new scrappage scheme

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

POE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

new scrappage scheme

Post by POE » Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 pm

i know this new scrappage scheme that has just come in is supposed to help boost the economy,but some of the cars that have been coming are mint and the fact that nobody can have them is to me just a shame,i dont know whether these vehicles can be stripped for spares i dont know, ihope so and also i wont be able to contain myself if some 480 comes in and it has to be made into a big square cube and nothing can be done :dispute:
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Tue May 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Well I guess someone lets say for example has an old Clio for sale, aint gonna stick it in the small adds for £500 or less when its worth £2000 on a new car. Shame in a way, allot of useful cars are gonna be turned into Argos garden furniture.
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Tue May 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Sad thing i worked out is, despite having £2k off, the depreciation of the new car cathes you after 8 weeks, so you still lose money in the end. also as all these cars are now scrapped it's driving the value of the used cars that are left up, artificial inflation!
Toys:-
2001 Ford focus (not as much fun as my volvo was!)
94 440 turbo auto (Sent to the main dealer in the sky :cryhard: )
92 Suzuki gn250 (Still in rebuild)

POE

Post by POE » Tue May 19, 2009 8:52 pm

yes the price of our used cars are stating to rise ,and you can also imagine in the future that well have compulsary scrappage scheme for cars 10yrs or older,ohhh thatll hurt.
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Tue May 19, 2009 9:02 pm

The Volvo dealership near me is offering £4000 off the price of a new car, still where do they think I'll get the other 20k

2001 V70

POE

Post by POE » Tue May 19, 2009 9:08 pm

i think a lot of people who run older cars ,run older cars because they cant afford new one ,and when you look at average price for small car is approx £7000 where do they expect people to come with other £5000 its still a lot of money and not really a great incentive if you really havent really got much money.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Tue May 19, 2009 9:12 pm

I did test drive the Toyota IQ yesterday just out interest to see what it was like. Have to admit I was very surprised at the performance, it was a 5 speed auto 1.0 3 cylinder and I still hit 110 (on private land of course) its amazing how refined modern cars are.

2001 V70

POE

Post by POE » Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 pm

yes theres no doubt the comfort and performance is much better even in smaller engines ,vauxhall do a diesel under 2.0 and i think 0-60 on that is under 7 secs which is phenomenal,but the reliability is still an issue not so bad on japanese cars id say but on the likes of other makes its a problem (knock as many cars out as possible and deal with the problems later)

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm

not meaning anything against foreigners here but as this scheme is in england by gordon brown it is intended to help our economy maybe.well seeing as we dont make any british cars now (excluding the odd play thing)
most of the money is going to european car makers.my father remembers of seeing people in the 70s & 80s with stickers in their car windows saying
'im backing britain'-------they were more often than not stuck on foreign cars.he has allways driven an austin or rover to date.doesnt know what he'l buy now these have gone.(cant afford a lotus toy).this really drives me mad we cant make good cars anymore,but thats for another day.also a sore point i didnt notice as much help when rover were on the rocks.something to do with fair competition rules while the french used some sense and help renault anyway.were the only idiots which follow the rules and shoot ourselfs in the feet.

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon May 25, 2009 9:47 am

Lol, but we do make cars. Lots of cars. Think civics are made in Japan?

The scheme does irritate me. I could afford to buy a new car...and will soon have a viable trade in car. (00)
(Other than my beloved volvo)

But i dont want to buy a new car!
And i don't want a single 480 scrapped because of this.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

POE

Post by POE » Mon May 25, 2009 9:52 am

lets just hope theres other 480 owners who know nothing about this club do feel the same as we do,would be a shame,i think theres too many 480's getting scrapped and stripped for parts as it is ,and how many are going to be left in say 10yrs? :(

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Mon May 25, 2009 11:42 am

Scrappage scheme is bullshit. Polish ministers are justifying it with ecology. Whether they don't know that new cars aren't more ecological than old? A lot of good cars will go to the scrap heap...
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Tue May 26, 2009 12:34 pm

no john.i know that hondas and toyotas etc are built in england.but there still japanese companies arent they.if you go and buy a renault for example how the bwoody hell does that help britain, except to fill the road up with renaults.and we didnt help people buy rovers. wasnt too long ago most people could name about 30 british cars.austin-healey,bristol,hillman,humber,jaguar,lagonda,marcos,mg,morgan,morris,riley,rover,sunbeam,triumph,wolseley are just a few.what now.
i agree with bigdb.new cars 'in use' are around 10-15% more ecological than old ones.this is cancelled out totally by the recycling and new car production process causing pollution.there is no green argument as yet,untill we zip along with electricity.[/quote]

Murf

Post by Murf » Tue May 26, 2009 7:42 pm

I agree, i would actually raise the price of cars but channel all the extra cash into the development of electric cars and cleaner energy production (wave, nuclear, wind)
Check out the Tesla roadster and then tell me electric cars arent the future!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

richj
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richj » Wed May 27, 2009 9:00 am

I can see how it does help Britain, but only just. Its giving British car factory workers something to build. But like ted said, a lot of the money spent will simply leave the country.

I find it quite incredible that at a time when a lot of people have found out they have got too far into debt with mortgages credit cards etc, the government are actively encouraging people to make a £10k purchase, a purchase that loses most of its value very quickly.

Its crazy.

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Wed May 27, 2009 9:22 am

richj wrote: I find it quite incredible that at a time when a lot of people have found out they have got too far into debt with mortgages credit cards etc, the government are actively encouraging people to make a £10k purchase, a purchase that loses most of its value very quickly.

Its crazy.
The only way banks make money is by lending it to people who dont have it, loans, credit cards, overdrafts. Just be a bit more controlled from now on I think,,,
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Wed May 27, 2009 12:46 pm

i agree rich.the people need to have it to pay it back.job market very wobbly.money has to start somewhere.its a scheme from the asylum after the banks shamefull humilitating gambling.still theres allways the second home or the bonus to come. :angry:

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 pm

Murf wrote:Check out the Tesla roadster and then tell me electric cars arent the future!
I would say that the Honda Hydrogen fuel cell powered car is the future, being that hydrogen is the most abundant element in the known universe.

The problem with electric is that it still has to come from somewhere, and most of our power stations here are still fossil fuel powered.
The only sensible option for our future electric needs has to be nuclear, unfortunately the government have left it far far too late by procrastinating over it to commission new plants, and a lot of the ones we do have are past their design life, and/or in a poor state of repair (I've lived under the shadow of Hinkley point all my life) as a result we are rapidly approaching a point when the lights are going to start going out.
Yet people who hear the words "nuclear" or "radiation" get all hysterical and start painting pictures of questionable Ukrainian engineering; loads of people in burnahm have been protesting against Hinkley C - Fine then, we'll run the knackered stations on till they can run no more then you can sit in the fucking dark for all I care. They've also been protesting against a proposed local wind farm, so god knows what they will accept? Anything as long as its NIMBY I expect..... There has been talk of a tidal barrage stretching across to Brean down - they seem to have conveniently forgotten what used to happen to Burnham before the tidal flood defences were installed, and also that we are well below sea level here!
I don't think wind etc are anything like efficient enough yet anyway.
All I can say is its a good job we have a solid fuel rayburn - we burn mostly waste pallets I get from work so pretty much carbon neutral. Offsets my 4.2 V8 lol

However all this pales into insignificance compared to the task of feeding the worlds rapidly burgeoning population, when people are so set against the use of GM crops - it's just accelerated evolution people!!
Organic is such a nice idea and we do a good deal of business but it isn't going to cut it before too long...

Hmm, thats gone a bit off topic...

The scrappage scheme is absolutely criminal, the fact that any car going in has to have an MOT and is therefore road legal and useable makes it even more abhorrent. they can fuck right off :angry:
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed May 27, 2009 10:16 pm

No to nuclear because the govt. think Scotlands one big empty nuclear dustbin. Stick it under the houses of parliment then the buggers can all glow in the dark so they wont to get expenses to get someone in to change a light bulb . Soon the barstewards would have been charging us to get their bums wiped. Oh sorry thats a islamist preacher of hate not an MP.

I fiddle my expenses I get sacked !

Soon we will have to start tying rabid haggis to hadrians wall at 6 foot intervals to stop the lunatics coming up here.