For the Record: The family quattro

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

For the Record: The family quattro

Post by MisterH » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm

I have mentioned several times members of our non-480 fleet, the most prominent of which has actually had very little exposure, and that is our 1986 Audi WR quattro. Talking about the 480's safety earlier reminded me that I haven't told the story on here. Luckily, I already have it typed out, so here we are:

C77 VCG was first registered on Monday 3rd of February 1986, with Testwood motors, in Totton. For a few months it was the dealer demonstrator car and the centrepiece of the dealership.
In the summer of 1986, my Grandfather, Brian Hooper, retired after many gears heading up the family owned engineering business. His pension came up better than had been expected, and as a result he decided to upgrade from his Rover SDI.
encouraged by my uncle, he went to test drive many different vehicles (exactly what cannot be remembered), but became enchanted by the quattro, so much so he bought the very demonstrator he had been driving.
Very soon after, a trip to Germany ensued, to explore Europe, but to also take the car for a shakedown on the Autobahns — which was very much enjoyed.
In the early 1990s, my grandfather unfortunately suffered a mini stroke at the wheel of the quattro in Southampton; and crashed into the forecourt of a car dealership, writing off about 5 cars and allegedly pinning a salesman behind his desk with the car. No one was seriously hurt from the incident, but the car was a write off and my grandfather's confidence was badly shaken. To help him recover, the family bought the car back off the insurance company and we had it completely rebuilt at the dealership workshop, as close to new condition as we could get it.
The car was saved, and was a regular sight parked outside the Conservative club in Romsey, as my grandfather enjoyed some games of snooker.
Towards the end of the 1990s, my grandfather's ability to drive the quattro gradually decreased, and the car also started to have issues as well, becoming more difficult to start and run.
In 1998, my grandfather passed away, after many gears of circulatory problems. The quattro was coaxed into life to take my grandmother, uncle and aunt to his funeral, with my father at the wheel.
Around the turn of the millennium, my grandmother was using the car from time to time, however after it cut out on her in the middle of Southampton, she did not use it very much at all afterwards.
At this time, my father decided to start bringing the car back up to shape. The cause of the cut-out was found to be a dodgy relay, and was subsequently fixed.
Over the gears many jobs have done on the car: The rims were resealed to stop the tires from deflating all the time; The exhaust was rusted out so a new bespoke one was made, with a slight improvement over the original; for example, and as a result, the car is now running as well as it ever has.
The original quattro is a landmark car, it has many LED-clad imitators, but continues to have an unmistakeable presence wherever it is being driven. It is the only car we have ever known where someone has stopped their car in the middle of the road, got out, and thanked us for driving it.
This example is not the best, it is not a concours car, but it is a genuine, original, one family owner 1986 Audi quattro WR.
The quattro has had a profound effect on my life, from the first memory of "the big red car" to developing my passion for cars, and understanding just how special it is, it has been one of the defining factors of my life. It is fast, comfortable, and practical, but a Ferrari is faster, a Rolls Royce is more comfortable, and a Volvo is more practical, but there is nothing that will ever be quite like a quattro

So there you have it, the car that started my love of old cars, the car that taught me that new isn't necessarily better, and old definitely doesn't mean bad. When I first met the car, I was blown away by it, my mothers' Mk3 Golf GTi 16v was fast, but had nothing on this, even if the top speed was roughly equivalent, and it didn't have a digital dash and it didn't talk to you when it thought there was a problem you needed to know about.

What cars started your passion for classic vehicles? was it your first 480? Or were you already a car enthusiast before you found the wedge, or did the wedge find you?

Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Van
480 Connoisseur

Re: For the Record: The family quattro

Post by Van » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Great story, it somehow sounds familiar, are you sure you didn't post about it before?
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Van wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:05 pm
Great story, it somehow sounds familiar, are you sure you didn't post about it before?
I have posted it on a few different sites, I have referenced the Rover and the Quattro before, but I will check

Edit: no, I have mentioned it but never given it it's own post, I intend this to be a point of reference for future mentionings, and also because I have a passion :D
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:31 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm

That is absolutely gorgeous.

I can just hear that 5 cylinder warble!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 am

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:31 pm

That is absolutely gorgeous.

I can just hear that 5 cylinder warble!
Glad I could bring a smile! It brings joy everywhere we take it, its wonderful, one could even argue that it's a socially responsible car its appeal is so universal :rofl:

There is just something about it, something so special. I can wax lyrical for hours, but instead I'll direct you here:

https://petrolblog.com/2020/08/cartunes ... en-hooper/
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:33 am

"It is the only car we have ever known where someone has stopped their car in the middle of the road, got out, and thanked us for driving it."

Would you believe that this happened to me, the very first day I've bought my 480?

An original and unmodified Audi Quattro is a rare sight and a true classic. With a story attached like this, it's worth featuring the cover story in a classic car magazine!

This was my previous classic car, a Talbot-Matra Murena 2.2 from 1981:

I've sold in 2014 after almost 14 years of ownership it for three reasons
1. unreliable mechanics with parts becoming so rare and expensive, despite driving less than 3000 km per year, a year with more than 1000 Euro spent on parts and labour was common; in the end both the engine and the gearbox needed a rebuild
2. poor ventilation which made the drive on hot summer days unbearable and on wet autumn/winter days almost impossible
3. I've changed jobs and no longer had a company car, needed a second car (next to the family estate car) which was practical enough to carry us all four if needed

The successor needed to have four seats, preferrably with aircon and most of all (because the Murena had those and the children loved it) pop-up headlamps.
My wife had driven a 440 and 460 in the past so she suggested a 480. Which is good, because if you want to maintain an old car, you need to have the support of your family. And I like the design and heritage of the car (designed and built in The Netherlands)

So that's why I drive a 480.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 am

brinkie wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:33 am
"It is the only car we have ever known where someone has stopped their car in the middle of the road, got out, and thanked us for driving it."

Would you believe that this happened to me, the very first day I've bought my 480?

An original and unmodified Audi Quattro is a rare sight and a true classic. With a story attached like this, it's worth featuring the cover story in a classic car magazine!

This was my previous classic car, a Talbot-Matra Murena 2.2 from 1981:

I've sold in 2014 after almost 14 years of ownership it for three reasons
1. unreliable mechanics with parts becoming so rare and expensive, despite driving less than 3000 km per year, a year with more than 1000 Euro spent on parts and labour was common; in the end both the engine and the gearbox needed a rebuild
2. poor ventilation which made the drive on hot summer days unbearable and on wet autumn/winter days almost impossible
3. I've changed jobs and no longer had a company car, needed a second car (next to the family estate car) which was practical enough to carry us all four if needed

The successor needed to have four seats, preferrably with aircon and most of all (because the Murena had those and the children loved it) pop-up headlamps.
My wife had driven a 440 and 460 in the past so she suggested a 480. Which is good, because if you want to maintain an old car, you need to have the support of your family. And I like the design and heritage of the car (designed and built in The Netherlands)

So that's why I drive a 480.
That Murena is lovely, always had a soft spot for those, and the Bagheera, and Matra in general!

It's odd, I chose the 480 because I had to have a classic first car, wanted something modernish to use everyday and be safe and distinctive, so it seemed to me like the only option
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:18 pm

At first I wanted a Bagheera, until I found out they were all rotten underneath. The Murena was hot dip galvanized and its chassis doesn't rust, nor will the GRP panels.
That was quite something I had to get used to, when I started with the 480s, rust. Though not as bad as 1970s cars.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:50 pm

I have very little to say except that your quattro is simply beautiful!! :D

Thanks for sharing it with us!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 am

Thank you all for your kind words, I hope I will be able to fully enjoy these vehicles for decades to come, I certainly intend to pass the quattro to my descendants, but I feel there may be a fight on our hands in the mean time to keep Internal Combustion useable, but until then I'm just going to enjoy them!
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks