It's a Wedge Jim But Not As We Know It...

Some things just can't be placed elsewhere. Have you been speeding and got fined? Or spotted a nice new Volvo on the web somewhere? All non-480 messages can be posted in this part of the board.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

It's a Wedge Jim But Not As We Know It...

Post by MisterH » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:58 pm

I had originally intended this topic title to be for the day I brought an Isuzu Piazza Turbo home, however today I picked up a new, entirely different toy, a 1986 Audi 80 Sport

I had been after a quattro, but this one came up and while it was more than I was hoping for, it is rust free and should make a good base for much fun to be had.

If the Volvo represents one end of the Wedge Spectrum, this is the other, with boxy, but characteristic wedgyness being the order of the day. However they do say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, and this Audi clearly desires to be of the Born Identity, currently:

The Brake pedal activates the indicator light
The indicators are quite lazy, and work sporadically
The passenger window sometimes doesn't close properly
The Mirror adjust is broken
and in a break from the 480-game, the engine is actually not totally fine, the thermostat needs waking up

Oh and I need to find rubbing strips
and only one sidelight works, but both headlights do...

But I am extremely happy to have bagged one of these icons before prices go silly
and I just hope and pray thieves don't go for it :kill:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: It's a Wedge Jim But Not As We Know It...

Post by jifflemon » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:39 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:58 pm
The Brake pedal activates the indicator light
The indicators are quite lazy, and work sporadically
The passenger window sometimes doesn't close properly
The Mirror adjust is broken
and in a break from the 480-game, the engine is actually not totally fine, the thermostat needs waking up

Oh and I need to find rubbing strips
and only one sidelight works, but both headlights do...
Brake/indicator. Firstly check the bulb. If it’s a standard 21/5w affair, they can only be fitted one way.

Unless you’re a bloke. See, women would try to fit the bulb incorrectly, realise it wasn’t going in properly and either take it out and try it the other way, or admit defeat and take it to a garage. A bloke feels resistance and sees it as a challenge, thus forcing the bulb in, leading to brake light now acting as an earth….

If it’s not that, you’ve an earthing problem.

Indicators? Flasher relay, or again, earth. Do hazards work ok?

Giving the whole cooling system a flush, fresh coolant and a new thermostat.

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:38 pm

Thank you!

To be honest, I am not entirely sure quite what works and what doesn't. When Indicating right, the indicator will tick over faster than can be expected, as if a bulb is out, however when the brake pedal is depressed, it will stop, and continue when the pedal is released. It is almost as if it hasn't got enough power to do both at the same time, or to use a computing analogy, where the system decided to pop the brake light to the front of the stack, and stop the indicator, and when the brake light is done, return to the indicator. It seems almost as if the wires have been crossed, or at least that is what my father suspects.

Thanks for the cooling system advice, I think we are gonna take a look at doing all those fluids over the coming days...
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:10 am

Wow Ben - that takes me back! My father had the 1987 Passat which was built on the same platform, and it proved a very good and reliable workhorse for him. He loved it and had it until it almost fell apart around him many many years later :lol:

Looks like a good example, and I hope you get a lot of pleasure from it as your new project.

Regarding the indicators/brake lights, I would strongly echo what Jeff has said as the first thing to check. Earthing on rear light clusters is always fragile and easily upset by the silliest of things. I had several Fords back in the day and it was common to see them with the brake lights flashing in alternate phase with the indicators. In that case (on the Sierra, anyway) all you had to do was clean the connections and put a slight twist in them to ensure a really tight contact with the plug connector.

Whatever the car, the brake light bulbs being forced in the wrong way is quite a common problem, and sends the circuits on the rear cluster crazy - it is effectively the same as crossing the wires. So definitely I would check that first. It might not be the answer but you'll kick yourself if you go to great lengths following wiring through etc only to find that it was as simple as re-fitting the bulbs!

All the best

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!