Volvo's return to the BTCC...?

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Volvo's return to the BTCC...?

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am

Hi people...

As most of you are aware of my interest for all thing motorsport, I found this on the Autosport website...:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73045

A few higher-res pics here:
http://www.ridelust.com/new-volvo-c30-race-car/

And this is an old blog, but I just love the sound of it down the pit straight:
http://honda-sport.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... -evil.html

I know the C30 won't have as much of an impact as the 850 did, but as Seat have pulled out of the BTCC, perhaps Volvo's return may prompt a few other manufacturers to consider coming back? Eitherway, I don't care-it'd be great to see some Volvo's on track in the UK, and more than just Honda, Vauxhall and...well, Honda and Vauxhall at the BTCC.

Fingers crossed!
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:22 pm

And its very good photography too! I would recommend a peek! ;)
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

akroto
480 Newbie

Post by akroto » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Here is another vision of a racing C30. Not sure if I like it or not.
Looks a bit like a boyracer.

www .seriouswheels. com/cars/2009/top-2009-Volvo-C30-Racer-from-Vizualtech-Design. htm

Hmmm... by some strange reason I can't post URLs yet...

As for Volvo returning to car racing, I'm a bit unsure about the whole racing "future" as a lot of manufacturers are struggeling with high losses.
Volvo reported BIG losses ($120 million) yesterday and well, that's just their truck/lorry division.
I don't think that Volvo Personvagnar have revealed their 2008 report yet, but I bet it's going to be red numbers there too...
And now a lot of manufacturers has left racing and more are saying they are on their last season or that they are going to focus on other racing types.

But still one can dream...
Anders K.
Norway
Proud owner of a -87 480 ES

Drazyl
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Drazyl » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:02 pm

akroto wrote: As for Volvo returning to car racing, I'm a bit unsure about the whole racing "future" as a lot of manufacturers are struggeling with high losses.
Volvo reported BIG losses ($120 million) yesterday and well, that's just their truck/lorry division.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Volvo Trucks is nothing to do with Volvo Cars apart from sharing rights to the name.
SAAB 9-3 2.0t
(Previously) [b]1994 480 GT[/b] - Metallic Green...

akroto
480 Newbie

Post by akroto » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Yes, you're right.
Volvo Cars is owned by Ford Motor Company, and is not a part of the Volvo Group. But Ford is considering selling Volvo Cars, and Volvo Group is considered as a possible buyer.

I'm not so good at explaning so I copy-pasted this form Wikipedia and only edited it so it's a bit easier to read.
Recently, there were talks about what to do with Volvo Cars in the event of a market failure with US automakers that would include parent Ford Motor Company.
Swedish interest mounted their concerns after repeated mass layoffs at Volvo, expressing that Sweden needs to enter the spotlight to help its automotive industry. The government was asked to look into a possible state ownership of Volvo, or financing Volvo Cars and SAAB of GM.
Eventually AB Volvo responded to heated talks and decided that they do not want to see Volvo Cars fail, so they agreed to help Volvo cut costs through parternships and even a possible share ownership amongst a larger consortium. AB Volvo repeated and stood stern that they will not buy back Volvo Cars nor be sole majority owner. They are only willing to become part share owner of the once car unit.
FOMOCO announced in December 2008 that it is now considering a sale of the Volvo Cars unit through complex evaluations, but meanwhile it will try to make Volvo a more stand alone company. The Swedish government is now willing to help with a possible Swedish aquisiton of Volvo Cars in the near future along with AB Volvo.
No suitors have shown interest in a possible purchase as yet but it is believed that BMW AG of Germany, Investor AB of Sweden, Chinese investors, or Russian investors are all possible candidates.
Maybe some of our Swedish members can shed some more light on this.
Anders K.
Norway
Proud owner of a -87 480 ES