thanks for that Yopman, I'm prob going to just invest in a sub as I'm very happy with my pioneers which have replaced the warbling Volvo originals, One more thought- I wonder if you could run the sub on the heated seat electrics- I hardly ever use the heated seat & it would involve much less wiring. I have added your little pioneer to my ebay searches.

Thanks again

yopman
480 Newbie

Post by yopman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:57 am

Yo,

I have no idea whether you could make that work. If I remember correctly the dude who installed mine added some extra wiring & a fuse to the fuse box to give it it's own dedicated supply.

Cheers,

Richard M Wade Esq.