Halfords

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

lee
480 Is my middle name

Halfords

Post by lee » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:14 am

Ok people having a bit of a rant here. I went in to halford yesterday to get some hammerite. I could not believe how much these bastards were charging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read on here how people have started to protect the underside of their 480 with such products. I normally get my stuff at trade and i just couldn't believe that i can get 2 hammerite products trade for the price of just one at halfords.

I had not option but to pay the price as i need it. I popped into my local petrol station where the same hammerite product was on the shelf at 75p less than halfords.

My question is HOW THE HELL DO YOU JUSTIFY BUYING ANY PRODUCTS AT HALFORDS?

I hate being ripped of ad hate people ripping people off.

Rant over. For now anyway
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:38 am

For me, Halfrauds is always the LAST resort. I'll try the local motor factors and even the dealers before I end up there.
There generally useless anyway and rarely know what your asking for!

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:57 am

Just recently Halfords has been my first port of call for most service parts-my trade card has more than halved the prices for most parts!!

The only thing i didnt go to Halfords for was the handbrake cable as they dont do them. But i went to my local car Spares, and they were open till 4 and open on Sundays as well, so should halfords ever be more expensive, i usually go there.

Sorry, but i think its cos of people like me with their trade cards, that Halfords charge other people stupid amounts for their products :sh:
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

SMOOTH 480
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by SMOOTH 480 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:24 pm

General motor factors for service parts
and the paint i can get at trade discount from work
If youre interested i can get Suncorite mattblack marine paint its an anti rusting agent paint thats used for metal on boats/ boat hulls also was used to paint engine blocks before machining ;)
volvo 480 1994 vase green 2.0 es mods- lowered 45mm, 16" gold ssp rims, K&N induction kit, high lift cam, walbro fuel pump
1985 celicasupra ( Project )
member 3285
[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/veggies_then_fruit.gif[/img]
Its a volvo not a HONDA you silly chav[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/starwars.gif[/img]

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:29 pm

Kashmir Motor centre, Burnley.

They're my own personal heroes. Think indian cornershop that keeps vented disks for 480 turbos in stock. The shelving is unreal...and so are the prices.

I don't ring around for prices anymore.

I'm slowly converting all my friends...like one that bought "wonder wheels" there, then on a trip to halfrauds saw it for double the price.

As an example.... Primera exhaust front pipe, complex shape, over a metre long, including a flexi. £35.
480 water pump, 15quid
480 trackrod end 6 quid.
Always quality makes too.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:43 pm

i was actually only using them as a last resort. Even with their so called trade card which i do believe is 35% off (this isn't everything) its still way more expensive then my local rip off motor factors.

:kill: halfords

As you can tell this has really got a hold of me.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:37 pm

i recon halfords gets a ot of its business becuase its open when other places aren't, which is also the exact time that everyone is off work and able to play with their cars. its hit and miss, sometimes they have what i need and sometimes they dont, i go to factors first, but they dont stay open as long so its never as easy to get there when theyre open.
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

480 Tatey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by 480 Tatey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:43 pm

I used to work for Halfrauds, and i must say it was the worst place i have ever worked. You get paid shit money to do a shit job. I was on the parts depo and i cant say i was impressed with the parts. They even made me carry leaking car batteries without gloves on. And after that point i would sooner stick a rusty bread knife up my arse than give them money. :angry:
Volvo 480 Celebration 19/480 now sold. Gutted.

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/Tateys480/

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:14 pm

I agree with owen-sometimes Halfords is the only place you can got because of the times (no doubt why you had to pay the stupid amount for underseal lee), and i hate using them sometimes because i find the staff generally patronising or dumb (present company excepted 480 tatey ;) ) but i have noticed a good deal on some items with my trade card-brake discs and pads were cheapest there than GSF, buypartsby, ebay, Car Spares etc. Trust me, im as tight as they come and i DO shop around!

Im not saying they are great but sometimes i have been pleasantly surprised-and i dont know about the 35% off, cos i got transmission fluid for less than half the shelf price when i used my card-it depends on the items, i know batteries are only something like 15% off.

However, i do like to supportl local companies whenver poss, and its nice cos in a couple of places they have got to know me, and will go out of their way to be polite and helpful, which is much nicer than Halfords!!
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk