windows xp profesional ? HELP

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

allthingsvolvo
Started learning about 480

windows xp profesional ? HELP

Post by allthingsvolvo » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:46 pm

Running windows xp profesional & i seem to have picked up some sort of virus from the internet

The system will work for 5 to 10 mins then the system will freeze & the programme will not respond - its taken me 3 attempts to post this !

please some one advise

Thanks.
p.s have run a virus check:
Win32/Bagle Not Infected.
Win32/Berbew Not Infected.
Win32/Bropia Not Infected.
Win32/Doomjuice Not Infected.
Win32/Gaobot Not Infected.
Win32/Goweh Not Infected.
Win32/Korgo Not Infected.
Win32/Msblast Not Infected.
Win32/Mydoom Not Infected.
Win32/Nachi Not Infected.
Win32/Netsky Not Infected.
Win32/Randex Not Infected.
Win32/Sasser Not Infected.
Win32/Sober Not Infected.
Win32/Sobig Not Infected.
Win32/Zafi Not Infected.
Win32/Zindos Not Infected.
but the damn thing is still kicking me out after 5/10 mins, if i try & put an emoticon onto this post it will freeze instantly ! any ideas ? please ?

iammart
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by iammart » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:37 pm

Hi there...
If you suspect a virus try going here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and running a full remote scan... can pick up stuff your own scanner can't.

Have u checked the event logs? Control panel - Administrative tools - Event Viewer ... probably! May tell u if anything crashed... Or check for Spyware?

U have a firewall too don't you?

Cheers,
Martin
-----------------------------------------
· '94 480 Turbo Auto ~ Paris Blue
· '71 Triumph GT6 Mk3
· Deep pockets :lol:

allthingsvolvo

Post by allthingsvolvo » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:50 pm

Martin yep runing AVG & kaspersky anti hacker used AVG on windows 98 for 3 years with no probs, still the minute i try to add Emoticons or try trend micro site the system freezes !!!

Event viewer shows all application hangs as only happening today
system error shows Isermous This shows up on the 8th / 11th
searched internet & cant seem to find what this is ?

Kaspersky lists every site visited & kids have not been on anything out of the norm ? on yahoo messenger ? security setting is medium.

so im confused ?

any ideas
Certainly there are things in life money can't buy,

but its funny -

Did you ever trying buying them without money ?

ambrozie
480 Newbie

Post by ambrozie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:52 am

first and very important install SP2 and activate firewall
after microsoft antispyware is in beta now but is very nice
after symantec antivirus not norton antivirus
Volvo 480 ES 1.7i 1988 Graphite grey metallic sold :(

allthingsvolvo

Post by allthingsvolvo » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:17 am

Thanks 4 the info,
:eek:

Ok installed microsoft anti spyware & it found this:
Mirar
Type: Toolbar
Threat Level: High
Author: Net-Nucleus

Description: Mirar is adware that monitors your Web browsing activity. It sends information to its home server and displays targeted advertising.

Advice: High-risk items have a large potential for adverse effect, such as loss of computer control, and should be removed unless knowingly installed.

About Toolbar: An Internet Explorer toolbar is a plug-in to Internet Explorer that installs a toolbar within the web browser. Many legitimate toolbars provide various convenient search features, however, many toolbars also include adware and spyware functionality used to track searching behavior and modify the search results to point to an alternative search engine. ;)
Thanks

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:40 am

That is just an IE hijack and it's annoyig but doubt it'll cause the problems u are talking about. I dot like SP2. Its wank. And the firewall that comes with it is shit too. I find there's lots of MS stuff that wants to play with my connection.

I stick with SP1 and it seems better.

Do u get the blue screen before it shuts you down??

pol

Gimle
480 Connoisseur

Post by Gimle » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:09 am

NOOOOO!!!!! Don't install SP2.... If you do, you may have to get patches for some of your programms... And some programms don't have patches or won't work at all... :angry:

Just install a firewall and anti-virus software...

BTW Does your screen freeze? Or does you pc reboot?
Greetz,
Gimle

1994, Volvo 480 2.0 ES 2002 - 2005
2001, Opel Vectra 2.2dti 2003 - 2007 R.I.P.
1998, Renault Mégane Coupé 1.6e 2007 -

ambrozie
480 Newbie

Post by ambrozie » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:39 am

i dont recomand to use windows xp without sp2 on internet. From my experience if you have a win without sp2 or sp1 only with or without firewall or antivirus you dont have any chance to have a clean OS if you use internet.

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Are you running behind a firewall?

If not you need a personal firewall like zonelarms.

Also go to microsoft update and update with all patches except SP2, especially the IE ones.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

ambrozie
480 Newbie

Post by ambrozie » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:03 pm

you can't compare a firewall computer with a workstation with firewall, technical is diferent and is incomparable.
I dont like SP2 but a i need sp2 and you too ...
I am a security consultant and use for ordinary jobs linux, but for my clinets recomand to use sp2. I dont want to transform this topic in a " sp2 vs sp1" you can find this informantion on internet, is very complex and technic and ... SP2 win ....

tobi480turbo
480 Veteran

Post by tobi480turbo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi,

sometimes I can´t understand why all the people are using winXP when I see what kind of problems there are the whole time .. just take a look at the SP2 discussions everywhere arround the net.
I´m quite happy with win2000 SP4 + updates and surely not going to change to XP until there´s good support and everything is available for win2k ... I´ve just seen too much sh** going on at PCs running XP and often the last way out out was a complete new installation so that I don´t need to have this problems again at home ;)

But at last it´s everybodys own desicion what he likes most or wants for his daily usage.

just my opinion,

regards

Tobi
red 480 turbo ´91, B20F(T) engine, NGK BPR 7ES sparks, increased MAF, injectors from a 760, cold air intake ,koni springs, Momo sport steering wheel, leather seats, volvo 14" rims, new TB25 turbocharger installed :)

ICFM
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ICFM » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:16 pm

First. Be very careful using ZoneAlarm with XP, it causes all sorts of odd problems. Some programmes won't install or run.

Second. With XP the ms firewall is turned on by default. If you try running ZA concurrently expect it to go very pear-shaped very rapidly.

I am currently running with XP pro sp1 and ZA and AVG. You have to disable ZA if you want to install anything, and remember to turn it back on after.

Finally, 'cos I've got a SiS730s chipset motherboard and nVidia GeForce I'm totally buggered and not at all twitter and bisted!
H reg 480 Turbo 135,000 miles - just run in really

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum viditur

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:21 pm

Xp SP1 + firefox

* Occasional housecall scan
* Weekly adaware SE scan
* Weekly 'hijack this' scan

All you need in my opinion.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:20 pm

ambrozie wrote:you can't compare a firewall computer with a workstation with firewall, technical is diferent and is incomparable.
I dont like SP2 but a i need sp2 and you too ...
I am a security consultant and use for ordinary jobs linux, but for my clinets recomand to use sp2. I dont want to transform this topic in a " sp2 vs sp1" you can find this informantion on internet, is very complex and technic and ... SP2 win ....
And? I do I.T support and support companies network and desktops, we've regressed SP2 as the security features do not outway the compatibility issues at present.

The same applied to SP1 when it first came out, give it a while after microsoft have finished using customers as Beta Testers then it will be more stable
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:22 pm

ambrozie wrote:i dont recomand to use windows xp without sp2 on internet. From my experience if you have a win without sp2 or sp1 only with or without firewall or antivirus you dont have any chance to have a clean OS if you use internet.
Been happily running without a virus in 4 years, and i haven't upgraded to SP2, running XP with SP1, firewall and all necessary virus protection.

I will not jump because microsoft say so :lol:

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:26 pm

ICFM wrote:First. Be very careful using ZoneAlarm with XP, it causes all sorts of odd problems. Some programmes won't install or run.

Second. With XP the ms firewall is turned on by default. If you try running ZA concurrently expect it to go very pear-shaped very rapidly.

I am currently running with XP pro sp1 and ZA and AVG. You have to disable ZA if you want to install anything, and remember to turn it back on after.

Finally, 'cos I've got a SiS730s chipset motherboard and nVidia GeForce I'm totally buggered and not at all twitter and bisted!
I know, there was an FBI warning over msofts firewall, it's turned off.

I have Avg and ZA and have no issues, i love ZA but you need to know how to configure ZA correctly, it's not for the everyday users as the probably just open it up with all ports to get things working.

ICFM

Post by ICFM » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:56 pm

Jamo

I agree ZA is pretty good. I just wish I knew how to configure it properly for me :wink:

Iain
H reg 480 Turbo 135,000 miles - just run in really

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Gimle
480 Connoisseur

Post by Gimle » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:12 am

I agree, SP2 is bugger... I'm glad we didn't go to SP2, else I would have many overhours making our software work...
Greetz,
Gimle

1994, Volvo 480 2.0 ES 2002 - 2005
2001, Opel Vectra 2.2dti 2003 - 2007 R.I.P.
1998, Renault Mégane Coupé 1.6e 2007 -

Turnipman

Post by Turnipman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:56 am

Ok for home use you need to have a four pronged attack virus scanner, firewall, spyware scanner and firefox.

AVG free edition will do the job fine but remeber is only as good as its last update. It often a wise idea to cross reference your virus scanning with a different tool. I suggest F-secure it is easily the best out let it be known. Stay away from norton and mcafee or what ever its called.

Zone alarm pro is awsome but the free edition is good, never had any problems using it. You just got to set it up correctly.

Something free like adaware 6 or Giant lots out there.

Firefox is a must it rules the world as far as i can see, IE6 is shite. Microsft have had to develop a new sp for it, they were not going to do so before longhorn, but cos its shit they have to waaaa for them.

Also suggest Wincleaner its a computer house maid. Or somekind of registry cleaner be very carefull though. When you delete viruses they leave shit in the registry so if you clean it of unused items the viruses sometimes find it hard to get back.

Just one man's informed opinion

Turnipman
:kill:

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:28 pm

I do use, spybot and spyblaster ontop, there's another firewall software that's alot easier to use then ZA, i'll post what it's called when i get home as i can't remember off the top of my head.

Firefox is good, i prefer opera over firefox though, personal choice, i think opera is quicker and i like the functions on it.