Power Steering hoses remade

Cleaned up the garage and found some parts you want to sell? Or are you looking for that one part? You can advertise or request just about anything that has to do with the Volvo 480 in here: brochures, towing-hooks, antenna's, etc etc...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Power Steering hoses remade

Post by arthuy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:05 pm

I now have a useable set of PAS hoses.

A local firm to me apparently can make them, I hope to pop in tomorrow to see what the options are.

Would anyone else be interested in a set? I will probably get another couple of sets made if they are good.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Power Steering hoses remade

Post by arthuy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 pm

I went down to see the guys today and they couldnt do the fittings as per the original. They could of reused the ends and put new rubber on the hoses but in my case the pipes are corroded.

Talked about a few options and rather than trying to recreate the hose identically went for a stainless braided hose. Thankfully as the hoses are fitted to adaptors they were able to find adaptors to suit the fittings they have.

The awkward one was pump side as it has a seal and non standard fitting. The adaptors were machined a bit to suit, only took 20minutes to make both hoses.

I will try and fit them this week and see how they look but despite the differences in curves there should be enough flexibility to do the job. cost was £60 a pair inc adaptors.

Admittedly they arent atheistically the same but without a supply of originals thought it worth a punt.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:52 pm

similar to what I've got so far, I'll post pictures once sussed it all out but in effect gone for flexible from the rack ALL the way to the front pipe, passing under the bellows and over the subframe and then snaking towards front under the sump and then I need to get a compression coupling onto the existing FRONT steel pipe (which is only 'not rusty' one)

Image Image

in reality I could maybe have gone for next size up flexible and used a different right angle fitting (eg without the adaptors), but as it is all 'free issue', can't complain :-)

return will just be a short bent steel section , or a right angle with hose tail (YTBD), with original unbraided up back-o-block (next to petrol pipes)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Got the new hoses on today, was a bit of a fight to get the old ones off. I broke the pipe then got a socket on, it was a bit of a mission.

They dont look too bad. I am not a fan of Braided hoses on show in the engine bay but needs must.

There are a few things I need to tweek, my car has Aircon and the hoses I used as a template were from a car that didnt. The pump connection for high pressure hose has a banjo and could do with being a tad longer.