Brexit and import duties

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Brexit and import duties

Post by brinkie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:34 am

Friendly people of the UK,

I really like your country and the friendly folks that are living in it. There are many places I still have to visit. And I am always happy to help with repair of Volvo 480 electronics.
However, if I could make a wish, I'd wish upon a slow and painful [censored - I am not going to say this in public] for all politicians that are involved in leaving the EU without a trade deal, a.k.a. no-deal Brexit. (*)
:badmood:

If they cannot agree upon a trade deal, it means it is going to be a lot more difficult to send an instrument cluster over here, otherwise I'd be paying 21% VAT and € 13 customs clearance fee. https://www.postnl.nl/en/mail-and-parce ... ance-fees/
Also, you may expect huge backlogs at the customs, as they have to deal with a lot more than they were used to, so the turnaround time may be longer.

So if you want to have an instrument cluster repaired, send it in NOW. If you are going to send it in after 31-12-2020, expect more paperwork. You have to fill in a form that it is a gift and worth less than 45 euro. I'm not sure how the exempt works the other way around but if there's no exempt, you have to pay VAT and clearance fee for the stuff you own.

(*) stupid of course, I'd better wish for unlimited supply of new Volvo 480 parts :rofl:
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Brexit and import duties

Post by MisterH » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Well we could always just do private car drops, if that were legal, they are gifts after all...
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Brexit and import duties

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:57 pm

MisterH wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:46 pm
Well we could always just do private car drops, if that were legal, they are gifts after all...
well you'll need to get your skates on before Thursday as you have to 'stay at home' after then :-)

I don't think dropping off an instrument cluster counts as 'essential travel' and I'm not allowed beyond Hadrian's Wall :hopping:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1