Wanted: Various parts + a few questions

Cleaned up the garage and found some parts you want to sell? Or are you looking for that one part? You can advertise or request just about anything that has to do with the Volvo 480 in here: brochures, towing-hooks, antenna's, etc etc...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Can tell where the 480 was built

Wanted: Various parts + a few questions

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:02 pm

Hi all, the 480 is in need of a bit of a tidy-up and some things need fixing on it so am after certain parts if anyone has them:
  • Door hinge pin(s) for passenger door
  • Check strap for driver's door (driver's door refuses to stay open and my bruised shins are fed up from having to stop it closing :lol: )
  • Small translucent green plastic piece that the bulb fits in for the ignition barrel
  • Front passenger speaker grille
  • Little cover that goes over the coat hook
  • Small plastic square that covers the screw underneath the handbrake in the centre console
  • Celebration nearside rear gathered insert
  • Leather insert for dashboard passenger side (long)
  • Gasket set for rear lights
  • Long shot, I know, but if anyone has a set of rear mudguards!!!
Now for the questions:
- How do the dashboard inserts come out? They seem like they're fused to the dash.
- Anyone know where I can get some Smoke Silver (306)? Someone told me about a specific place ages ago but I can't find the thread.
- What size is the tweeter in the doors and does anybody have any recommendations as to some modern upgrades to them?
- What methods do people recommend to fix a sagging headliner? Saw the Flipping Bangers episode where they 'fixed' theirs only for it to clearly start sagging again in the next shot!

Thanks in advance
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Re: Wanted: Various parts + a few questions

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:44 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:02 pm
  • Check strap for driver's door (driver's door refuses to stay open and my bruised shins are fed up from having to stop it closing :lol: )
Hi Will,

Regarding this particular item, you might want to whip the door card off and have a butchers inside. It might be the door carcass has decided to tear itself to pieces. Sometimes they need a bit of welder surgery.

The coat hook caps I have all but given up on. One day it will get my undivided attention i'm sure. Sadly, any other donor car of a similar age will have similar condition items and this is the battle we all face :wall:

We need a blog update with your cup holders in action!

Good luck with your requests.

JKM.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:48 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:44 pm
Regarding this particular item, you might want to whip the door card off and have a butchers inside. It might be the door carcass has decided to tear itself to pieces. Sometimes they need a bit of welder surgery.
Went out and had a quick check and it seems that you are right - the check strap that is there is just rattling around and not connecting to the door. Will have to check if this means it needs welding or a new check strap - or both.
Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
The coat hook caps I have all but given up on. One day it will get my undivided attention i'm sure. Sadly, any other donor car of a similar age will have similar condition items and this is the battle we all face :wall:
That's tough to hear considering both of mine were perfect, but ended up chewing one up when I replaced the seatbelt arms. Really kicking myself now :(
Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
We need a blog update with your cup holders in action!
aha! my favourite 480 accessory. I bought it about a year ago now from The Netherlands, along with my slightly demonic digital clock (turns all '5' into '6') but don't think I gave it much of a mention. I will update my blog once I get more time in the summer - but first I need to mount my CD changer somewhere in the boot, as well as a full black leather interior currently waiting in my shed.

The 480 will get a lot of attention this summer both inside and out. Unfortunately due to the unreliability of public transport now, I've had to rely on my it for the morning & evening commute all throughout the rather grim winter we've just had. I have to say its been a real trooper and hasn't let me down once, but I'm well aware it's not sustainable long term - even with the new rear sills and rust protection that it has.

Thanks for the help :D
William

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:02 pm

Speaker grille and gaskets I can probably find for you.
Coat hook? think there was this

Replacing a twin tone interior with Celeb? Heresy! :lol: I hope you're keeping the old one?

Inserts? I've a trim tool for it - looks like this. They do just push in, but given the all too common humidity issues, they'll be a little rusty by now, so the rear metal backing plate will be only to happy to separate from the aging plastic dash.

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:43 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:02 pm
Speaker grille and gaskets I can probably find for you.
DC messaged me about the grille, so I should be good there. Still in need of a gasket set if you have one!
jifflemon wrote:
Replacing a twin tone interior with Celeb? Heresy! :lol: I hope you're keeping the old one?
I know, I know, It's not one for the purists! :lol: The interior isn't going anywhere except packed neatly in storage. It's the original for my car and tracking down another one further down the line would be very difficult to do given its rarity. I'm probably in the minority on here when I say I prefer full leather over half-leather in the 480 - The seats I have are actually just the standard black leather that you could option. The only Celeb parts I have are the gathered inserts.
jifflemon wrote:
They do just push in, but given the all too common humidity issues, they'll be a little rusty by now, so the rear metal backing plate will be only to happy to separate from the aging plastic dash.
Managed to finally figure this one out for myself just after I made the post. My reasoning for removing the insert? Hausser w o o d g r a i n

(yes, I know that the metal backing is showing a little, but AFAIK these parts were only made for LHD dash mouldings)
William

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:19 am

The only thing I’ll add about leather, is that there was very good reason that cars with full leather had AC! And also why I maintain the half leather was the best interior.
Drop me a message for seals.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:14 am

Headlining. Like most things, it’s all about the prep. Pull the fabric, spray some glue and stick it back up and you’re going to get a failure pretty quickly. Either start with a spare one, or take yours out completely. Peel the fabric make and then thoroughly clean and then, allow to dry. My gut feel is that it’s humidity that’s killing them.
Once clean and dry, glue and roll back and allow a day or two to fully cure.

malkontent

Post by malkontent » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:00 pm

speaker cover , R + L , coat hanger R + L , I have :D
regards
Marek