'Traffic Officers' The Gestapo of Our Roads.

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

eEm
Can tell where the 480 was built

'Traffic Officers' The Gestapo of Our Roads.

Post by eEm » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:07 am

I haven't been online for a while for various reasons, the main one being that I'm pissed right-off with the 480 atm. The gearbox is spewing oil from the breather, the rear engine mount keeps working itself loose, both rear Bilsteins are now knocking, power steering gear is on its way out and knocking/creaking constantly, speedo has started playing silly buggers again and all in the last fortnight! To put the cherry on the icing on the cake I was heading home from a successful session in London when my fuel pump packed up whilst travelling up the slip-road to join the M25! I was stranded in a 'live lane' facing up-hill on the busiest road in the known universe!

Every other motorist was more interested in beeping at me for 'choosing' such a ridiculous place to break down than helping so I got stuck-in, removing the rear seats and centre console. I was in the process of detaching the fuel lines to the pump when, in a flurry of flourescent clothing and flashing lights the paramilitary arm of the Highways Agency descended from on-high and immediately took control of the situation! I was virtually dragged from the car and commanded to stay on the safe side of the barrier whilst they set about hooking up a tow rope to my car. I was permitted to sit in the passenger seat while they towed me 500yrds up the slip and down the other side to the hard shoulder of the M25.

I was then interrogated as to how I was going to move the car etc etc and informed that I had 2hours to remove the car from the hard shoulder before the police removed it for me for a fee. I had no way of having it towed for at least three hours so I elected to continue taking it apart on the hard shoulder. The Traffic Officer looked shocked to the core that I had made such a ridiculous suggestion and proceeded to talk me through the dangers of the hard shoulder and insisted that I stand behind the barrier while I awaited rescue. As the tow rope was still hooked up and in the interests of 'health and safety' I asked whether or not he could tow me the extra mile to the next junction where there was a service station, to which he replied no!

So to recap: I've broken down with no hope of rescue for at least 3 hours.
I have 2 hours to move my car before the police remove it and charge me £180.
I'm not allowed to fix it myself.
Traffic Officers will not tow me any further to services (1mile).

So I call the AA and set up a years membership, then call them back with my membership details and a van is dispatched. The mechanic arrives in 30minutes and tows me the mile to the services which takes around 3minutes. We spend a further 4minutes removing the fuel pump and the problem is immediately obvious.

10minutes later the wire is replaced an d the interior put back together and I'm just waving goodbye to the AA man when I glance across to the MacDonalds car park to see the helpful Traffic Officers having lunch in the services they couldn't tow me to :kill:

YOU NO LONGER NEED TO THINK FOR YOURSELVES GO BACK TO SLEEP GREAT BRITAIN YOUR GOVERNMENT IS IN CONTROL

Are we really living in such an Orwellian nightmare that we're actually not allowed to think for ourselves and we expect to be directed by these Nazi clones that only do things one way- by the book.

Fuck that. I'm starting to see why the Islamistics hate the west so much.

JIHAD! :badmood:
Why won't God heal amputees?

Ral
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Ral » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 am

One word: Ouch :(

So that was £30 roadside recovery to make sure the police were _not_ going to charge you £180 for helping you? Sheesh. Next thing you know, the firebrigades will come and prevent your burning house from setting fire to the adjacent houses and hand you a bill for the favor.

More and more I'm starting to wonder what the British government actually do with the taxes their citizens pay. Road tax very obviously doesn't go towards actually fixing the FFin' roads (not in 100 mile radius around Canterbury it doesn't anyway), the Kentish council taxes had apparently been sent to Iceland, as did at least part of the money apportioned to the police here. And apparently the highway police aren't getting paid to help you either, just to read you your options so you can choose the least expensive one. :angry: :badmood:

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:09 pm

When Joes alternator packed up in the outside lane of the M6 (the 6 lane part!!) of course everyone bibbed even tho his hazards were on! (Becos like you, we CHOSE to flaming well just stop there for the hell of it!!) and then of course I got out and pushed the car ACROSS ALL 6 LANES! While we got bibbed and flashed at and NO A***HOLE even got out and helped me!!! Yup, a single young female pushing a car across the Motorway and NO GENTLEMAN GETS OUT TO HELP!!!!! :angry: Fortunately tho my Lloyds TSB bank charges include breakdown for any car I am in and so long as we are within 10 miles from home we get free towing home!

Sorry to hear about your problems and I just hope you get them sorted soon! And yes, amazing how helpful traffic cops can be-especially when they were going that way anyway!! :angry:
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

eEm

Post by eEm » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:05 pm

The RAC wanted to charge me £50.50 membership plus £70 surcharge for not being a member when I broke down so I called the AA, paid £50 membership then called back to report the breakdown.

@ Esta - Not traffic cops traffic officers. They're mandate is to direct traffic in accident situations, 'assist' broken down motorists and generally maintain health and safety on the motorway. At least the Police are allowed to exercise some discretion, not that they actually patrol our roads any more. When I was young I was travelling with my mother on the motorway when we broke down and a Police officer stopped and towed us nearly 30miles.

The thing that really got up my nose was the look I got from them when I said I didn't have breakdown cover and I'd rather fix the car myself- "...but thats what the AA and RAC are for! I can't believe you've never broken down before driving such an old car..." I'd like to see how these people fare after the apocolypse! They'd probably sit at home and starve waiting for rescue instead of fending for themselves.

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:26 pm

eEm wrote: @ Esta - Not traffic cops traffic officers.
:dunno: Meh, i didnt know there was a difference, I was reffering to the little dudes that sit in those big 4x4s cruising up and down the Motorways (and always a few at NEC as well....) who cant pull you for speeding, but always there when anyone BUT me has broken down!! :rofl:
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Ah traffic wombels, The single most useless people i have ever known!

On the M5 the chain on my motorbike snapped, the chain was thrown into the rear wheel @ 70MPH locked the rear wheel and sends me flying! i get up rescue the bike (which somehow managed to stay up right and park it's self into a bush) and proceed to check damage of bike and myself! they come along and tell me to get away from the bike. i was about to call the RAC when i noticed my mobile didnt survive the fall and had to walk 1/2 a mile to the nearest phone thing. did they offer to take me to it? or call the rac for me? NO! they let me walk along the hard shoulder to get squashed by the next idiot!
Toys:-
2001 Ford focus (not as much fun as my volvo was!)
94 440 turbo auto (Sent to the main dealer in the sky :cryhard: )
92 Suzuki gn250 (Still in rebuild)

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:24 pm

You let the highways agency tell you what to do?! Those traffic plebs are like PCSOs wear a uniform but can't do anything, they have no powers and can't instruct you to do anything. I would have told them where to go personally.

We don't get them around here, because we don't have any real highways and the PCSO has stopped bothering me now about parking my car on the curb because I laid down the law to him rather than him to me, I hate these cardboard cut outs trying to be police officers.

2001 V70

eEm

Post by eEm » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 pm

They don't have any powers and they aren't allowed to think for themselves! So they're drones!

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 am

volvo-bigbrother wrote:You let the highways agency tell you what to do?! Those traffic plebs are like PCSOs wear a uniform but can't do anything, they have no powers and can't instruct you to do anything. I would have told them where to go personally.
Sorry to be disagreeing, Ad, but I think you'll find you are wrong there. It is an offence not to comply with the instructions of a Police officer, Highways Agencies Traffic Officer or VOSA Traffic Officers (see Signals by Authorised Persons in the highway code et al.)

Spot the person that has had to go through HC revision and theory tests (100% correct btw) for his full bike license and riding and road safety BHS exams recently...
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:04 pm

eEm wrote: I'd like to see how these people fare after the apocolypse! They'd probably sit at home and starve waiting for rescue instead of fending for themselves.
:rofl:
I'm waiting for the revolution - only thing that I'm worried about is securing a water supply - boiled ditch water doesn't really appeal....

So did they bugger off after they'd dumped you on the H/S? If it was only a mile and on the flat I'd have started pushing. once you are rolling its surprisingly easy.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

rgreenhalf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by rgreenhalf » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Evidence of powers of traffic officers...

http://nds.coi.gov.uk/content/detail.as ... eID=383270
1998 Nissan 200SX - RWD / 260 BHP :)
1990 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1994 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1990 Volvo 480 ES - Broken

eEm

Post by eEm » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:52 pm

chris1roll wrote: So did they bugger off after they'd dumped you on the H/S? If it was only a mile and on the flat I'd have started pushing. once you are rolling its surprisingly easy.
All up hill on that stretch although I could have had it fixed and back together in minutes, that's the frustrating thing. I should have kept my mouth shut really as they did several fly-by's and called me to make sure I wasn't in the car. They had sat there for 20mins in the 'danger zone' in their own motor before F'ing off.

Paul240480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Paul240480 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Ahh, I knew there was a good reason I left the UK (and the Police force
:D ). Your story sorts of sums up one of them :rofl:
Paul240480
www.gitessouthbrittany.com
[img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk165/Paul480/EarlyEveningMidOct-LaBelleVilaine.jpg[/img][img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk165/Paul480/RocketPhotos009-1.jpg[/img]
www.gitessouthbrittanytouring.blogspot.com

eEm

Post by eEm » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 pm

I know how you feel, I'm only in my twenties and I can't wait to move to the continent. Britain used to be better than this, but when you find that the Sun newspaper is now the most widely read literature in the country you realise that it might be too late for us.

gingherheed

Traffic filth

Post by gingherheed » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:35 pm

I don't like them. I think we should be able to recognise them from the rear by all their vehicles sporting the same reg.

I suggest TO55ERS

Paul240480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Paul240480 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:03 pm

eEm wrote:I know how you feel, I'm only in my twenties and I can't wait to move to the continent. Britain used to be better than this, but when you find that the Sun newspaper is now the most widely read literature in the country you realise that it might be too late for us.
Strewth, your still in your 20's & already feel that way! Well theres little hope! Your coment above is spot on!

I'm mid 40's. 11yrs in Royal Navy (78'-89') followed by 15 in Police Force (89'-04). All for Queen & country as they say'. Did I feel like I received any support?

Well Plunkett & Blair did a great job! They're the reason I'm out here......................... and for that, I suppose I have to thank them :rofl:
Paul240480
www.gitessouthbrittany.com
[img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk165/Paul480/EarlyEveningMidOct-LaBelleVilaine.jpg[/img][img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk165/Paul480/RocketPhotos009-1.jpg[/img]
www.gitessouthbrittanytouring.blogspot.com