Agreed Value / Classic Insurance for 480 - Where?

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Agreed Value / Classic Insurance for 480 - Where?

Post by Martin Mc » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 am

Hello folks,

I'm trying to find a reasonable quote for insuring my 95 ES 2.0 to drive <3000 miles per year (weekend use only) on an agreed valuation / limited mileage basis.

I've tried Adrian Flux, whose agents said that because the car was a 95, it would have to be treated as an 'everyday' policy ??? :dispute:
I also tried Keith Michaels (whose agent sent me emails saying I was 'Just the kind of client they are looking for' after I filled in their online enquiry form, & then ignored 8 phonecalls & voicemails I left him)?? But they have a 'Minimum Premium' of 500 pounds, which again is a bit excessive for weekend use of a classic car. :badmood:

So, I wonder if anyone could advise who might be best to contact, from your own personal experiences?? Perhaps all insurance companies are gaga these days?? :roll:

All advice gratefully accepted!

Cheers!

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

Ulrika480
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Agreed Value / Classic Insurance for 480 - Where?

Post by Ulrika480 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:42 am

I went through all this myself recently including the useless but supposedly competent classic insurer's websites. I ended up with the Chris Knott insurance scheme recommended through the Volvo Owners Club (they needed my membership number - it costs bout £25 a year)

Mine is a 1993 2.0ES and was fine for the classic scheme. Agreed value & fully Comp, based on up to 3k miles a year like you want. They ask you to fill some forms in after and take lots of photos to agree the value, but all relatively painless!
The only difference to a normal policy is that I believe its not transferrable / cancellable - ie they don't really pay much attention to any NCB you have and just quote on the basis of a deal at the time of quote. This also suited me as my full NCB is already on my normal daily drive so I would only have had a year NCB on the 480 normally. Total cost c£200

Give them a try ?

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Re: Agreed Value / Classic Insurance for 480 - Where?

Post by Martin Mc » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond - since I last posted I've had a quote from Chaucer (through the Lancaster website) which has come out at 303 pounds, on a similar 3k per year agreed valuation basis as yours. I'll try Chris Knott too, as any money saved is money that can be spent on the car :)

:)

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)