Not so happy days....

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Not so happy days....

Post by Ade » Fri May 09, 2014 8:24 am

So last night I went to change a starter motor on a mates van, Peugeot partner, nice and easy (not like the bloody 480!). Only took about 25 mins, got some beer vouchers, time to go home and enjoy said beer. I'm driving away up the A444 en route home when some prat in a ridiculously modified (diesel) golf decides to undertake me showing me how 'powerful' his silly little car is. Not having this I thought to myself as I shifted down into second and welded my foot to the floor.....

The good news is that the turbo absolutely hammered the golf however the associated bad news is that my heater matrix pipe exploded in the process :cry: leaving the golf eating not only dust but much coolant steam.

Having parked up and let it cool, I very gingerly drive the last little bit of the way home. (Bear in mind this is about 9:00pm and all I want to do is put my feet up, have a beer and go to bed! Luckily enough I had a spare piece of pipe that fits like a charm and hopefully the head gasket has survived :cry: finally got my beer and bed at about midnight.

The following morning I wake up to a penalty notice for driving in a bus lane! Can you believe it, it was one of those where the bus lane becomes the lane for left turns and I had changed lane a bit too soon and now I have to pay £60 for the privilege! Bloody city council enforcement cameras.

So yes, all in all not the greatest 24hrs. The cars fixed but the hole in my wallet remains! At least the car didn't cost anything as I already had an ideal piece of pipe and some coolant from the last time I changed it. It was due a change of coolant again so maybe this was the cars way of 'gently persuading' me to do it! :lol:
O.C. 480 D.

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Not so happy days....

Post by doingitsideways » Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Bad times about the ticket, Ade.

Seems the cameras are there purely as a cash cow these days, almost intentionally placed where they're going to generate the most income from the most trivial of mistakes made by drivers.

At least you saw off the Golf though. A few mates heve had Golf TDis, yes they're reasonably quick but I find you have to be quite a keen driver to get the most out of them as the mass of torque comes in a very narrow band in the rev range.

One mate had one though that was genuinely fast, crazy map and loads of boost and he CAN drive. I was witness to some performance car slaying, most memorable being a Mitsi FQ300!
Not a happy Evo owner, presumably a drug dealer! ;)

Glad you didn't cook your Turbo though matey

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

Ade

Post by Ade » Sat May 10, 2014 7:22 am

Yeah I reckon she's survived. After an initial alarming drop in the coolant level and some frothiness it seems to have settled down, I guess it was just the last few air pockets coming out of it (even though I used the bleed tap when I filled it up). Only time will truly tell though.

I love that car too much to let it die anyway, if a head gasket it needs, a head gasket it shall have! Done plenty of them in the past anyway, just gotta make sure everything's nice and flat and clean!
O.C. 480 D.

Ade

Post by Ade » Sat May 10, 2014 7:30 am

That's quite something about the TDI outrunning the evo by the way! He must have been gutted!
Your right in what you say though, diesels can be quick if tuned and driven right. Some years ago I had a pug (never again) 306 DTurbo with the old bosch mechanical injection. That was fun to play with cos you could adjust all aspects of the fuelling and boost control manually. Take extra fuel, about 20 something psi boost running through an inter cooler taken from a Mitsubishi warrior and mounted at the front and it made for one quick little car! :D
Only about 100 bhp but the torque was spectacular and that outran a race prepped 2.0 Clio sport! Well chuffed!
It was on a track day and the guy in the Clio thought it was the GTI6. Should have seen his face when he realised it was an oil burner!

How you getting on with your new turbo?
O.C. 480 D.

Ade

Post by Ade » Sat May 10, 2014 7:42 am

Just to clarify as well, when I said ridiculously modified, I meant from the 'crashed through halfords' POV, not proper mods. Just had to smoke the little div!
God, if I had sat in it with my gut the tyres would have been rubbing the arches :rofl:
O.C. 480 D.