Need some friendly forum advice about work :)

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

What should i do?

Yes, take the job at MR King Volvo but keep looking for Graphics work...
87%
Take the job at MR King and focus on your future-forget graphics, it's screwed you over this long...
7%
Stay working part-time and really focus on getting a job in Graphic Design...
7%

Total votes: 15

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Need some friendly forum advice about work :)

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Hiya...

Right, incase most of you didn't know, i left Boot's basically because the company is shite & i had my degree in Graphic Design. So i left to pursue my career. 10 weeks on, and i've just landed myself a part time furntiure job-18hrs a week, which is fine as i'm still plugging away at getting a job in Graphics.

As an example-last week i applied for a job in Graphics in Norwich. Within 3 days, there had been just under 250 applications for this one position, some from as far as Japan. So you can see what i'm up against. However, a junior, which is what i'd be if i got the job, would start on 17k a year, and after a year/two, i could easily move to around 23k to 25k, and after 6/7 years around 30k. So it's hard to get in, but once you're in, even round this way, you can see the wages are quite lucrative. I decided that if by summer next year i was still looking, i'd apply for the Police force with the intention of becoming a traffic cop after 2 years-like a complete career change, as in 'fuck it!'.

I've just had a phonecall from MR King in Halesworth (up the road from me). It's a well established Volvo dealer, has been for years. I've been very passionate about Volvo since i was about 12/13, and everybody who knows me (in the physical, not cyber...:lol:) knows this. They've offered me the opportunity to re-apply for a job i turned down a year & a half ago. It's in sales with basic salary being around 12k a year, but the average salesman in that branch is earning around 6/7k a year commission. I'd get a Volvo company car, petrol/tax paid etc, and the opportunity to work my way through a well established Volvo company business (plus service & parts discount :D).

I could look at this 2 ways. 1-it's a way into the company that i'm really passionate about. Work my way up, earning good money and being looked after in a family business. 2-i could use this job for a few years to work my way into Volvo and find out more about their advertising design department, which is all in house and in the UK (and what i'm qualified to do).

So i've started a poll to see what others think. It's a hard situation-going for this job, i feel, is like if i took it it's bye-bye graphics, which is also something i really passionate about. I don't know what to do!

:dunno: :cryhard: :?
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

barnsleyGT
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by barnsleyGT » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:33 pm

fuck man you cant poll your future.

i dont like the options anyway. My two-penneth - Bollocks to part time working, we all need as much lucre as we can get. Take the full time job and see if you like it, and keep applying for graphic design jobs.

One thing i have learned from a few years working - dont fuck an employer about when you leave, then if the grass isnt greener you may be able to go back.

Good luck its a big decision

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:37 pm

I believe my next door neighbour is in a similar position. She also has a degree in graphic design or some related subject, and has got quite down after being unable to get a job in that field.

Its your fault for doing a degree in something you are good at/enjoy.

If you only had a degree in maths you'd have it made.

More seriously, you can still apply for jobs while doing a full time job. I just changed jobs seemlessly from devolping top secret military jet engines to designing incredibly intricate automated transaction technology. (disclaimer, i may have bigged myself up slightly in those job descriptions).

My old place didn't suss the two job interviews i had were interviews.

That said you may have to go to many more interviews than me before getting a job in your area.

Personally if i was in your position i'd take the full time job and get some £££ in the bank. You never know, you might take to it.
Passion sells.
Keep applying for jobs, only interview for the ones where your spider sence indicates its perfect for you.
Also keep your eye on the industry...its surprising how one year there is no jobs and the next there is tonnes. ALSO REMEMBER that the last year's output of grads will have just sobered up and have started looking for desing jobs. Many of them will reallise they only went to uni to get pissed and fall backwards into some dead end job as a temp. They'll intend on leaving, but never will.
They'll also get fat.

You, being a talented, attractive young man with excellent communication skills and a passion for graphic work will then seize the proverbial day and pinch a proper stonker of a job from under their noses.

I've not been drinking.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:33 pm

I’ve just started my career in IT while training to be an IT professional. I called a local company on Thursday around 4.30pm to enquire if on the off chance they had any IT jobs going, just so happened they had put out an add that morning for a trainee, after a lengthy chat they asked me to forward a CV and cover letter, on Friday before the CV and cover had even arrived they called me and asked me to go for an interview, I did and at 4pm they called and offered me the job. So less than 24 hours after enquiring about the job I had it.

The point is, you never know what is around the corner, just send a letter and CV to any local (or future depending on how far you want to travel) and who knows you may get lucky.

But for now take the full time job and get some green in the bank.

Good Look!

Ad

2001 V70

Ral
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Ral » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:47 am

Not to be a twat, but what can you do with your degree? Do you design graphics for websites, ads, movie sets? Is there such a thing as specialization at all? I just think it makes a huge difference whether you can tell a prospective employer specifically what you can do. Graphics design sounds... vague to the uninitiated (ie. me ;) ). Also, I've found in my IT career, huge value is placed on experience. So even if it's not paid, especially as you're working part time atm, find someone who needs some graphical work done on _something_ so when it comes to it, you can show what you've done before. Ie. I was maintaining a network in student dorms for years before I found a proper job in IT. Things like that help.

If you can tell me what you could mean to an online game, I might be able to forward your details to someone if that would interest you. Other than that, having people headhunting you is never a bad thing :)

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:58 am

barnsleyGT wrote:fuck man you cant poll your future.
:lol: You hit the nail on the head! :lol:
JohnTurbo wrote:More seriously, you can still apply for jobs while doing a full time job.
too true. I just did it! I'm in the process of serving my notice with the council at the moment to finally go into my chosen career which has taken me over 4 years to get!

Is your fear that you take a full time job and then you become stuck in a rut again? I think you get what you want from a job.

I will offer my thoughts tho ... I'd say your choice isn't that difficult! don't give up on graphic design it's too early! from what you've written, neither job is what you really want to do, so just pick which ever one you want ... by that i mean forget about these jobs long term prospects and make your choice souly on the imediate short term advantages (easy commute, good hours, etc) ... and keep thinking about Graphic Design!

:D
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:45 am

Take the job with volvo but keep applying for design jobs, the right one will come along eventually!
In the meantime you can have a nice sideline in getting discount volvo parts (ie rear clusters) and selling them on to us at a slight profit :D
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Not to mention the free car, petrol etc. I would take the job just for that.

2001 V70

kev
480 Rookie

New job

Post by kev » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi,Dan

Take the job.

You always have the option to leave if you find work in Graphic Design.

Cheers Kev

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi guys...

Cheers for the responses & kind words :D I've got an appointment with Volvo on Tuesday @ 11am. So i'm gonna go along and see what they say. I've got some things i want to ask them etc-1st pick on trade-ins, parts discount etc ;)

But salary etc will be on the list-just got to sound them out really. They were disappointed i turned the job down over a year ago, and out of the people they could have contacted this time round, they contacted me-so thats put me in a little better position. I'll just go along and see how it goes.

And just think of the all the 480's that they still service (which is quite alot apparently) that i can flyer! Or buy :lol:

I'll keep you all posted-thanks again for the kind words and advice-and thanks to Ross for the masssssive PM-your point is duely noted, and very worth bearing in mind-cheers dude. I'll give you a hug next meet ;) :lol: :D

Cheers guys-group hug!
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Just look at the job and see it as a source of income. I know people who have turned down jobs because 'they wouldn't pay me enough' I ask them how much they are getting now and they say £52 a week in JSA, and I simply say it would be more than what you are getting now.

2001 V70

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:08 pm

Ral wrote:Not to be a twat, but what can you do with your degree?
:lol:

Basically, my degree covers 'graphic communication'. So this could be from advertising to package design, sign/logo etc etc. There is an element of www design, but that wasn't part of my course-my main area of 'expertise' is magazine layouts/typography/advertising etc.

To give an example, i could work for Volvo designing magazine/newspaper ads etc, or i could design and put together the range brochures. I also have my qualification in photography, so i could design mags/brochures from scratch.

Automative sales based is where i'd like to end up. I've contacted Volvo UK loads about working in their advertising dept (range brochures/press release/promo mailers etc etc), but to no fucking avail! I'll just keep writing thm letters until i get a restraining order. But that would be a dream job, doing that for Volvo. Something to aim towards :D

But your not a twat, people ask me that question alot-usually after i've been asked 'bet you saw some good photo's working there', when they find out i worked in the lab at Boots :lol: Humans, so predictable :lol: ;)

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:45 pm

Just pleeeeeease dont become a hypo-pig mate!

Go for the job at Kings,its fate!

Keep applying too

:D
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:35 am

Hi, a friend of mine is in advertisting, with similar skills I think. Employers tend to employ teams of 2, creative and copywriter.. He's just been laid off from his first big job after uni. From what he tells me, advertising jobs are the first to go as when other companies need to cut back, they scrimp on the advertising.. I believe its a tough time to get in to that industry. He's focussing on geting an excellent portfolio together which will help for future interviews.

I say take the Volvo job, but dont lose the drive for the 'real' job. Keep working on a portfolio. The new job could give you all kinds of new ideas / directions, if not... Bin it!

pol

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:43 pm

The problem with most jobs these days like IT, Graphic Design etc is that employers these days want you to have every qualification under the sun with 10,000,000,000 years experience and then expect you to work for vertually no money.

2001 V70

Darren
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Darren » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:15 pm

If I was in your position I’d take up with the Volvo dealer and see how things go from there. They’ll give you the vital training you need to work up to a respectful level whilst you earn and learn at the same time. I really don’t know how deserving a sales job is, although working for a name you enjoy as a hobby, plus all the perks considered, it’s a safe bet. Hey, in two years time you might not like it, or something design related might come up, but at least you’ll be trained and have something else to fall back on, and the two years will not have gone to waste with applications and interviews and part-time work leading you no-where.

In regards to finding work in the design section of the business, it really comes down to experience (like most things), especially if you carry a portfolio. I work in a sign shop and we’ve had (and turned away) enquires for design positions from people that are straight out of University – no experience and/or expect too much just because they have qualifications.

Speaking of experience, my girlfriend finished tech last year but was not accepted into any local Universities (local as far as all of Northern Ireland.) She investigated her refusal and realized she needed several days work experience in a related department to her chosen University course. She couldn’t get that experience (only 5 days!!) due to insurance because she was no longer a ‘student’. She’s been sitting around the past year applying for jobs of interest (and certainly not being picky) and taking interviews with no success because she had no experience. She’s since decided she wants to work in a car dealership and has just started an enterprise course for 6 months in the local Citroen garage. She’s really keen on her work already, although it’s poor pay (like any course).

I’ve been working in a sign shop for five years now and the only reason I got in at the start was because I took a 62 week course to get me started. Last year the company took on another guy on a similar course, and tomorrow I believe another new guy is starting. From my experience, the local / small enterprise courses that enter you into companies for work and experience (with a probable job at the end of it) are the only go-go for young people now-a-days, unless you can get work through family and friends. That said, I’ve noticed some of the big name companies such as Tesco, TX Max etc. are rather good with job opportunities. I suppose it just depends sometimes what line of work you want.

Just on a side-note Dan, I've always wondered what working as a sales person would be like. My girlfriend says there's periods during the day where there's nothing to do, plus due to peoples working hours there can be a lot of evening / weekend overtime just to meet the suiting of potential customers. I’m sure not trying to put you off, but vehicle graphics is apart of my job and I thought it’s something I could take into a dealership job with me if I ever went down that direction – most car dealerships use graphics on their cars to advertise; if you wanted to cross your design area of expertise it wouldn’t be costly or long-learning to have the company buy a small vinyl cutter and a selection of vinyl for you to do their graphics for them. This may keep you busy in the slow periods, boost an extra bonus in your wage package and would give you some design experience.
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]

mandymoochops
480 Newbie

Post by mandymoochops » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:27 pm

My two penneth worth - i've been in car sales and didn't like it because of the pressure you are under to reach targets etc and even tho companies will say they don't do pressure sales it is all about getting people to sign on the dotted line on the day they walk into the showroom.

So if you can hack it and don't mind railroading people take the job, the perks are good, its a laugh, free car (always a bonus) which will change every 3 months or so and keep one eye on the market for your graphics job.

You make a lot of contacts in the motor tade you never know who you'll meet along the way believe me on this one!!!!

Oh and good luck :D
Beano 480 celeb 120/480 [img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/mandymoochops/smallbeano.jpg[/img]

mandymoochops
480 Newbie

Post by mandymoochops » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Just read the post above my first and yes all dealerships use sign companies - and they are invariably the ones that can come out and attach graphics on site - not just to cars but think of vehicle livery - commercials - lcvs etc (I used to be manager for fleet lcv and business user dpet at a Renault / Nissan dealership and always had vans to arrange signage for) now if you get into the dealership, get your feet under the table and then let it be known that you know do this its a way around getting into vinyl signage.

Opportunities always come indirectly - very rarely hit you in the face!
Beano 480 celeb 120/480 [img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/mandymoochops/smallbeano.jpg[/img]

mandymoochops
480 Newbie

Post by mandymoochops » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:39 pm

And also all over the big f/o showroom windows - forgot that part.

Word of warning. I had to take a Navara to an extreme sports event at Hunstanton and took it to the sign people at about 4.30 the Friday before the Saturday she was due out. I was knackered from a hard day at work and did'nt notice their mistake until got back to the dealership it said

blah blah blah for exiting 4x4 solutions :shock:

So a quick about turn and it was replaced by the right spelling - but how unproffesional to have your slogan spelled wrongly.

Don't suppose it helped saying blah blah blah on it either .......... :D

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:58 pm

::: Update :::

Well, i've had my little chat with Volvo today. I should point out it's a franchise, not a main dealer, but it's quite a well established franchise.

I was in there an hour and a half, and i was pretty much offered the job on the spot. The said that they really like me, they could see that my enthusiasm for the marque was a natural enthusiasm and they think i would do well.

They give me a company car after 3 months, which they tax & insure for me-it's a new car too, and although i have to put petrol in, i do it on site and it's conseiderbly less :D. Basic salary is only 10k, but i sounded them out on this. I know salemen work on comission-so i asked how much an average person in their first year should be/could be looking to make...

"In your first year, once you get into the swing of things, you could be looking to make just under 20k a year-and thats with minimal effort"

And that came from the main boss and his son. I know there will be several people who'll read this and think that they are just telling porkies to get me interested-but a friend of mine works for Renault, and he made just under 17k in his first year there, and that was only 5 days a week. The other good thing is that they don't set targets. You can't make people buy cars-they'll let you know if they think you're not pulling your weight, but you get out what you put in basically. So there's quite a bit of pressure off from the start.

I'm being invited to work for them Fri, Sat & Sun (paid obviously)-they have a show which they take the cars to, and includes the other 2 companies of their family business, which is Peugeot & Suzuki dealers as well. It's just for me to see how i get on with the guys, get a feeling of what it's like working for Volvo. I'm transporting cars on Fri, & i'll be shadowing a few sales guy's over the two days.

There's only one thing thats put a bit of a downer on the whole thing at the moment-and it's that it's a 6 day a week job. Mon - Sat, 8.30 - 6. I like the weekends-so working 6 days is a bit of a shitter tbh. But i know this job has the potential to bring me home £350+ a week, which is house deposit money. All swings & roundabouts.

So, i've pretty much made my mind up in my head-i'll just see how it goes. It doesn't have to be a lifetime thing i know, but it's a good opportunity to make a good living from, and strictness aside (they give the impression they & all who work there are very disciplined), they are a decent family to work for.

So the ball is now solely in my court. I can't deny it's a nerve wracking time-my life had come to a stand still with my 'career' at Boots-and you know what it's like when you get comfortable somewhere-but it's exciting at the same time. Even though i'm 26 (tomorrow anyway :D), it's like this job is giving me the chance to take a step into adulthood. Which is good, but still scary :lol:

Obviously i'll still be looking for a job in Grpahics, but this seems a tidy position for the time being.

And-2 other interesting things came out today too. They have a 480 coming in soon that they can't put on the forecourt as it's too old-the customer is getting a new car, and they're trading this one in-so i've been offered it as a first refusal for spares they said, so it's prob. pretty old. And the other bit of info....not sure if i like this :lol:...was about my car. It belonged to one of my old bosses years before i had it, and they bought it off and traded it back to that garage. I knew in my bosses ownership it had a little 'bump', but the guy who sold it to them in the first place said to me ' i remember when that came in to the bodyshop after they had written it off...'. Shouldn't that be on my documentation somewhere :shock: That would explain all the receipts for parts anyway... :( But at least it was done at a Volvo garage (came from there originally too!).

Anyway, an update, as promised. What do you think?