What's wrong with this road?!

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

480s partner
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

What's wrong with this road?!

Post by 480s partner » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:33 pm

So many accidents have happened that someone decided to setup a camera. The result is scary, to say the least.

Just watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DGXf0Q ... r_embedded

:eek:

This is in Portugal, and even if we disregard the fact that many people drive unsafely and/or don't maintain properly their cars, the question remains.

Roadworks have been made in the past, but nobody really nows what is wrong on that curve... :wall:

Van
480 Connoisseur

Re: What's wrong with this road?!

Post by Van » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 pm

In the film most cars loose the rear end. We don't see to much of what is at the right of the scene. Here in Holland we had an issue where people would loose control of their cars from Haarlem towards the A9 motorway. When I drove there I noticed the road surface would suddenly sink. If you drive to fast then it's possible the suspension can't cope with this and the balance of the car is upset. This could be the case on that Portugese road.

Another Dutch hotspot I know of is the exit from the A7 coming from Amsterdam to Wognum. It all looks straight and easy but there is a right curve up front. I recall several accidents where people drove down the exit with high speed, lost control and ended on a tree, often with deadly injuries.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

Big Brother

Re: What's wrong with this road?!

Post by Big Brother » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:28 pm

This is probably one of the very few situations where I think speed cameras are justified.
Watching the video it looks like everyone who spins off is traveling a lot faster than those in the other lane, reduced speed would mean no back ends sliding out.

2001 V70