removing front tweeters

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ladyforatey
480 Newbie

removing front tweeters

Post by ladyforatey » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Hello all,

During the January sale season I treated me and Baby to a new headunit and a new set of speakers for both the front and the back.

Have had merry fun taking the passeger door apart today and have succeeded in getting the bottom speaker out (and nearly the new one in) - However, I can't see how to remove the original tweeter. I got the plastic cover bit mostly off but its all connected to the tweeter itself, and I don't see how to remove it other than taking the whole door handle out - sure there is an alternative to this?

Any advice or previous experience welcomed!

kev
480 Rookie

Post by kev » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Hi there If I remember, there is a small screw at the back of the tweeter that holds it to the rear of the handle assy.

Why do you want to remove the tweeter ? You can disconnect the tweeters if you don't want to use them.
Do your speakers have the tweeter built in ? If so just wire that speaker up .Too many tweeters will confuse the sound.
[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/aelhead/480-1.jpg[/img]

missterdave
480 Newbie

Post by missterdave » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:39 pm

I agree with Kev.. to be honest, separate tweeters are a bit of a con with factory fitted systems. It's a complicated way of enhancing sound which shouldn't be attempted by people who make engines and doors. If you get a kit with separate woofers and tweeters you'll also have cross over boxes which usually have very few options for modelling the sound.. this is the best case scenario. Hopefully you've sorted it now and it's sounding nice!

Usually, the best thing to do is get rid of the tweeters, have a clean connection from head or amp to the replacement speakers, and because our speaker pockets are for elliptical cones, get a good make with some strength in them! This is another annoying mistake manufacturers make.. obviously they use awful materials, but if they used round cones they'd be inherently stronger for the same cost.
Green 2.0 GT - now sold

Cerberus
480 Expert

Post by Cerberus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:51 pm

This is what I did....

Probably not acoustically correct and all that.. but.. meh..

Sounds ok to my tone deaf earoles...

C
[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/Cerberus74/DC_SIG_GHETTO.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9446]My digital-car.co.uk Install Thread[/url]

ladyforatey
480 Newbie

Post by ladyforatey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 pm

Impressive build there Cerberus! Which also makes me note that I don't have any crossover boxes - my cheapy speakers or just the design?

The speakers I bought for the front are Alpine SXE-1350S - which are indeed component speakers with separate tweeters. I have to say my idea to replace the tweeter amounted less from acoustic ideals and more from the fact that leaving a grill which didn't do anything would get on my nerves...

What with working all day and it being dark all night I have to say that no progress has yet been made - I'm still driving her around with the bones of passenger door there. I have a proper go this weekend but had a quick look and can't see any screws..?

I do quite like the fact I can see my window going down inside the door though.. simple things...! :D

kev
480 Rookie

Post by kev » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:40 pm

You can remove the volvo tweeters and put your new ones in their place

You will have to to a little cutting to recess it in flush .

You will have to remove your handle though. It isn't too hard just a bit fiddly.

ladyforatey
480 Newbie

Post by ladyforatey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Did you get the original grills back over those Kev? That's what I'm hoping to do...

Incidentally I'm in notts too - I'll wink if I see you out and about!

kev
480 Rookie

Post by kev » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Yes I did get the grills back on .If you need help in
Removing your handle let me know.

ladyforatey
480 Newbie

Post by ladyforatey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:49 pm

I have actually removed the screws that hold the handle in and it didn't budge. I only took out the screws at either end. Are there others or is the handle glued in?

kev
480 Rookie

Post by kev » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi once you remove the two screws the ends will pull out using a flat screw driver.

Then you have to push the bottom flap up from inside the door skin.The flap looks like
a slit where you put your fingers in to open the door.

You should now be able to tilt the handle towards you.

Do this then pull the whole thing down and it should come out.

It will still be connected to the lock pull rod and can be removed with a twist.

Hope this helps.

ladyforatey
480 Newbie

Post by ladyforatey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 pm

Success!

Have now swapped the old tweeters out for the new ones. The doors are all ready to be put back together and I've got a cup of tea :D

Thank you for the guide kev, I actually managed it with some of my dad's help but it was exactly as you said, so thanks anyway.

I also can't quite believe how easy the back ones were compared to the front. Have also discovered that something somewhere is connected wrongly as the back left speaker thinks its the back right according to the fade and balance on my headunit. Annoying but I'm hoping I won't notice it as not sure I can get the headunit out again!

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: removing front tweeters

Post by timrosser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 pm

How big is the front door handle tweeter? Would a standard 13cm component system tweeter fit flush & like the standard volvo one?

T