1990 XM 2.1 SED for Sale -- C6 ownership imminent!

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

1990 XM 2.1 SED for Sale -- C6 ownership imminent!

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:52 pm

For Sale: 1990 Citroen XM 2.1 SED, RP 4937

For Sale Here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2180951743, ending 1900 Friday, November 4th.

I drive this car a lot, and it has (after extensive recommissioning in my two year ownership) became very reliable. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere now. In fact, it does 8 days straight to work and back (80 mile round trip) over 14 days without a hiccup.
This car has had, within the last two years:

HYDRAULICS‎ and SUSPENSION
  • 6 new spheres (4 corners, 2 centres)—corners one week old, centres just over a year;
  • LHM replaced (‎including a few thousand miles with Hydraurincage in to clean the system). Filters cleaned and brakes bled;
  • New hydraulic pipes to power steering ram‎ and new bushings in the ram;
  • Front suspension: huge overhaul (replaced both wheel bearings, short drive shaft, ‎all arm bushes, link rods, track rod ends, ball joints (inc. Dust guards), steering gaiters replaced.);
  • Rear suspension work‎‎: not as much required (replaced strut gaiter and one wheel bearing)‎-- weeps a little from driver’s side rear strut;
  • Rides smoothly and correctly now‎;
  • Could do with engine mounts being replaced to quieten it down to XM levels of refinement.
GENERAL
  • Turbo charger replaced with refurbished unit (clamp nut broke on previous one and clamp exited the engine bay—not a dramatic failure, just no boost and worn insides from misalignment);
  • Power steering assist ram bushes replaced (previous floppy arrangement cracked the pipes);‎
  • Complicated shape coolant pipe replaced (forget which one)‎;
  • New rear exhaust box and mounting to body—rest of system in great condition;
  • New wiper blades, however, windscreen washer system doesn't work and will need to be sorted for next MOT. I was going to fix it when the wings were replaced.‎ The washers worked when I got the car but with low pressure, now not working;
  • It has 24V alloys and tyres with decent amount of tread on—although budget tyres. I’d rotate them front/back and get them used up before replacing with Michelins in a year or so;
  • ABS inoperative. It is missing a front sensor. You never know, with one installed it might burst back to life. Dash bulb removed so it will pass another MOT like this. Capable of delivering scary amounts of tyre smoke should you attempt an emergency stop. Does stop straight and well though‎!
  • Relay wired into starter system so it starts 100% of the time—a common XM 2.1 problem
‎SERVICING since 2015
  • Replacement Gates cam belt, idlers, tensioner and water pump‎;
  • Replacement Gates alternator and hydraulic ‎pump belts;
  • Replacement Engine Oil and filter (now running fully synthetic Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W40. Replaced three times in my ownership (owned since 4/8/15);
  • Replacement fuel (2015) and air filters (2015 & 2016);
  • Replacement Gearbox Oil (Total BV 75W80);
  • Replacement Coolant‎ (Total Glacelf Auto Supra -37°C);
  • Replacement Hydraulic Fluid (Total LHM Plus);
  • Replacement Lucas diesel pump turbo boost pressure compensator unit‎ (diaphragm had split, a common XM 2.1 problem);
  • A thorough going over by my local mechanic who I rate very highly. As an aircraft engineer, on the tools, I have very little time for most car mechanics but this guy is fantastic‎. He has done most of the work on the car and I can put you in touch if you'd like a chat about what he's done.
BODY
  • Colour: Delage Red (maybe the only one?);
  • Tow bar fitted—never used so I can’t vouch for the electrics.‎ I would remove it, XM’s look better without;
  • Original IR key-plip works the central locking. Passenger side is the only one that works with the mechanical key. Therefore you won't get locked out but the rest will need cleaned and lubed to bring back to life. Car comes with freshly cut keys (1 x remote type, 2 x regular key type and 1 x remote space (no plip, just the key));
  • Front wings rusty where mud flaps were once mounted, but replacements provided from non-mudflap car, which have a little corrosion starting at the bottom but are an easy fix. My plan was to de-corrode, paint and fit them (see below);
  • ‎Rear wings have flat paint, as does the rear spoiler—the photos show it just after applying some wax, so expect it to look duller than this in real life! ‎
  • Has been welded on the sills by previous owner but seems solid ‎apart from rear driver’s side is a bit flappy;
  • Usual silver metal strips‎ on the side trim looking very poor. I was planning on replacing with the £50-odd stainless items from the guy from the Citroen club;
  • Passenger side front door is a little rippled as I bumped it in a car park and pushed the dent back out
‎INTERIOR
  • Correct Clarion radio fitted so that steering wheel controls can be used. Decoded and with replacement amplifier chips (yes I really did bother to do that!). All four speakers replaced, with good quality tweeters and crossovers front and back. I would add an amplifier to this system if I were keeping it. The rear tweeter installation will need finalised, as they are just tucked in;
  • Leather interior is good, if a little stiff, apart from a 3" rip on the rear seat at the top. You can't really see it apart from looking through the boot.‎ I would feed it if I were you. Driver’s seat doesn’t move much up and down, all other electric adjustments working;
  • Sunroof working only in forward and aft, not tilt. Sunroof has been out and cables lubricated—I think I didn’t put the motor in correctly and it will just need installed in a different parked position;
  • 13th window present‎;
  • All four electric windows work—replacement guides in R/H rear to get it working;
  • Air-con inoperative. I had it regassed, but it just leaked out again from the compressor;
  • ‎Dashboard lights and interior lights replaced but heater controls dim for some reason;
  • Glovebox catch broken BUT, replacement working one and strut included with the sale. ‎Very rare, I believe;
  • R/H display replaced with a new one so it now can tell the time. Temperature display flashes so requires replacement external temperature sensor or the wiring to checked to this sensor.—about £20 from the dealer.
YOU WANT A DECENT XM?
Buy this one and focus on its cosmetics: replace the wings (provided) and weld the end of the rear drivers side sill before the next MOT and give it some paint (either front and rear wings or take my painter friend up on his good offer), and replace the glovebox (provided) and you'll be pretty close. Mechanically, it’s great, however, I would replace all the engine mounts as it isn’t as quiet or refined as an XM should be. (£150 for the lot from SASIC and I will provide the part numbers, or much cheaper if buying other makes).
I had planned to have the replacement wings painted—the painter at my work has said the whole car can be done for £600 (business jet painters so they'd‎ do a good job). If you want this done before buying the car, then this can probably still be arranged at this bargain price.
I was planning to keep this car after doing all this work but a C6 (this car’s grandchild) has came up with just the specification and engine I want so I am going to move to this at the end of the month.
Wherever you live in the country, or world, this XM will take you there and will be sold full to the brim with fuel to get you home. It holds 83L and will get you 700 miles if you take it easy.
I have quite a soft spot for this car so I really, really want it to go to a good home. If it weren’t for the C6 itch needing scratched, it would be staying and I would continue working it. I am happy to spend some time with the next owner if they are new to XM’s explaining the work done and what I think should be done next to take it from a decent example to a really good one.
Not many people use their XM as a daily driver but this one is suitable to continue as such (I was shocked when I checked the MOT certificate and realised I’d done 6000 miles in it since July this year!). I’ve really enjoyed owning it.
I would recommend that you come and see it before buying it, but if you want to bid blind, I’m pretty confident that I’ve mentioned everything you should do to the car to make it great, or just continue to use it ‘as is’. I live in Cambridge, and you are welcome to come round for a Citroen chat to discuss the car if you are interested. PM me for my mobile number.

Mileage 162500
MOT July 2017‎
Viewing at Cambridge‎ (home) or Stansted (work). Possible delivery available on the route from Cambridge to Newcastle (the A1 basically) as I am due a trip home.

For Sale Here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2180951743 ending Friday, November 4th, 1900

I know you should talk a car up, not down, when selling, but I really should point out that it has just been washed, waxed and polished in these pictures. With time, the dull paint on the lower rear quarters really shows up. I was stunned how much it gleamed with elbow grease today though!!!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)