accident

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

accident

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Just lucky it's not mine then....

Whoops

THE TALE OF THE ARAB FLIGHT CREW
Written by To The Point News
Friday, 16 May 2008
The brand spanking new Airbus 340-600, the largest passenger airplane ever built, sat in its hangar in Toulouse , France without a single hour of airtime. Enter the Arab flight crew of Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies (ADAT) to conduct pre-delivery tests on the ground, such as engine runups, prior to delivery to Etihad Airways in Abu Dhabi ..

The ADAT crew taxied the A340-600 to the run-up area. Then they took all four engines to takeoff power with a virtually empty aircraft. Not having read the run-up manuals, they had no clue just how light an empty A340-600 really is.
The takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had all 4 engines at full power. The aircraft computers thought they were trying to takeoff but it had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc.)
Then one of the ADAT crew decided to pull the circuit breaker on the Ground Proximity Sensor to silence the alarm. This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air. The computers automatically released all the brakes and set the aircraft rocketing forward. The ADAT crew had no idea that this is a safety feature so that pilots can't land with the brakes on.
Not one member of the seven-man Arab crew was smart enough to throttle back the engines from their max power setting, so the $200 million brand-new aircraft crashed into a blast barrier, totaling it. The extent of injuries to the crew is unknown, for there has been a news blackout in the major media in France and elsewhere. Coverage of the story was deemed insulting to Muslim Arabs. Finally, the photos are starting to leak out. Airbus $200 million aircraft meets retaining wall and the wall wins....

Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 am

Can i just say the pics are real for that but the description is utter bollocks. I'm an aircraft engineer and we get these photos e-mailed at work all the time. We've discussed this one at work, not the crash but the strange re-writing of the thing!

The general concensus (as it seems to have been written by an american) is that its typical american anti-middle-eastern propoganda. The aircraft was crashed by Airbus themselves at Toulous (it was painted ready for delivery, hence the etihad colours). We got the pics and real description months ago, then this alternative explanation turns up about a month ago on the circular e-mails.

Good pics though! It does makes you wonder about some people (I don't mean you at all here Martin!) who will re-write stuff about "the silly Arabs" and send it off to loads of people. Be careful what you read!

P.S. I don't have the original e-mail, I've looked, with what actually happened; I have a vague memory of someone telling me it had dummy brake packs fitted (on during production and for simulating weight during rigging) and therefore had no brakes. But this seems like a bollocks story to me too!

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Well its the same in the UK, they write reports (the uk press) about "silly" Irish people, however if its an Irish person that does well in sport or gets awarded for whatever, they all of a sudden become "British"

Not to appear one sided or rascist, the Irish press are guilty of the same carry on also... :)

The above refers to the press not the general public.
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:48 pm

yeah if you lose your scottish win and your british!!!!

if the romans hadnt built hadrians wall well we would have just had to do it for ourselves after 1314 :rofl:

Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by 2127 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:53 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:The general concensus (as it seems to have been written by an american) is that its typical american anti-middle-eastern propoganda.
Except that, if the crew were Chinese, some might laugh but no one would give a toss.
Now all of a sudden, it's 'typical american anti-middle-eastern propoganda'. :zzz:
Last edited by 2127 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Less is often more.

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 pm

I always piss people off by telling them that flashing your lights at a car with its headlights off is NOT gonna get you gang raped. - Or that a new type of date-rape drug that sterilizes you does NOT exist.

Its very odd indeed.

I'd expect people to want to know the truth....but i apparently just come across as insensitive.

That same bullshit sensor is ringing on this one - i too have had the pics before, as i did work in aero.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:51 am

Great pictures.
Wikipedia
Airline world