Number Plates

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Number Plates

Post by edie_fox » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:28 pm

Just as I thought looking for 1980s local bus images for a friend for Christmas was as satchel carrying as I got, I happened upon this nice list of number plate reference.

I know many of you will be fully aware of all these but I didn't know the last two letters on a prefix plate were it's area of origin as the two letters on the new style are now. Nice to nosey at my old cars' birthplaces anyway. ;) I do love a good list of information!

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: Number Plates

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing 😀
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:04 pm

Indeed, and for those of us old enough to remember (and even owned: just one, my Cortina MkV which was my first car) it was the same with the previous suffix plates - the last two letters of the block of three gave you the place of origin :D
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm

"This is the registration system used prior to the current one and most of the vehicles on Britain's roads today display a plate of this
type." If only that were still the case...

Is it sad that I already knew a lot of this :crazy:

I am a bit of a plate geek :lol:

Really nice find, thank you for sharing!
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:24 pm

:lol: - my slightly sad confession is that I wish we were still allowed to use the pre-1974, old-style silver letters on black background plates. reckon they'd be set off nicely on Lily, my green GT...

It is, indeed, an interesting item to have found, thanks Edie!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:38 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:24 pm
:lol: - my slightly sad confession is that I wish we were still allowed to use the pre-1974, old-style silver letters on black background plates. reckon they'd be set off nicely on Lily, my green GT...

It is, indeed, an interesting item to have found, thanks Edie!

David

I personally am not a fan of those ones, really like the bright colours of the UK reflectives. That being said I adore French black pre-1994 plates, but in the UK if it is after 1974 then yellow and white are the order of the day, but oddly, I have seen a couple of modern cars with black plates, illegally, mounted, like a c.2015 VW Caravelle with a 1930s style widget plate :lol:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:53 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:28 pm
Just as I thought looking for 1980s local bus images for a friend for Christmas was as satchel carrying as I got, I happened upon this nice list of number plate reference.

I know many of you will be fully aware of all these but I didn't know the last two letters on a prefix plate were it's area of origin as the two letters on the new style are now. Nice to nosey at my old cars' birthplaces anyway. ;) I do love a good list of information!

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf
Nice web link!

I'll see your satchel carrying ways and (sadly) raise you!

When I was 7 - 8 years old, it was probably when I was most impressionable - your brain is like a sponge. Indeed, its one of the contributory factors to 480 ownership to this day. Time warp back to 1987 and riding on the bus from Sudbury to Colchester was a big event. The noise, the smell, the engine note of those trips are in my mind forever. I remember our local bus company "Chambers" bought their newest Leyland Lynx on registration E87KGV. I found myself also looking for 80's bus photos and.... lo and behold..... on eBay was a "bus spotters" old collection of negatives and photos containing E87KGV. Snapped them all up!

I'll be the first to admit, i'll struggle to remember family members birthdays - but all the bus registrations from Sudbury in 1987... all up there :rofl:

If you are searching 80's bus photos for a friend then crack on, it will mean the world to them.

In addition, if you are into registration marks and the history thereof, then you NEED this book!

Last edited by Jay-Kay-Em on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:53 pm

I'll see your satchel carrying ways and (sadly) raise you!

I found myself also looking for 80's bus photos and.... lo and behold..... on eBay was a "bus spotters" old collection of negatives and photos containing E87KGV. Snapped them all up!

I'll be the first to admit, i'll struggle to remember family members birthdays - but all the bus registrations from Sudbury in 1987... all up there :rofl:

:rofl:
Hilarious.

I bought him a bus blind with the name of his favourite 80s 'deprived' housing estate on it. So I was actually looking for a photo of one in use to go with it. I did delve quite far into that research though. There was a man who loved a particular certain local bus and he's documented the entire history...and I mean entire, he'd put us lot to shame! An entire website devoted to it. https://www.gct113.com/
I have asked him if he has a photo as I can't find one anywhere. Even with my nuclear Googling skills!

I know my dad had an old Riley with, I think, JV 600 as it's plate and that was a Grimsby plate; local. This is it on the Brocklesby estate.

So, even when I was younger I was aware of the location-ness of plates but, yes, I am interested (thanks for the book recommendation) as I love information. The more useless the better! Procrastination so I can put off degree work. :lol:

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:22 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 pm
An entire website devoted to it. https://www.gct113.com/
That website is devotion!

Busses are surprisingly easy to track on the interwebs due to the spotters out there. Same with trains I guess.

If I could find and restore E87KGV I would - but its another level concerning space; so hats off to the bus enthusiasts out there.
edie_fox wrote:
I know my dad had an old Riley with, I think, JV 600 as it's plate and that was a Grimsby plate; local. This is it on the Brocklesby estate.

So, even when I was younger I was aware of the location-ness of plates but, yes, I am interested (thanks for the book recommendation) as I love information. The more useless the better! Procrastination so I can put off degree work. :lol:
Lovely photo that. I have checked all my free-to-use apps on JV600 with no trace - but that doesn't mean that registration plate isn't correct.

There are various forms to use for registration enquiries with DVLA if you are inquisitive. Saying that, we are 6 months in and nothing as yet for my M458SFC enquiry - Covid excuses abound.
edie_fox wrote:
Procrastination so I can put off degree work.
And i'm reading this instead of moving a wheel arch 20mm lower :wink:
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars