Super Rich Mod

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

AKC
480 Newbie

Super Rich Mod

Post by AKC » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi all, does the super rich mod increase RPM limiter???

Cheers
R5 GTT 480 Engine

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Pretty sure it doesn't.

Theres no power up there anyway, with a T2 at least.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Christophano
480 Newbie

Post by Christophano » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Having one myself I can confirm it doesnt. :D

AKC
480 Newbie

Post by AKC » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi thanks guys for yours replays, I have a friend that has a Renault 5 with volvo engine th same as me but with a bigger turbo and injectors, but the turbo spools only after 4800 rpm, so he has a big problem bacause RPM limiter is set about 6400 rpm or less so he only has about 1500 rpm of power Lol... his car is now about 240hp but he only have 1500rpm of power, I think the Better solution it´s gonna be a Megasquirt if Rich can´t rise up the rpm limiter.
Cheers
R5 GTT 480 Engine

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:25 pm

eep. Thats no good.

I think you might end up squirting it, i don't remember mention of anyone bypassing the limiter.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Christophano
480 Newbie

Post by Christophano » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Blimey........That sounds weird!!!
What sorta map has it got?

My Super dooper rich mod gives full boost at 3k rpm which I think is perfect for my cars setup..... I presume the other rich mods have full boost at that time.

I would try a rich modded ECU on it before spending out millions of pounds on Megasquit :D

yknot
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by yknot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:58 am

AKC wrote:Hi thanks guys for yours replays, I have a friend that has a Renault 5 with volvo engine th same as me but with a bigger turbo and injectors, but the turbo spools only after 4800 rpm, so he has a big problem bacause RPM limiter is set about 6400 rpm or less so he only has about 1500 rpm of power Lol... his car is now about 240hp but he only have 1500rpm of power, I think the Better solution it´s gonna be a Megasquirt if Rich can´t rise up the rpm limiter.
Cheers
i think the turbo too big for the engine, or the A/R is inapropriate, maybe a hibryd turbo with correct turbine/compressor wheel match is your answer.
volvo 480turbo 1990 RICHMODED, adjustable FPR, SSQV BOV, free flow exhaust. - sold
1.6 16v Suzuki Samurai with many mods.
Nissan Note DCi

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:56 pm

yknot wrote: i think the turbo too big for the engine, or the A/R is inapropriate, maybe a hibryd turbo with correct turbine/compressor wheel match is your answer.
Agreed, the turbo is completly wrong for the engine.

To up the RPM limit, you need to do lots of stuff....

Cams, the standard cam won't be any good at higher RPM.

Pistons / Con rods / crank etc... You will need to up the strength of most of those, the standard parts won't take much over 7k rpm, the engine will fly to bits.

Alternator, watepump, and cam idler/tensioner may well not like the increase in pace much either. The bearings in all of them may well overheat, melt the grease and seize (either from temperature, or loss of lubrication)

Valve springs will need to be changed, so as to prevent bounce etc.

Maybe other stuff would die also, say the oil pump bypass is too small, since the oil flow increases with rpm, you are trying to force too much oil through a small hole, something will go twang (I don't know about this, it's just a possible problem that *may* occur)

It would be interesting to try it, but there will be problems. Be prepared for a steep and expensive learning curve.

Easier to get a turbo that matches the engine.

If it's any help, a Garrett GT2860RS is more or less what you are looking for.

Of course if you insist on having a massive turbo, so as to get more boost (Mine would do 3 bar), then you could always fit a supercharger to get things going at the low end, with more air and exhaust gas, then the turbo will get going much sooner as well. Still easier than getting the engine to rev to 8k rpm.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

MrE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by MrE » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:41 pm

:rofl: You just can't help yourself Rich.... If us fitting a supercharger to your own car took a year and half, now your trying to trick someone else into the madness. Still was insane.....for a while! :lol:
1993 Es, turbo conversion. First ceramic coated engine running sweet. Sold! :( miss her
www.teamvolvo.co.uk

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:22 pm

MrE wrote::rofl: You just can't help yourself Rich.... If us fitting a supercharger to your own car took a year and half, now your trying to trick someone else into the madness. Still was insane.....for a while! :lol:
It wasn't just the supercharging, it was the whole ceramic coating the entire combustion chamber, and the rest of it.

The supercharging part was fairly quick as it goes... 3 months or so?

There is an advert for taking time over this stuff. It all worked just about out of the box. There where a few tweaks needed to get the belt tensioner right, but not anything major.

The engine is still there, maybe when I work up the nerve to get another 480, I'll have another go.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6