BTCC type front spoilers for sale

Cleaned up the garage and found some parts you want to sell? Or are you looking for that one part? You can advertise or request just about anything that has to do with the Volvo 480 in here: brochures, towing-hooks, antenna's, etc etc...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

johnd
480 Expert

BTCC type front spoilers for sale

Post by johnd » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:18 am

Hi,

Well seeing as Volvo charge £127 for replacement spoilers I've got a bargain for you.

They are quite BTCC but blended/moulded ones are Dave DBS's field so if that's what you are after I recommend getting in touch with him.

This is the polycarbonate(Lexan)/aluminium spoiler. It's angle adjustable and pretty easy to fit (it's quite easy to almost get your arm stuck inside your bumper though!! :rofl: ). You would need to drill your bumper though. I'm doing these at £69.95 plus postage (saving £60 over a Volvo lump of plastic) and any changes are negotiable. For example the fins are extended on this one for a splitter effect but these can be removed/shape changed etc. I was even going to do some 480 shaped ones!! Alloy/Titanium bolts/colours/etc. If you want something then just ask.

I am going to be doing some rear ones aswell, probably this weekend. These will probably bolt onto the roof but I am trying to devise a way to bolt them to the existing plastic one on the tailgate to avoid having to drill the roof.

I am going to be doing a rear bumper mountable version of the front aswell.

Carbon ones will be completed in the next few weeks and these should be coming out about half the weight of the polycarbonate ones but about £4/50 more (Still cheaper than Volvo!!).

For our friends across the water I have no problems shipping them to Europe. I would have to get a quote on postage though first.

I shall post some better pics when the weather picks up!!

Keep your eyes peeled for the snowcaps aswell....they won't be long!

For any info. email me on JDeverill@CSC.com or leave me a reply on here

Iain
480 Newbie

Post by Iain » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:48 pm

Lovely, an instant MOT fail.
Is contravention of Construction and Use still 2 points?

Iain

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:02 am

looks very modern but I don't think my 480 is ready for the change. How long until the snow caps come? They will be black right?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Patrick 480 Turbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Patrick 480 Turbo » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:22 am

looks disgustingly bad
'92 480 Turbo, Hausser Body Kit, FSE Valve, 15" RH alloys, clear indicators, Bridgestone Tyres 215/45/15, red Sidemarkers in the rear, Boost Presure@0.8 bar, Momo Steering Wheel, Foliatec Shifting Knob, .....

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:37 am

Regretfully I must agree. Not,for me I am afraid, Will be good to see how the snow cap developes though :)
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:28 pm

Plus, (I know it's not a nice thought, but....) imagine what'd happen if you hit someone/something (possibly more commonly an animal, like a rabbit) with that spoiler. At the moment the bumper is fairly rounded, and although you're likely to kill a rabbit, that'd just chop it's head off, not to mention the mess it'd make on the car (if it didn't rip the spoiler off in the process!). And as a person, If I had to be hit by a car, I'd rather it was one without that spoiler on it! :wink:

Ben.

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:36 pm

JohnD

What's the white thing behind your grill?
It looks like an induction hose.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

johnd
480 Expert

Post by johnd » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Iain, can you point me in the right direction for the Contravention of Construction law in the MOT. Ive tried looking on MOTUK.com etc. but cannot find anything pertaining to this. I know sharp edges caused by corrosion are a fail but surely this is just a front version of all those BTCC type spoilers out there. If not...off it comes and back to the drawing board!!!

Patrick, I think the Hausser kit looks disgustingly bad! Personal taste really.

Ben, I reckon it would be better to chop its head off than break its neck/back for the rabbit to crawl off somewhere and die a slow and painful death. I doub't it'd rip the spoiler off though as it's too well bolted on. It would have to take the whole bumper off.

Mat, yep, an induction tube.

John

johnd
480 Expert

Post by johnd » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:28 pm

Hi Iain,

I have spoken to a few MOT testers and they are of the opinion that under law any spoiler is OK as long as:-

"All body panels should be securely fixed in place and free of sharp or jagged edges"

So, yes, I think the fins are going to need rounding off but aside from that I cannot see any other problem. If you know diffeent I would greatly appreciate the info.

John

dbsvolvos
480 Expert

Post by dbsvolvos » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:33 pm

john ,

go to the library and get Croners Road Transport Law , they have sections on type approval which may be of help .

otherwise try getting that thing SVA 'd it would never pass , they have a 100mm ball that they roll around on the bodywork to check for projections , those fins would almost certainly fail , its an idea.

johnd
480 Expert

Post by johnd » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:20 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. Off down the library I go then! With regards to the ball thing how would all the rear wing type spoilers out there be legal? Im assuming they are as there are that many cars with them.

Cheers

John

Well......there goes the Boadicia type wheel blades idea then!!! :rofl:

Iain
480 Newbie

Post by Iain » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:42 pm

Yes John it's the end plates I was on about. Anything with an edge to it, or a point is an MOT fail. I think if you brought the leading edge back to the leading edge of the aerofoil, and put a generous radius on them you'd be Ok.

I don't think there is anything online about Construction and Use, at least I've never been able to find anything.
The only printed bits I've ever seen was many years ago when I played with 4wd's. All of the first bullbars had a 3-5 mm steel plate upright, there was a lot of debate at the time whether they contravened C&E due to the potential damage to pedestrians. Without exception, all the manufacturers changed to a T profile upright to "spread the load", not that it would make much difference with 1.5 ton's of vehicle behind it.

As an aside, are you using a NACA profile or just something you made up?
If it's NACA, I may be interested in a couple. Any chance you could mail me a pic or diagram of the profile to:
patersoniain@yahoo.com

Iain

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:15 pm

Hi Iain,

I've had a look at the SVA requirements and I'm going to bring them in a bit to be within the floor line negating the need to vastly shape them. I am going to radius the edges of the fins though to bring them into SVA regulation standard.

The spoiler is a plain profile as oppposed to a NACA profile as all it was meant for was to be a replacement to the volvo item and at a downangle I cannot see a NACA profile being of much effect. Also as most of our car's are standard road-going vehicles, and spoilers don't generate much downforce below 80mph, it would be too much work related to the benefits. The same goes for the rear, when it's ready.

Incidentally did you want them for a race car? I do have ProDesktop and PowerFLOW and could simulate the relative aerodynamics of the shape. This package has been of benefit in aeroynamic fins that I have made before, admittedly this wasn't for cars but seeing as Jaguar use it I'm sure it's pretty damn good.

Cheers

John

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:55 pm

Where is this spoiler attached to the front? As the front of the 480 is composite and plastic, wouldn't the downforce created by a 'well designed' spoiler cause warpage in the mounting points thus adjusting the angle of the spoiler (if not pulling it off completely)? And does the 480 Really need a front spoiler? The standard volvo spoiler is good for looks, but is inherently useless. The spoilerless 480 sticks well enough at speeds above 80mph as it is.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

Iain
480 Newbie

Post by Iain » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:12 pm

Wedge shaped cars generally suffer from lift at the front, actually most road cars suffer to some extent. On road cars deeper airdams, or spoilers, don't so much provide downforce as reduce lift. Sometimes quite significantly, with only minor additions to standard bumpers.

John, I'll pM you.

Iain

keithemm
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by keithemm » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:56 am

Good point mat. Especially as no one would dream of going over 70mph, that being the maximum speed limit in the UK. Surely spoilers and such only really come into their own at really high speeds, such as 100mph+ ?

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:32 am

keithemm wrote:no one would dream of going over 70mph
Martin can vouch for my innocence! Me, speed, never!
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:53 am

Hmmm, afraid, not for me either, but appreciate you've put a bit of work into them.. If you're looking to make any money, maybe if you created a shape more like the original, lost the aluminium and had carbon fins extending rearwards? Take it you cant shape the carbon?

Snow caps seemed to have a lot of interest. Again, I reckon if you wanted to profit from making them I reckon peeps on here would only like them if they were as close to the volvo one as pos and not O.T.T! Sprayable?

pol

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Mat, apparently Volvo thought their spoiler increased handling and drivability. I find it hard to believe aswell, you can take it up with them. I doubt it will get pulled off as it can take my weight and I weigh 75kg. With regards to warpage, composites are less susceptible than metals (if it was a thin metal panel then probably) and as mentioned large downforce effects don't really come into play above 80mph. It seems to work fine for me. The only issues with regards to composites is in the event of a high impact. The spoiler itself is made of the same stuff bulletproof glass is made of.

Pol, yeah most people seem to want the same or moulded types. I'm not really making them to make vast amounts of money. At the end of the day I was trying to save people money over the shite Volvo one but people, it would seem would rather pull out all the negative aspects of it than save themselves £60. I may do some moulded ones eventually but don't really have the time and that's BS's territory. We shall see. Ill probably just convert these to rears to sell to the MaxPower market. I do still have all the carbon in my freezer though!! :(

We shall see if I have the time to do the snowcaps, ill try over the next few weeks but i do warn everyone it is NOT going to be an exact copy of the Volvo one. Maybe I should have mentioned this before making the spoilers :rofl:

As ever all the feedback has been greatly appreciated.

John

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:16 pm

Hmmm......what would people actually want from a spoiler/snowcap then?

Check the market first...always a good plan!

John