I'm so angry.... Need some help / advice

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

I'm so angry.... Need some help / advice

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:59 am

Like most people here I'm a ebay member. I have paid 263 Pounds to a newbie seller and they said they sent me the laptop by reg post but it's never come (2 weeks back) and they do not reply to my emails asking for the tracking number.

Ebay now says his Not a registered user. I sent an email to ebay asking what I should do.

What do you guys and girls think?

I'm so :angry: and I'm not going to back down. I'm sending a letter to this guy (who lives in YORKSHIRE) by registered post saying this.
Dear Mr Halliday,

Re: IBM I Series UL403 laptop (Item #3470286175)

You emailed me on the 2nd April to say that you had dispatched the above laptop for which I sent you a direct bank transfer for the sum of £263. To date I have not received this item.

Although I have emailed you at least 4 times since this date I have not received a reply from you. I am therefore very concerned as to the whereabouts of the laptop. If it has been posted would you please advise me of the receipt number reference you obtained from the Post Office so that I might track the laptop.

As far as I know the Post office has not tried to deliver the laptop to my home, nor have I had any card from them through my door.

I am sure that you appreciate my concerns, as £263 is quite a large sum of money.

Could you confirm the address that you sent the item to, by telephoning me on MY NUMBER or alternatively, emailing me at MY EMAIL as soon as possible so this matter can be cleared up.

If I have not heard from you within 7 days from the letter date, I shall be taking the matter further.

Thanking you for your help.

Yours sincerely,
You can read the listing at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

:kill: :badmood: :kill: :badmood: :kill: :badmood: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

wedge69
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by wedge69 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:55 am

Mate, hate to say this, but looks like you have been screwed.

From a legal point of view I don't know where you stand. Assuming that the guy gave you a real address then you could go round and see him, though I doubt that would do any good.

I don't think you have any legal standing either. As far as proof goes, you could ask the bank for a copy of the cheque you sent him (which they would charge you for) but then all that proves is that you sent him some money. Doesn't prove that he owes you anything though.

Sorry mate.

The moral of the story is never buy anything expensive from someone with no rating!
That's my car up there, see?

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:58 am

How did you pay?

If it's by CC, contact your card issueer and ask them to apply a refund due to suspected fraud.

If you paid by any other way, it's going to be tricky. If you used a cheque, or a direct bank transfer of some form, get your bank to start a fraud investigation, they _may_ offer you some protection, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Although he's not a registered user, as you were in a valid transaction, can you not access his contact info and get a phone number? Ask ebay to provide the details if you cant get it yourself from their system.

Always always ALWAYS use a credit card when using Ebay, that's the only way you can get protection - Ebay only protect you up to £50 or so, and then they take £20 of it for admin. Paypall similarly don't give much protection.

always check out the seller, never buy anything expensive from anyone with less than (say) 30 or 40 positive feedback.

For now, you MUST use Ebays fraud system and see what they say.

Where in Yorkshire is this person?
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:19 am

Hello,

I could always break his legs, Now that would be fun. I paid by direct bank transfer. I have emailed Ebay and I await reply. I will then call the bank and see what they say.
Audi TT

Joolz

Post by Joolz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:31 am

good luck martin

alternatively dragon and I could go round rip his arms off and hit him with the soggy ends :angry:
Volvo 480 Celebration 466 Dark Grey Metallic (PUS)
previously
Volvo 480 2 ltr Paris Blue
Volvo 480 2 ltr Peacock Green
Volvo 480 1.7 White
Volvo 760 GLE Saloon 2.8 V6 Blue

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:54 pm

I'm up for some violence. - I'd be scared if three 480 drivers apeared at my door and demanded computer hardware.
Damn ebay fraudsters! Friend of mine sold her phone, sent it off, meanwhile paypal revolked the payment due to some kind of hacking fraud and she was left with nothing. - wasn't covered either, ebay only protects some countries, if you post to uganda or something you have nothing.

John
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

johnd
480 Expert

Post by johnd » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:18 pm

Martin,

An eBay auction is a legal contract. You CAN do him for fraud.

Alternatively where in Yorkshire is he, ill go and break his legs for you!!

John
Citroen 2CV, lowered on 12" Wooden wheels, performance 1cm exhaust, stabilisers & chemical toilet in drivers seat

94 480 Turbo - now the missus's car!

Judas's car!! - 292BHP Celica GT4....I couldn't help myself!!

dragon

Post by dragon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:36 pm

Actually, ebay refund up to £120 (minus admin) it seems:
Under the Standard Purchase Protection Programme, most items bought on eBay are covered for up to £120 (minus £15 to cover processing costs). Please note: the maximum reimbursement for any claim is £105. For example:
If the item price is £300, you are eligible to receive £105;
If the item price is £100, you are eligible to receive £85;
If the item price is £16, you are eligible to receive £1.

While the vast majority of eBay transactions are trouble-free, rest assured that when problems occur, our Standard Purchase Protection Programme can help. Here are some examples of typical trading problems:
Paying for an item and never receiving it; or
Receiving an item that is less than what is described, such as winning a solid gold necklace but receiving a copper one instead.

If you feel you need to make use of the Standard Purchase Protection Programme, here are the steps to take:
First, try to communicate with your seller directly. Many problems are just simple misunderstandings. Request your seller's contact information and get in touch with them.
Buyers and sellers can also use SquareTrade, an independent, neutral third party to help resolve disputes that may arise.
Review the Eligibility Checklist and Claim Process to understand how you qualify for the Standard Purchase Protection Programme.
If your problem has not been solved after Steps 1 and 2, you should file a claim.

Please note that from the 12th Feb 2004, we are changing the deadline to file a complaint from 120 days after the date that the listing ended to 90 days. Buyer Protection claims will need to be filed within 120 days for listings with end dates prior to 11th Feb 2004. For auctions with end dates on or after 12th Feb 2004, Buyer Protection claims will need to be filed within 90 days from the listing end date.

Note: eBay does not provide insurance through its Standard Purchase Protection Programme but allows buyers to receive payments if certain guidelines are met.

Check out the Standard Purchase Protection FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) if you'd like more information.
(from [link]http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence ... fraud.html[/link])

I am shocked at the various suggestions of violence. Genuinely shocked.

As for it being legally binding - so what? All that does for you is to give you a bit of ammo if you decide to take it to the small claims court, which in itself is far from a guarantee of getting anything back, even if they show up and are ruled against, they can elect to pay you in as small an amount as they "can afford", which technically means they could pay your money back at one pound a week for a very long time indeed. Of course you can refuse sucha payment, which means you need to reapply to the court to get a defaulting notice issued if they don't pay up, and then you're into the situation of needing baliffs, at additional cost to go and recover enough stuff to cover your court costs, your defaulting payer ruling, baliff (and any police) costs, and your original outlay back - all in all a slow, and costly experience, if your seller so chooses it to be.

It's not legally binding enough for the police to be interested as it's a civil, consumer problem. I might be wrong, but even if they did get involved, I wager they'll just issue you with a crime number and you'll hear no more...

Gaz Wilson

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:36 pm

Shipley,

Who wants to come?
Audi TT

Sophie
480 Is my middle name

Post by Sophie » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:45 pm

If it's to break his legs or smash his fingers one by one, I'd love to come :hopping:

What do mean, me, evil ???? :rofl:
480 Turbo > 1989 Graphite Grey
MR2 MK1 > 1989...
[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/cosworth/la_team-bordelaise/Sophie.gif[/img]

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:38 pm

hope you will get things fixed. maybe you can file complaints at the police or so. don't do anything mad, stay serene. I would go and inform (after a visit to the police ) at this adres..

Now I know why i never liked Ebay....
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:03 am

*Shipley 480 Meet*

- Bring barbeque, beer and baseball bat!
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

strangegame
480 Expert

Post by strangegame » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:20 am

Could of used lots of [quote's]
JohnTurbo wrote:*Shipley 480 Meet*

:badmood: whats going on Violence is not going to help Grow up when will you kids ever learn

hope you get your money back legally Martin

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:16 pm

I too am a bit taken aback at the sudden call to Violence, (and I am not exactly a passivist). Voilence isn't going to get the Laptop or the Money back, I hope you all do realise this, I am a bit worried if the answer is otherwise.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:26 pm

Let me get my baseball bat ready. :wink:
Audi TT

dragon

Post by dragon » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:29 pm

Luckilly, I am of the opinion that this is all mouth no action territorry ;)

Gaz Wilson

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:30 pm

You would be right. But i'm pissed off and I will try to get this sorted.
Audi TT

Sophie
480 Is my middle name

Post by Sophie » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:03 pm

oooh...I'll put my pool cue away then... :rofl:
480 Turbo > 1989 Graphite Grey
MR2 MK1 > 1989...
[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/cosworth/la_team-bordelaise/Sophie.gif[/img]

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:20 pm

strangegame wrote:Could of used lots of [quote's]
JohnTurbo wrote:*Shipley 480 Meet*

:badmood: whats going on Violence is not going to help Grow up when will you kids ever learn

hope you get your money back legally Martin

Right ! A real man never needs violence. violence is just a token of power shortage. Words do more. be clever. (did you consider your law assist insurance ?-)
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

Murf

Post by Murf » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:25 pm

it's entirely possible that if the person selling was out to con someone that the laptop never existed in the first place.
the picture along side the auction certainly doesnt give the impression of a privately owned laptop being sold from someones living room. more like a small jpeg pasted from a manufacturers website!
going round his house with a baseball bat might not be the answer but turning up in person with a lawyers letter or such like might tip the balance in your favour,its harder to ignore someone at your front door than it is to ignore emails.
just dont get the red mist :angry: and belt him if he pisses you off! :dispute:
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST