Wanted: Rear tail lights and rear crashbar

Cleaned up the garage and found some parts you want to sell? Or are you looking for that one part? You can advertise or request just about anything that has to do with the Volvo 480 in here: brochures, towing-hooks, antenna's, etc etc...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Volvo480lover87
480 Newbie

Wanted: Rear tail lights and rear crashbar

Post by Volvo480lover87 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:57 pm

Hello! I very rarely post here but wanted to give it a try as I am running out of time.
My Volvo 480 has been a labour of love for a very long time, it has needed a full engine replacement (after a faulty new cam belt fitting took out the pistons) and then the day after I finally got it home an enormous 18 wheeler reversed into it when it was parked outside my house and 'wrote it off'.
I have been slowly paying to have it fixed up over time as I can afford and it has moved from one garage to the next when I use up their patience or they have done all they can for it (I have no private parking so to get it back it has to pass an MOT and be taxed).
The rear lights were stolen from it when it was at its latest garage who are now telling me with very little notice they want it gone by christmas - with the previous agreement I could pay rent on its space for as long as I needed.

All I need to have it ready to go after this massive battle are new rear lights and a metal crash bar for inside the rear bumper (as mine was rusted through) but I cannot seem to find them anywhere so I have taken to this forum in the hope that there are the parts SOMEWHERE.

I love this car, its sentimental value for me is huge so I am not giving up but if anyone has any of these parts or knows where I can get them please get in touch.
Sylvia has been amazing helping me search and suggested I write this topic. I have tried contacting Bartek about the fiberglass bumper with no reply but also with my current time constraints I don't think I would have the time for one to be made. I am also looking at the rear light clusters made new in France (WOW finally someone is doing this) but I cannot find the backs and also the time constraint is an issue.

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this!

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Wanted: Rear tail lights and rear crashbar

Post by WRDendy » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 pm

I imagine Jeff will be along shortly, but one way or another I think there will be a solution. Where are you (and the garage)? There are a number of us spread around with secret stashes of parts, hidden from both the public at large and in some cases our other halves, with varying degrees of success.

Potential quick fix for the bumper - just bolt it back on minus the bar for now. I realise that the current garage might take issue with that, but nothing stopping you taking it somewhere else for the MOT.

I realise also that it's a bit of a moot point at the moment, but it would be interesting to do some investigation into your stolen lights. There aren't that many 480s around, so there's a fair chance that if you could pinpoint roughly when they disappeared someone might recall seeing some for sale, or even buying them. It's not like they would have taken them off your car and fitted them to the other 480 on the ramp next to it, after all.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:55 pm

WRDendy wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 pm
Potential quick fix for the bumper - just bolt it back on minus the bar for now. I realise that the current garage might take issue with that, but nothing stopping you taking it somewhere else for the MOT.
is there anything that states there must be steel 'within'? the SS1 is (& was always) just Injection moulded rubber front & rear
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Volvo480lover87
480 Newbie

Post by Volvo480lover87 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:25 pm

Thank you both for the replies! I am in Surrey so down in the South East. I love that there are enthusiasts squirreling away parts for future needers that are passionate about the 480, it's wonderful people can collect with a common interest like this on this forum. I immediately took to looking on Ebay the moment I saw the lights were missing but nothing has come up yet that even remotely resembles them. I am also mostly house-bound at the moment so am not certain of the exact date they vanished from the car.

I have been told it can pass an MOT without a metal crash bar however knowing the luck I have had in the past I would be rear ended on the way home and this would spell disaster. I have had someone say they may have a spare bumper and am waiting for news. It's these lights, they are like gold dust.

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:00 pm

I am in Hampshire so not a million miles away. What model and year is your car btw?
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Volvo480lover87
480 Newbie

Post by Volvo480lover87 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:12 pm

Hello! It is a Manual 1990 :) Good to see some local fellows!

I also wanted to add that if there is anyone out there that has the know-how regarding these new French light covers for the future please do get in touch because looking at the video I was a bit flummoxed by all the equipment needed so if someone has done it before and knows the routine or does it on a regular basis I would love to hear from you!