Rear lamp Seals / Marker light seals / Headlamp Hinges / knobs / clips / Footwell lamps /Roller Blind

Cleaned up the garage and found some parts you want to sell? Or are you looking for that one part? You can advertise or request just about anything that has to do with the Volvo 480 in here: brochures, towing-hooks, antenna's, etc etc...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Rear lamp Seals / Marker light seals / Headlamp Hinges / knobs / clips / Footwell lamps /Roller Blind

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:58 pm

So......

Long time members may recall the Little shop of horrors, but during lockdown, and the Rescue revival, it became a little bit apparent that there was more stuff needed that couldn't be got as easily now thanks to us no longer being part of Europe.

So, to further add to my loss making venture, I decided to get rear lamp seals and rear marker light seals reproduced. The process is very straight forward. You have a tool created, then use that tool to press out your seals in your material of choice. Woo hoo, I hear the bank calling, this time next year rodders etc etc etc

For the rear lense seals, this was quite simple. Hand them over a pair of lamps, lots of lumps of old seals to give them a rough idea what they're dealing with, and many, many months later (remember, this was in lockdown!), you're asked to select your material of choice (6mm EPDM foam if you're interested), they then press you some seals....

Which fit rather lovely.....

You then, obviously, have to test them on many random folks (I thank you all) to ensure they fit and work as expected.

The marker seals were a tad more interesting...

Firstly, you're not sealing against a flat piece of metal. So in order to make a tool, 3D scanning needed to be employed. Pop the marker out, drive down and let them scan away?

In the words of Miss Minogue "I should be so Lucky"

"can you give us a section of wing?" :shock:

Anyhoo.......

The small dots are what the scanner picks up, allowing the whole thing to be accurately modelled in 3d; they scan it with the market lamp in, and the marker light out, they scan the marker light itself, thus allowing a super accurate model to be made, and thus, a perfect tool to be produced.

And with a perfect tool, you can make perfect seals.

Now, in true "get poor slowly" fashion, both of these products will be being sold at cost price, because, after the expense of having a tool made, the next expense is the material they're pressed from. Which you buy in Rolls - BIG ROLLS, which means that even if I supplied a set of seals to every 480 owner in the country, I'd still have spares.....

So,
a pair of rear light seals will cost you £20
a pair of Side marker seals will cost you £20

I'll be bringing sets to any meets if people want to see them before buying, or want to save postage.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear lamp Seals / Marker light seals / Headlamp Hinges / knobs / clips / Footwell lamps /Roller Blind

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:17 pm

And this, Jeff, is why we fuc*ing love you!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear lamp Seals / Marker light seals / Headlamp Hinges / knobs / clips / Footwell lamps /Roller Blind

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:27 pm

all ofwhich assumes that you can remove the lens in the first place, mine appear to be held in 'rather securely' even after the removal of the obvious bolts and the 'not so' one at the top outer corner...
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear lamp Seals and Marker light seals

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:38 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:27 pm
all ofwhich assumes that you can remove the lens in the first place, mine appear to be held in 'rather securely' even after the removal of the obvious bolts and the 'not so' one at the top outer corner...
A hairdryer is your friend here..... Gently warm up the surrounding areas. Don't go too hot in any area, but half an hour or so of warming and most sealants are ready to give up

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for all your work. Put me down for a pair of side marker seals for my next swedish meatball run :wink:

Would be great to do a side-by-side comparison with what I already have.

Kind Regards,

J.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

balto8
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by balto8 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:51 am

Top job. Plus far more decent prices than some other Dutch gentelman charges for them.

Count me in for a set of each, I'll PM you.
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG

Ortovox77
480 Newbie

Post by Ortovox77 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:30 am

This is really nice work that you share with the fellow 480 owners.
I would love to buy a pair of the rear lamp seals if you send to Sweden.
------------------------------------------------
Volvo 480 Turbo 1994
Volvo 480 ES/GT 1995
Volvo 480 Turbo 1988
Volvo 480 Turbo 1990 (will be scrapped)
BMW Z4 coupe (ESS supercharged)
Saab 9-5 2006
Rotax DD2 Gokart
------------------------------------------------

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:38 pm

Happy to post to any member who needs them!

I may try and setup a European distribution point to make it slightly easier.....

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:44 pm

Just a couple of updates:

European distribution can now be done much easier by Friend of 480's, the man, the myth, the legend: Brinkie.

What he doesn't have supply of (yet!) is the latest addition to the reproduction run:

Headlamp Popup Brackets

These little plastic fella's were made in plastic and are the hinge the popups pivot on. They usually last very well, but in the event of something becoming trapped, they'll shear off (but in theory, you get to keep your fingers!). There's two per side, so 4 are required if you have a really bad day.

£7.50 each plus postage.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:38 pm

More updates!

Got a flappy door panel? You probably missing these at the lower half (should be three of them!)

£3 each plus postage

Heater knob! Sadly, to get the finish I wanted, they had to be done in white (grey is a different material). Still look quite spiffing though!

Here's what they look like fitted:

£5 each plus postage

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:42 pm

Then we've some stuff that isn't mine, (they're from the Netherlands) but I'm promoting (and potentially holding stock!)

Silver wearing off your Badges? You need these:

And the more nerdier 480 owners will know where these live:

I'm hoping to do actual fitting examples of the above soon (like when/if work ever calms down....)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:46 pm

Also just to add that there's some very interesting things in development! I teased a few of you and the results seem encouraging! :D

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:11 pm

Teaser time

Ignore the finish, they're the prototypes, so printed in PLA.

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:32 pm

You can count me in for a set of those housings when they’re done!
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:33 pm

Final approved parts now available!

This is what you'd be getting. Obviously, you'd need to add a glovebox (or tailgate) lamp, and the cover from the glovebox

To produce this:

There is a fitting FAQ on the main site; The part I produce is the Volvo partnumber 3413356 (original cover is partnumber 3418246, and obviously, long since unobtainium!)

£35 a pair + Postage

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:26 pm

More added!

Roller blind brackets

£20 per pair, plus postage

john denmead
480 Newbie

Post by john denmead » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:33 pm

How much for the rear lamp seals.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:46 pm

john denmead wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:33 pm
How much for the rear lamp seals.
jifflemon wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:58 pm
Now, in true "get poor slowly" fashion, both of these products will be being sold at cost price, because, after the expense of having a tool made, the next expense is the material they're pressed from. Which you buy in Rolls - BIG ROLLS, which means that even if I supplied a set of seals to every 480 owner in the country, I'd still have spares.....

So,
a pair of rear light seals will cost you £20
a pair of Side marker seals will cost you £20

I'll be bringing sets to any meets if people want to see them before buying, or want to save postage.