Crankcase breather is sending lots of oil into turbo help!

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:26 am

Well from what I understand, when the car is idling with negative boost / vacuum in the manifold, the valve will be open to the inlet side only, so venting from the crankcase, to the manifold. Under boost it vents through the turbo.

So i guess you should be able to suck the manifold side but wouldn't be able to blow through it. Blowing through the manifold side should close the valve and allow gas to flow from the crankcase to the turbo side.

I cant think of an easy / safe way to test it.

pol

rpruen
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by rpruen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:32 am

I think you mean the pulsaion damper in the actual fom filled part? You can test it by seeing if there is oil leaking. If the diapram breaks oil will run down the fron of the engine... I suspect it isn't broken.

The little one way valve dies and forces air from the manifold into the breather, that can more oil about, as well as pop the oil seals on the engine.

My guess would be if the oil is going Via the breather to the turbo, that the seperator is blocked (if the engine is ok). The metal part is pressed into the engine, and getting it out is hard (without killing it) unless you use a slide hammer.

Chances are it's full of gunk, and isn't seperating the oil from the blowby gasses. Cleaning it would help if that is the problem.

Temp test to find out would be to remove the pipe from the turbo (be sure to plug it off so unmetered air isn't sucked in). Direct the end of the pipe into a cotainer, and drive for a bit, that will give an idea of how much oil is going out that pipe.

Headgasket failure (to an oilway) can cause massive blowby, and oil loss, and may not show up on a compression test (yet, it will when worse).

Hope that helps

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:28 am

eEm wrote:
The worst one is formed when rubber components degrade and get burnt, can't remember the name of it but its an acid and it will react with certain chemicals in your skin and continually eat away at you, cause cancers etc until you get it removed. Usually involves amputation from what I understand. Firemen used to get it the worst because they have to extinguish burning cars.
The acid is hydrofluoric acid, formed when fluorine containing compounds, as used in many oil seals, are heated above about 600 deg. It penetrates the skin easily, with little initial pain (that comes later) & attacks the bone. As you say, this can lead to amputation. Treatment is calcium gluconate gel liberally & quickly applied.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

Mr Greedy
480 Newbie

Post by Mr Greedy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:13 am

The fluoring replaces the calcium in your bones, causing you bones to swell and become a weak, jelly-like substance if you get enough of it. Obviously, they stop being bones then and you have floppy arms/fingers etc. Mind you, I am sure you would need quite a reasonable dose of HF for this to occur. The calcium gel is used to allow the fluorine to react with calcium on the outside/near-surface body tissue, rather than with the calcium in your bones.

Nice :shock: